Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious..
2004 highlander v6 and 241000 miles. For the last couple of months if you floored the hl to pass or pull out in traffic, the engine would rev up and just hang out there with no power while everyone you pulled out in front of cheered you on with their fists and told you your number one! Then when you let off the gas a bit the trans would downshift a couple of times in quick succession and you were back to normal.
I figured this must be a computer issue, and someone mentioned if you touch the + and - battery wires together (while disconnected from the battery) that may clear the memory from the computer. So I tried it, no little spark indicating something happened, but my problem seems to be gone! Has been good for several weeks.
My question is, is this a thing? Does it clear some memory not affected just by unhooking the battery? I have heard of wonky shifting highlanders before, but I never heard of this fix until now.
Thanks for your insight!

·
AvConsult
3,552 Posts
It's not the computers fault. It's an internal issue with the trans. I wouldn't go futzing around with the electrical system, especially shorting things out.

There's plenty of forum threads regarding the treatment of dodgy older HL transmissions, so I won't repeat all that here.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking through lots of old threads, they all say to go to the dealer and have them recalibrate the shift points. I think it has to do with the computer "learning" your driving habits, because when the engine would rev, it wouldn't make power. No, it wasn't just the trans slipping, I have plenty of experience with that in other vehicles...
Heard of that trick from a Honda tech who tried it on his vw. He had a bad connection to his throttle position sensor which made the car run like crap but with no cel. He used this trick to clear the memory in the computer and the car was fixed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Mgeorge
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing