Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just had the TSB done for my shocks, I have an SR5, NOT the TRD package, so they replaced all 4 shocks with bilsteins among everything else.

I would like to at a minimum, get the front up another inch or so on par with the rear.

What is the cheapest option? spacers? bilstein 5100s adjusted to 2.5in? would I need new control arms with either option?

I really don't want to spend more than $500 max...

Can I add another leaf to the rear or is the TSB about as loaded as it should be??

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
The 5100's go up to 2.5 inches in the front and you would not need new UCA's or coils, but they would be nice. Would cost more than $500 though. Spacers are also a little over $100-200 and you would not need to replace the UCA's with this either.

I believe you could add another leaf in the rear as well.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5100's go up to 2.5 inches in the front and you would not need new UCA's or coils, but they would be nice. Would cost more than $500 though. Spacers are also a little over $100-200 and you would not need to replace the UCA's with this either.

I believe you could add another leaf in the rear as well.
To be honest I really don't know what the Upper control arms are/do.

What kind of problems can I potential have if I don't replace them and just do a spacer for $100 or bilstein 5100s?

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Get the Billies and set them to 2.5" and get an AAL from Wheelers you will be fine. You can get the whole setup 5100's from DSMS for $299 shipped for free and the AAL from Wheelers is around $90 shipped to you. All for under $400 not bad and sitting nice and running smooth! When I do get money I will get UCA's and coils but right now no problems and the ride is super smooth. I will post pics of my install and other mini mods.

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
Well you have a stock uca but it doesnt have a ball in the middle to maneuver around and it has very limited movement. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it without a picture but you don't need one with a spacer lift because it mounts on top of your stock shocks. With the 5100's you wouldnt really need it unless you are getting new coilover's as well and are lifting 2.5+ inches. Sorry if I'm confusing you but hopefully I made some sense.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
with a 3" lift, you lose caster and your alignment will be off. it's driveable and it isnt that bad. its only noticeable at highway speeds, your steering wheel be all over the place. some people can live with it, or you can correctly fix your alignment by getting aftermarket upper control arms

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Well you have a stock uca but it doesnt have a ball in the middle to maneuver around and it has very limited movement. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it without a picture but you don't need one with a spacer lift because it mounts on top of your stock shocks. With the 5100's you wouldnt really need it unless you are getting new coilover's as well and are lifting 2.5+ inches. Sorry if I'm confusing you but hopefully I made some sense.
You don't need a UCA with a spacer lift? Thats strange, I sure need them! :thumbsdow
with a 3" lift, you lose caster and your alignment will be off. it's driveable and it isnt that bad. its only noticeable at highway speeds, your steering wheel be all over the place. some people can live with it, or you can correctly fix your alignment by getting aftermarket upper control arms
You might wanna listen to this guy :) Oh and it isn't that bad honestly, I've had vehicles drive far worse than the Taco with the bigger tires. It's very driveable and after awhile you get used to it.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
You don't need a UCA with a spacer lift? Thats strange, I sure need them! :thumbsdow

He meant TC UCA's! ;)

You might wanna listen to this guy :) Oh and it isn't that bad honestly, I've had vehicles drive far worse than the Taco with the bigger tires. It's very driveable and after awhile you get used to it.
Under 3" you don't need them just rotate them every 5k and get an alignment when every so often. :thumbsup:

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
My understanding was anything over 1.5" you'll need them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now I'm Nervous....

I did the $180 or so 3" Lift Kit from ExtremeTruckToys, spacer in front and AAL in the back. Camber was way off afterwards needless to say, but my alignment guy got all that back to spec. Since it's my boys truck, who just started driving, it hasn't been over 50mph. Seems fine, but with the bigger tires/treads I do notice it "wandering" a little. I thought this was a function of the tires (TerraGrapplers 265's). Is it the function of something else, and should I expect bad things to happen at 70mph? :eek:

Thanks for the info to this appreciative Newbie.

·
Grey
To be determined....
145 Posts
Get the Billies and set them to 2.5" and get an AAL from Wheelers you will be fine. You can get the whole setup 5100's from DSMS for $299 shipped for free and the AAL from Wheelers is around $90 shipped to you. All for under $400 not bad and sitting nice and running smooth!
:banger: Woooah never thought of the $400 Billies with TSB option + leafpack resulting in a 2" + lift.

or......

You can spend between $1700 - $2500 for a lift from Toytec or Wheelers with TC UCAs Coil Overs , rear shock upgrades and get 3"

or You can go Fabtech 6" for $3000 - $3500 or so.

Not exact price quotes (don't shoot me) but I think those numbers are close.

More confusion.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I did the $180 or so 3" Lift Kit from ExtremeTruckToys, spacer in front and AAL in the back. Camber was way off afterwards needless to say, but my alignment guy got all that back to spec. Since it's my boys truck, who just started driving, it hasn't been over 50mph. Seems fine, but with the bigger tires/treads I do notice it "wandering" a little. I thought this was a function of the tires (TerraGrapplers 265's). Is it the function of something else, and should I expect bad things to happen at 70mph? :eek:

Thanks for the info to this appreciative Newbie.
Damn, I wish I was him growing up. I never got a new truck!
Its because of the caster being off, TC UCA's will fix it. Mine does the same thing but I run larger tires and aftermarket wheels. It doesn't change much on the freeway, I think it smooths out a little if any. Eventually I'll dump the 600 on a set. If he's a good driver, I think he'll be fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you buy from Down South Motorsports he is still offering the full set of 5100's f/r for $299 and then if you want to save a little more get the procomp 13120 from amazon for 31.88
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-09-Toyota-Tacoma-4x4-2wd-TRD-Bilstein-5100-Shocks_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem220379940779QQitemZ220379940779QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-Comp-13120-Short/dp/B0007Y5W66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1238015221&sr=8-1
Total cost of 332 before the shipping of the add a leaf so maybe add $20 for that $350 at your door, I had my springs compressed at a shop and installed onto my new 5100's for $40
wheel alignment should be around $50 and so for a shade over $400 you can be in pretty good shape and the truck will ride nice too if you are doing the labor yourself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to the help/input of "blackhawke88, tgrst, neubs, DucDaEvil" & countless others, this is what I did and where I'm at today.

In the beginning I had the Hellwig Helper Springs, prior to the knowledge of the TSB. At the time I got the rear tsb done (pm for details on how painful this process was with one dealership vs another:headbang:) I was able to get the dealership install a 1.25" top mount Daystar spacer kit ($40) up front during the free tsp replacement of the front shocks. I also had new tires installed at the same time.

(I didn't want to push the TSB issue too far so what made it easy for the both of us was that I souced the shock mount support sub-assy: Toyota p/n 48609-04020 qty 2 pieces ($110.00) ahead of time and installed the new longer mounting studs that came with the Daystar spacer myself and gave them pre-assembled to the dealership.)

So here we are today. I am very happy with the results both in looks and handling characteristics. Long term I will souce the Toytec TSB rear AAL ($80.00) if needed and call it a day.

Rear TSB: Whoa Nelly.....
Spacer Lift: Small Investment
New suspension @ 33,000 miles & Happy customer: Priceless:clap:

Enjoy....

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Thanks to the help/input of "blackhawke88, tgrst, neubs, DucDaEvil" & countless others, this is what I did and where I'm at today.

In the beginning I had the Hellwig Helper Springs, prior to the knowledge of the TSB. At the time I got the rear tsb done (pm for details on how painful this process was with one dealership vs another:headbang:) I was able to get the dealership install a 1.25" top mount Daystar spacer kit ($40) up front during the free tsp replacement of the front shocks. I also had new tires installed at the same time.

(I didn't want to push the TSB issue too far so what made it easy for the both of us was that I souced the shock mount support sub-assy: Toyota p/n 48609-04020 qty 2 pieces ($110.00) ahead of time and installed the new longer mounting studs that came with the Daystar spacer myself and gave them pre-assembled to the dealership.)

So here we are today. I am very happy with the results both in looks and handling characteristics. Long term I will souce the Toytec TSB rear AAL ($80.00) if needed and call it a day.

Rear TSB: Whoa Nelly.....
Spacer Lift: Small Investment
New suspension @ 33,000 miles & Happy customer: Priceless:clap:

Enjoy....

looks like you got local help :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts