Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Official TN Memburr
'88 4Runner
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spun the #3 connecting rod bearing on my '88 4Runner's 22RE. When I disassembled, I found two things. First, my crankshaft is not screwed, it just has the babbot material from the bearing fused onto the machined surface (which I have cleaned off with emery cloth and a lot of prayer!). Second, I found that the locking tabs on the connecting rod bearings were all mixed up. Some of the end caps had the locking tab butting up against the connecting rod's locking tab, and some were on the other side. As an old school backyard mechanic, my gut tells me that these tabs should be in the position to lock against the twisting force of the turning crankshaft. Both manuals I have (a Chilton's and a Hanes) both show diagrams of the tabs facing each other. Furthermore, the central main bearing (which can only go in one way or you can not bolt the oil pickup to it) shows that it is supposed to be this way for the mains. My gut tells me this is wrong, but the manuals and the main bearings tell me it's right!

Someone please explain!

D'mon
:confused:

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
I've got an 87 apart, and all the tabs are on the same side, both rods and mains. Someone may have goofed....

·
Official TN Memburr
'88 4Runner
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I wonder why???

I had half and half on the rod bearings, all together on the mains.

D'mon

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
:confused: Who knows...
Better have them checked, just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have been rebuilding engines 20 plus years and Toyota rods and mains they all go tang to tang meaning on the same side for mains and rods
i was looking for piston orientation to rod and you helped me out I was pretty sure the marks at 6 and 12 oclock go to front and yes you are correct if rods were run with cap backward it will spin a bearing or cause some type of damage on ones run and did not spin take to machine shop and have them torque together correctly and check for out of roundness to see if you can still use them if out if tolerance have them recondition them like brand new they will be hope i helped crank shaft check size and roundness on it also how rough can also cause you a problem should be very smoothhope it runs great when you are done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.