Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to swap my two kicker compvr fifteen for a tighter sq sub, and if I can match the volume too, tha'd be ideal.I'm going to play around with winisd and see what kind of a tuned ported I can make for one twelve that'll fit into my car. I figure it can possibly be bigger than my two fifteens;)
Are there any twelves that'll be really pleased off one 600d. I feel like it'd need to be somethin I could bridge to at or around 1 ohm so i could maximize the potential of the amp. So that means it'd have to be a dvc. I'd like you to consider the middle to lower end of the price spectrum as I'll be on a tight budget.
Thanks

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Adire Shiva's

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shiva has good SQ? if I have it running parallel, so down to 4 ohms I believe I would only be putting 275 from my amp ( is that 275 total or to each VC) I'm not entirely sure about that.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
parallel will give you 2 ohm load, if you want a 1 ohm load get Image Dynamics ID12's D4, that will give you a 1 ohm load. I also have 3 JL 10W3D6 that will do 1ohm load, 600 watts is what I was running them, they are accurate, and tight. I believe there is a pic on my website, just an alternate for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am not sure if it's a good idea to choose a subwoofer soley on what impedance load you can get. The irony of your situation is you are looking to increase SQ but you want to load the amp down to extract all of the power from it's design. As impedance drops, so does damping factor. The simple story of damping factor is the ability of the amplifier to control the woofer. The higher the damping factor, the better the control over the woofer. You really need to prioritize what is important to you. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

Regards,

J.Colasanti
JL Audio, Inc.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appriciate the imput J, but my intention is to not minimize the impedence, dispite what my above post says, i just want to maximize the amp. I will be keeping the 600d, so i guess what you are implying is that I need a sub tat will sing with only around 275 watts. any suggestions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My post was meant to give you something to consider and to give you information so you can make an informed choice. I never meant to imply anything. If SQ is the most important, consider not loading down the amp. If output is most important than the extra power will come in handy.

Regards,

J.Colasanti
JL Audio, Inc.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and I appriciate your doing so. I really am just asking for any recomendations about a driver that will preform excellently, with respect to sq, and still have some power, run at the 275 I'll have going into 4 ohms. I'd still like any direction you all have

·
Registered
47 Posts
first, how much can you spend?

If i had something to replace the compvr along the lines of the same price range, I would pick up the Image Dynamics IDQ of the IDv3. Or if you can find them for a really good price, get the JL Audio W6 (original). :)

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is really just research, I won't be actually buying a new sub till the new year, then I'll probobly want to spend 1-200. I might just see about some nice fiberglass enclosures for my 15's in the corners of the trunk, that'll help the sound, more cubes, and cost a lot less

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I dont think his amp has a very high damping factor to begin with since it is a class D amp, but damping factor is not the only thing to look at. My arc has a 2000 damping factor, and my Tru has 700, they both sound pretty dam close, the Arc at 4ohm and the Tru at 1 ohm. But I have owned amps that were not up to par with the Arc, but it wasnt just the damping factor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
eddiem67 said:
I dont think his amp has a very high damping factor to begin with since it is a class D amp, but damping factor is not the only thing to look at. My arc has a 2000 damping factor, and my Tru has 700, they both sound pretty dam close, the Arc at 4ohm and the Tru at 1 ohm. But I have owned amps that were not up to par with the Arc, but it wasnt just the damping factor.
There are some amps out there that use patented Class D circuitry and have a damping factor of greater than 500 @ 4 ohms. :cool:
You are correct though, Class D designs have limited numbers in general, all the more reason to keep it high as possible if your goal is SQ. My post was just pointing out the irony of the situation, people are going to do what they are going to do no matter what is posted on the internet!

Regards,

J.Colasanti
JL Audio, Inc.

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
There are some amps out there that use patented Class D circuitry and have a damping factor of greater than 500 @ 4 ohms.
Yes Phoenix XENON line does that...........ohhh you must have meant the JL Slash series (the original)..........forgot about those amps, it was only my best selling amp for 4 years, kind of a shame i left tweeter i guess. Though i cant believe you guys want so much for a buy-in. If i was the owner of a company like as well known and established as JLA, i would think that they would want thier gear in MOM and POP shops. That is where all of the best competition cars are from.............Just a thought Mr. Colasanti. I still love your product, just hurts not being able to get into it. I think i had the last 2 18w6's that were made thier. =0)

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soooo, what are some good sq subs that'll play nicely at 275 watts into four ohms. Preferably under 200 bucks. I know you suggested the shiva, would that put out good sq tuned low with that wattage? I really know nothing about tuned boxes, I've always been a sealed box guy(poor info when I was younger)

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so, w3v2d2 or shiva? for a one sub application in a low tuned ported box.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Properly installed and tuned for SQ, you will not be disappointed with either.

I would personally go for the Shiva as it is less expensive and has that "mystery factor" going for it. Also, when people point at it and go, "What's that?", you can say, "That's my Shiva, The Hindu God of Destruction."

How cool is that?

Now, having said that, I am running a 10WO in a ported enclosure tuned to 46 hz.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool, I agree, the shiva does carry that, "you ain't seen this" appeal, at least compared to a JL, plus a really nice price tag. I found it for 125 shipped, from acoustic visions. does anyone know if they are an authorized dealer. They mentioned the factory warrenty, but I could not find anything that said we are an authorized dealer. anyone know?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts