Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pick up an 07 Camry CE for my dad. I have a few questoins. i want to get HIDs installed, nothing super fancy 4300K ....anyone use this seller at ebay flashplus . Is there anything special to do besides just installing the bulbs and ballasts, I mean modding the housing in any way to decrease glare for oncoming traffic....2nd, I will install an alarm myseld, I am pretty capable and have done this before, I need to know if there is a trunk release module already I can tap into so that i can pop the trunk or will i have to get a trunk release module (popper) installed also ? I dont want to get the LE since it is about a 1000 more and only seems to add keyless entry and power seat for driver...is this the only change from CE auto to base LE auto ???? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Don't put those direct fit HID trash in your 07. The optics in the headlamp are precision designed to utilize a H11 bulb, not a D2S or D2R. If you should do this against better judgement, at least cover up the squirrel spotters so that you don't blind everyone else that you share the road with.

I have a CE and the only differences, as you said, are a power seat and keyless entry. The manual adjust seat lacks tilt and lumbar adjust that the power seat has. Whether or not the car is wired for a power seat in case you might later want to put one in, I have no idea. I think the LE also has some chrome trim on the inside that the CE lacks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
touringcamry said:
Don't put those direct fit HID trash in your 07. The optics in the headlamp are precision designed to utilize a H11 bulb, not a D2S or D2R. If you should do this against better judgement, at least cover up the squirrel spotters so that you don't blind everyone else that you share the road with.

I have a CE and the only differences, as you said, are a power seat and keyless entry. The manual adjust seat lacks tilt and lumbar adjust that the power seat has. Whether or not the car is wired for a power seat in case you might later want to put one in, I have no idea. I think the LE also has some chrome trim on the inside that the CE lacks.
TY for the super quick reply. That company (as many others) sell H11 bulbs with their kits (one can select this size as well as from an array of temps). I would go with a 4300K h11 kit, if I go with an h11 bulb, will i still have to cover the squirrel spotters. Could you look at this item and see if it would be ideal...190070553051 if I chose the h11 bulbs ?

I would never consider power seats later, do you know anytrhing about the trunk release also?? I am curious how the LE with trunk release actually releases the trunk ?? TIA

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
I've said this time and time again, and I'll say it again. Camry projectors are HALOGEN projectors, NOT HID projectors. Although they have a decent output, they ARE NOT designed to house HIDs. The distance between the bulb base, the shield, and the lens are all too short to provide a proper output. Aside from that, 99% of rebased HID kits, especially those on ebay, are made extremely cheaply in Taiwan and burn out in a year or less.

No matter what you do, YES, you have to cover the squirrel spotters. A Gen 6 with HIDs and non-covered squirrel spotters was driving behind me last night and the glare pissed the shit outta me.

If you're going to get HIDs, do it right the first time and retrofit true HID projectors.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
The H11 kits that the seller sells are D2S or D2R, most likely D2S, bulbs but they changed the base to fit where a H11 bulb should fit. The output from a H11 bulb illuminates is very different from a D2S bulb. There is no HID replacement for H11, all they do is change the base; there is a lot more involved in the optics than just the base.

If all you want is the HID look, try to find some Silver Star bulbs or something of that nature.

What do you mean by how the trunk releases? You put the key in the key hole and turn CW to open it or pull the lever by the driver seat. The driver seat lever is connected to the latch in the trunk lid by a Bowden cable.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
white3ch0c0late said:
I've said this time and time again, and I'll say it again. Camry projectors are HALOGEN projectors, NOT HID projectors. Although they have a decent output, they ARE NOT designed to house HIDs. The distance between the bulb base, the shield, and the lens are all too short to provide a proper output. Aside from that, 99% of rebased HID kits, especially those on ebay, are made extremely cheaply in Taiwan and burn out in a year or less.

No matter what you do, YES, you have to cover the squirrel spotters. A Gen 6 with HIDs and non-covered squirrel spotters was driving behind me last night and the glare pissed the shit outta me.

If you're going to get HIDs, do it right the first time and retrofit true HID projectors.
I am sorry, but i dont understand, what shall i do the 1st time??? is there a diffrent kit i can buy or can you point me in the right direction please??

The trunk release question is this....the LE camry comes with a keyless entry, which can pop the trunk for you. When someone presses the trunk release button on the remote, the latch mechanism opens, does anyone know if there is a separate mechanism that does this on the LE versus the CE....can i simply tap in to this with an alarm

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
white3chocolate means that if you are going to put HIDs in your car, you need to also integrate projectors/elipsoids from a car that originally had HID lamps such as an Acura TL or TSX so that the light illuminates the road propperly; meaning not to do it half-assed and just put HID capsules in your current lights with optics designed for use with H11 bulbs.

The LE probably has a motor or solenoid that pulls on the Bowden cable. My Gen 5 SE had remote trunk open. If you put the key in the key hole and turned CCW to lock the trunk, the remote nor the lever could open the trunk. The pull handle on the trunk lid could still open the trunk though. I don't kow if the Gen 6 have the same setup or not since my CE doesn't have keyless entry.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Ok, I'll get into basics--

There are 4 types of headlights that make up the majority of the cars on the road: halogen reflectors, HID reflectors, halogen projectors, and HID projectors. Halogen reflectors are the most common, and cheapest headlights. Those are the headlights that you see on most cars. HID reflectors come on cars like the IS300 and the Toyota Sienna, and they are special reflectors that are designed to house D2R HID bulbs, and also have a special shield to block any glare.

Then there are halogen projectors, which your Camry has. These projectors are designed similarly to HID projectors, but the optics are slightly different, as they are not designed to house HID bulbs. The cutoff shield is slightly different on halogen projectors than on HID projectors, the distance between the bulb and the lens is different, and the distance between the bulb and the shield is different. While it has become a common thing among "enthusiasts" to put rebased HIDs (true HIDs have a D2R or D2S base (as opposed to 9005, 9006, H11, etc.)) into their Camry projectors, the light output is mediocre at best. On top of that, the light cutoff is blurred, and if you don't cover the squirrel spotters, you WILL be blinding other drivers.

In addition, these rebased "kits" are almost always just an immitation product of true HIDs, and will only last about a year, if you're lucky. True HID products last for 6-7 years before you need to replace anything.

Now if you wanted a TRUE HID setp, what it would entail is literally opening your headlights, removing the stock projector, and somehow fitting an HID projector from a vehicle that comes with them from factory (ie. S2000, TSX, RX330, LS430, BMW e46, etc.), and using OEM HID components to power a set of D2S bulbs. Its a lot more work, but its more than worth it. JSM1284 can vouch for this one, as he is almost finished with a retrofit on his Gen 6. I have a stock Gen 6 sitting in the garage, and believe me, at night, I would MUCH rather be driving my Gen 5, which is equipped with a retrofitted set of TSX projectors.

If you want a plethora of information and knowledge on HIDs and HID retrofits, you can visit HIDPlanet.com ...register for the forums and enjoy the mountains of info they have.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank you folks for setting that straight....I figured it was an easy to do no big deal kinda thing, find some ballasts and drop in the h11 base bulbs and call it a day, I simply may stick with stock. I wonder what the look would be though just dropping those guys in, if 4300k bulbs were used would the light output be better than stock ?? How is the light output of the stock ?? We have an 04 camry now and it is quite good.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Eyekutr said:
Well thank you folks for setting that straight....I figured it was an easy to do no big deal kinda thing, find some ballasts and drop in the h11 base bulbs and call it a day, I simply may stick with stock. I wonder what the look would be though just dropping those guys in, if 4300k bulbs were used would the light output be better than stock ?? How is the light output of the stock ?? We have an 04 camry now and it is quite good.
Don't get me wrong-- it wouldn't be a terrible thing to just drop in a plug-and-play kit. The output would definitely be way better than stock, but way worse than a true HID setup. However, the main concern would be longevity-- OEM HID setups last 700% longer than plug-and-play kits.

If you are really dying for HIDs and you don't feel up to a retrofit, my suggestion would be to go with a kit from xenondepot.com. They use genuine Phillips poducts (bulbs and ballasts), which are basically OEM stuff. Which means that they'll last you the full 6-7 years that HIDs should. On the downside, they are definitely more pricey-- $404 for a kit. But remember.. if you DO go this route, you MUST cover the squirrel spotters (out of common courtesy, and to minimize attraction of the "red and blue"), as you WILL blind other drivers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is there a thread describing the squirrel cover mod....

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Two comments: The stock output is quite good. Not an OEM HID, but one of the better OEM halogen's available, IMO.

Does your Dad give a crap about having an aftermarket non-wrranty HID kit on a car with perfectly good headlights already on it? You did say it was for him.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wireless said:
Two comments: The stock output is quite good. Not an OEM HID, but one of the better OEM halogen's available, IMO.

Does your Dad give a crap about having an aftermarket non-wrranty HID kit on a car with perfectly good headlights already on it? You did say it was for him.

You know, he does not even know the difference, he is diabetic, poor night vision is a conceren, so I wanted to hook it up as soon as we get the car, hence i would never consider anything but 4300K....I will just check the stock lights and see how they do. I appreciate all the replies.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
does your dad need/want hids? if its his car, leave it as it is...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts