Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

Been reading through this site for a couple of days and haven't been able to find answers to a few questions. And I do have a lot of questions, never owned a truck before.

Currently driving a 01 VW GTI. Hasn't been suiting my lifestyle very well the last few years as I am an avid outdoor junkie. Wasn't able to go on a hike on my days off this weekend as my GTI isn't able to take me to there and all of my buddies with a capable vehicle were not availible. I decided that this was the last time I would lose out on potential trip. I decided to trade-in for a off-road capable vehicle. This vehicle would be used as a daily driver to work and then the once/2 weeks trip. Need a vehicle that is capable of carrying mountain bikes, kayaks, hiking gear, climbing gear (not all at the same time).

Narrowed down my choices to a 02-03 Frontier, 01-03 Xterra, 01-03 Tacoma (most likely at this point), and a 03-05 Suburau Impreza Outback Edition.

I have a few truck related and Tacoma related questions.

1. Crew Cab or XtraCab? Mainly will be driving only myself but for trips, I usually go with 1 or 2 additional people and it seems cruel to subject someone to the backseats of a Xtracab. As most of my large gear will be attached to the roofrack, I THINK I won't miss having a longer cargo bed. Thoughts?

2. Planning to install Yakima roof rack. Any experience with roof racks on a Tacoma?

3. I know this is a Tacoma forum, but is paying the little bit extra for a Tacoma worth it when compared to a Frontier? Stories of rock-solid reliability seem worth it to me. And purchasing an used Toyota offers a larger sense of security than other makes.

4. As I have very little experience off-road, (The GTI can't do any) would a Tacoma be overkill for the type of roads I will be facing? To give you the sense of roads I will be facing, my GTI can do most of the roads during the summer. (It seems everytime I take it on these roads, the car rattles and squeaks more. Plus the cringing I do everytime I bottom out is painful). During the winters, I have no chance of taking it into the forests/mountains. Maybe, I could do with a Subaru? But I will be missing out on owning a beautiful looking truck such as the Tacoma.

Wow, this became quite the lengthy post. Much thanks to the people who take the time to read this and answer.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Welcome!

My 2000 Tacoma is the first pickup I've ever had. It's also the first used car I've bought; as you mentioned, I was more comfortable going with Toyota than anything else. I bought it as a second vehicle for hauling stuff that I can't or wouldn't want to carry in a car.

I would agree that that the back seat of the XtraCab would be uncomfortable for adults for any length of time. Although it's a great place to carry small things, I really don't think of it as a back seat.

The biggest adjustment I had to make driving a pickup is the way the pickup handles due to the fact that the back end is so light. When driving in 2WD, which is rear-wheel drive, it's way too easy for the V6 to spin the rear wheels even on dry pavement. You've got to have a little bit lighter touch on the gas pedal when pulling away from a stop. I got the 4WD as sort of a "bouns" - I wasn't looking for it specifically, but the truck I found in my price range happened to have it. I'm glad it does, because in any kind of wet weather, it's great to throw it in 4WD and not worry about the wheel spinning. I also bought some sand tubes to leave in the bed, and that helps, too.

The Tacoma would certainly handle just about any road - or trail or path in 4WD - that you take it to. I don't think you'd have any issues there. The Tacoma is made very well. You also make a comment about ground clearance - that's certainly something you don't need to worry about with a pickup or an SUV.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
I have an 04 ex cab and I can tell you the back seat is only good for kids. I'm a stepfather of two girls who are almost 8 and they are just the right size for those seats, so if you go on long trips with adults in the back thye will probably try to kill you after. I honestly wish now I got the crew cab but I think the ex-cab looks a lot better. BTW you said you are looking for a 01-03 Tacoma, why not an 04? You would pay more but the warranty would carry over longer.

I have no experience in roof racks.

The Frontier is a decent truck but the Toyota is a far superior truck, especially in the looks department. One of my friends had a 02(I think) Frontier and it felt like it was made substandard-like it rattled too much, the suspension wasnt tweaked right and didnt ride right on the highway.

My wife has a Subaru (Baja) which is incredible on gas, rides great, and is very easy to work on. But if you plan on going offroad or in the forest as you said look for a different vehicle. They may all be AWD but Subaru's are good in snow up to 3 inches I'd say because they are real low to the ground. But if the price is right and your not concerned about offroading or alot of snow then you cant lose with a Subaru. But I will say my last two vehicles (all new) were a 99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and an 03 Silverado and I've gotten a lot more comments and looks from my Tacoma which is pretty much stock.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've owned both Nissan and Toyota trucks, in addition to their American counterparts. The difference is night and day...the Nissan is like driving a tin can compared with the Toyota. The American trucks just aren't up to snuff, either. They don't last as long; they experience far more problems; they aren't put together as well.

There is a big reason that Toyota is known for its quality. They're better trucks than the others.

I agree with the suggestion to go the double cab route. At some point you may be glad you have it, and there is so much more you can do with a full back seat.

I think the Tacoma would be excellent for what you describe. If you don't need a 4WD, check out the PreRunner. They're very capable trucks. But, if you regularly drive in sand, snow, mud, or intend to do any serious off-roading, there is no substitute for 4WD.

Best of luck!

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
1.) DoubleCab (thats what Toyota calls their crew cab)
3.) Pass on the Frontier. Its a nice truck but its no Tacoma.
4.) No, its not overkill. In the end, a Tacoma is a truck and a Subie is still just a car. The Tacoma will be able to handle anything you throw at, but the Subie really isnt built for off-road use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dana_15 said:
BTW you said you are looking for a 01-03 Tacoma, why not an 04? You would pay more but the warranty would carry over longer.
The 04s and most 03s I was looking at were out of my price range. Have roughly $25,000 (Canadian dollars) - which is roughly 21,000 US.

How much do Tacomas go for in your area?

cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks! Tons of comments, suggestions, and information.

I'm starting to lean more towards the Double Cab (Thanks for the correction Captain_Toyota) over the Xtracab. I was a passenger for a 5 hour ride in the back seat of a Toyota Truck and it was extremely painful and don't think I could ever allow anyone to be subjected to it.

However, anyone with the Double Cab miss having a longer bed?

The Frontier doesn't appeal to me on several fronts - styling, etc. But I needed a vehicle for a matter of comparison.

As for the Subie, The Impreza Outback Sport has an additional 0.4 inch of ground clearance over other Imprezas to make it a whopping 6.3 inches of ground clearance (sarcasm). Far shy of the 10-plus that the Tacoma has.

I am definately leaning on the Tacoma. It would be nice to go into the bush with a sense of assurance that this truck will handle all challenges. Now, on to the joys of hunting down a well-treated used Tacoma.

Thanks for all your input and more would be welcome,
Dave

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
D-Cab 4WD Tacoma is what sounds best for you.

And just get one of these.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
ham'n'jam said:
The 04s and most 03s I was looking at were out of my price range. Have roughly $25,000 (Canadian dollars) - which is roughly 21,000 US.

How much do Tacomas go for in your area?

cheers,
Dave

Thats funny I happend to drive through the dealers lot where I bought my Tacoma and they had a couple of 03 DC TRD tacos fully loaded. The price tag was 22,000 and they both had low miles (Im curious-my wifes Baja is a lease so were thinking ahead) and she loves my Tacoma, which I let her drive sparingly. Maybe I'll sell her mine for a friend price :naughty: and get a Tundra...... Anyways keep your eyes open and dont pay too much, but if you find the right one that had basic maintenance you'll get a nice truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tacoma is the way to go

hey there all -
This is my intro post as well...

I am also an avid outdoor fiend, and have driven several other vehicles that just didn't stack up to my Tacoma. Those others were(in no particular order):
88 Subaru
98 Subaru Outback
03 Honda Element

And now I'm in my Second tacoma, a 2000. Go for the double cab, that's my only regret. As for the rack, get a canopy and mount the track system from Yakima. It lets you vary the spread from front bar to back bar and makes it really easy fo remove the crossbars on that rare occasion that you want to wash your rig!

If you have any other questions, or if you would like to see some pics of my rack setup...just let me know!

Later -

Jesse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SeattleTaco said:
And now I'm in my Second tacoma, a 2000. Go for the double cab, that's my only regret. As for the rack, get a canopy and mount the track system from Yakima. It lets you vary the spread from front bar to back bar and makes it really easy fo remove the crossbars on that rare occasion that you want to wash your rig!

If you have any other questions, or if you would like to see some pics of my rack setup...just let me know!
Thanks for the reply!

I would like to see your roof rack setup. Did you install it yourself or did you get an approved place to install for you?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone.

Thanks for your input. I'm been looking for the past week and found two notables. And I'm going to start putting in an offer for one that I found.

Its a 01 DC TRD fully loaded w/ canopy and drop-in box liner. Has around 88,000KM (55,000miles). Original owner, claimed he never took it off-road. Original tires, etc.

Overall a solid well-maintained truck. Asking for 27,000 in Canadian dollars (23,500 US dollars) which is quite high but I hope to haggle it down to around 21,000 US dollars.

Give you updates on how the price negotiation and mechanic inspection goes.

Cheers,
Dave

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Thats a nice truck but haggle it down lower than 21(US). The value of that truck from KBB.com is $15535 fully loaded and in excellent condition. Sounds like a nice truck but that seems high. And If those are the original tires, your going to need a new set. Good luck and keep updating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
since I'm based in Canada, I used the Canadian Black book to get the value of the truck and stated that the average trade-in is $20,550 Can (18,000 US) and average retail 23,525 (20,500 US).

And KBB.com is quoting $16000 US.

Well, thanks for the update dana_15 and I'll keep updating on how this goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick little update, offered him a few grand under his asking and he didn't even give me a counter-offer.

Ah well, on to the next.

Found a decent 02 Xtracab TRD with 59,000 miles on it. Is asking roughly 2,000 over the Canadian Black Book retail value. The seller seemed pretty firm on on his asking price but we'll see.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
A first post for me too.

I am going from an '02 Subaru WRX to an '04 DoubleCab Taco TRD tomorrow (10k for @ $21k). My WRX was absolutely awesome in the snow. I was really surprised at how deep I could take it. I am only talking fireroad adventures though. If your not doing any heavy-duty offroading, a Subie will work too and are quite capable vehicles.

I have owned a couple Toys in the past ('89 XtraCab w/164k and a '91 4Runner w/245k) and the quality is next to none on them. The Subarus are very good too but I would still put the Toys ahead. My '89 was pretty much a woods/mud Toy and it took a lot of abuse from me. More than it should have!! When I sold it it had the loose wrist pin but still ran extremely strong. The guy I sold it to was a fellow Toy owner and had no problems taking it(for $500 less than I paid for it 3 years before!!!) The 4Runner ran like new when I sold it too. Both were 22RE 5 speeds.

I am switching back to a pickup for utilitarian purposes. I need the truck to haul stuff for the house plus the fiance' has an Escape to use also. I debated on a 2x4 2xCab but I am lucky to find a 4x4 in MI. The Subie always has the better passenger room if you can deal with the looks of the Baja/baby Avalanche.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
First time poster to this forum - thanks for all the info. I'm considering a Tacoma in the near future. I've been "Toyota-less" for about 5 months, and the stress is really gettin to me :lol:

I had two 4Runners, but gave up my last one so that I could get my wife a "kid hauler", and I got her old Sub Outback. Nice car, but I can't haul my dirt bike with it....

Anyway, for those of you who say DoubleCab over XtraCab, what's the main reason(s)? Is it so that you have the option of carrying two extra adults if needed? My initial thought was to go for the XtraCab, since my wife has a "family truckster" for road trips, family, etc., so the Taco would just be mine for fun, driving to work, etc.

I would probably have to shuttle the kids in it on occasion - is the XtraCab back "seat" adequate for two small kids? Can you put a car seat back there?

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
screbr said:
Anyway, for those of you who say DoubleCab over XtraCab, what's the main reason(s)? Is it so that you have the option of carrying two extra adults if needed?

I would probably have to shuttle the kids in it on occasion - is the XtraCab back "seat" adequate for two small kids? Can you put a car seat back there?
Thats what stinks about the XtraCab you really dont have an option to carry adults. But on the other hand thats good sometimes. My truck sits nice and clean at home in the garage when we go on trips and if I'm out with my friends I always offer to drive but no one wants to sit in the back so I never drive, thus saving me money and no dirt in the back. Sounds like an XtraCab would be good for you and they a litle bit cheaper, and better lookingin my book. The back seats are perfect for kids and you can put a car seat in the back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts