Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I have an '89 corolla coupe that I swapped a 7AFE into.. But, it's just not enough for me.

I'm looking at getting a different car now and have been considering an MR2.. with a 3SGTE.. buuttt I'm not to sure about that anymore, they are a tad bit expensive not to mention the insurance would be a good dollar more I'm sure.

Lately I've been eyeing up Celica's and have been interested in getting one.

Just interested in hearing Celica owners opinions on the car.. handling.. performance.. reliability (i know it's a toyota) but every car has it's little quirks and issues.

I would definitly be getting a manual tranny as well. I'm not sure on what year Celica to look at either, I don't want the 7AFE/4A celica's either.. I'd prefer the 3/5S models as I am planning on 3SGTE swap or something along those lines.

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have a 2000 GTS and i love it but it kinda depends on what you want....my neighbor has a MR2 but its had a swap (idk what they swapped) but its turbo and QUICK!! Celicas are sporty and can be made fast but in my opinion are more luxurious than the MR2 it all depends on what you want and what your lookin for.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at a Celical for sale today in my town.. and we took a drive.. it was pretty nice. Although a 5SFE... However it doesn't even matter cuz I will be doing a JDM 3SGTE swap and I've been thinking about converting to the JDM All Trac tranny and doing the rear end swap..

So tell me guys, how does the All Trac work.. is it like a locked RWD and then FWD electronically optional or what?

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably early 90's.. Well I do plan on dropping a JDM 3SGTE in it.. and I MAY do the All Trac conversion...

I looked at a '93 tonite.. I did like it.

What brake upgrades are available for a celica.. any other larger brakes fit on.. would the JDM calipers be larger or something? With that much more power under the hood I'd need some big balls to stop me.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Read the sticky on top of this forum for AWD conversion info.
Basically its buy an AllTrac and don't do conversion. Read the post for all the reasons.
Get a GTS to do 3S-GTE swap. You get 4 wheel disc brake with it.

·
^
4,197 Posts
I agree with Fred.

For bigger brakes, the JDM Alltrac front calipers are the same. If you don't mind making a bracket. I think V6 Camry calipers are bigger.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I don't mind making a bracket.

I won't be buying an All Trac as they are pretty rare it seems and pretty expensive. I think I can get this local guy down to 1100ish.. He said 1300 already but it needs new tires and stuff.. I am going to have him bring it here and I am gonna do a real thorough inspection on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This girl that i grew up with has a early 90's stock celica...i think its a GT but its real reliable and never had any trouble out of it....but if your gonna do a swap more power too ya...let me know how things turn out...

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will DEFINITLY be doing a swap that is for sure. THe car already has 4 wheel disc brakes.. I assume it's a GT then right? It has a 5SFE.. Atleast he says it's a 2.2L... but I didn't really LOOK to check the engine.

What year/car did the 3rd gen 3SGTE's come in?

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Punisher said:
I will DEFINITLY be doing a swap that is for sure. THe car already has 4 wheel disc brakes.. I assume it's a GT then right? It has a 5SFE.. Atleast he says it's a 2.2L... but I didn't really LOOK to check the engine.

What year/car did the 3rd gen 3SGTE's come in?
3rd gen 3SGTEs came in the ST205 (94-99) Celica GT4...

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Punisher said:
and from what I understand GT4 is the JDM all-trac celica, right?
yeah...

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrighty, you gentlemen have been of great help.

If I get this job I'm hoping for I might just spring for the All-Trac and do the 3rd gen 3SGTE swap into that..

I know it's pretty much personal choice, but what do you guys think is better in terms to reliability and performance.. all-trac or the FWD celica?

There is no electronics behind the all-trac.. basically all wheels get the same power all the time? Or is it like an intelligent AWD?

I know for handling the all-trac would be the best bet and I'm guessing for straight out speed the FWD would be the best.. I'm so tempted with the all-trac, but I have to know that it is reliable and will take a beating. It's a toyota and I'm quite sure it is built with quality but ya never know what bad apple might be in the bunch. That plus an all-trac is so much more expensive :(.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I forgot, what is the diff between the USDM and JDM 3sgte's? Is the JDM version MAP sensored and DLI or what? I know the JDM version wouldn't have any emissions crap on the engine..

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, more questions I might as well get out of the way now...

How can I tell the difference in the 3SGTE generations? What tranny should I use (if I go with FWD) and what parts will I need.. I'd like to make the swap as easy as possible so... is there a USDM ECU that can handle the motor? I assume I would have to use a JDM engine harness.. It appears that the exhaust is different so I need atleast the header on the JDM engine..

Anything else?

·
Registered
1990 celica All-Trac
161 Posts
between the usd and jdm versions, there are horsepower differences. jdm ones come with a bit more, and a different turbo. if you do get an all trac, don't swap a st205 in, just pull your 185 out and build it up. between these engines, the newer models are only just built up a little bit more, you can easily attain the same power for less the cost of the swap... unless that car you're looking at is an ST, then its the 5sfe, for sure. ive driven both gt's and gt4's and all i can say is there is a huge handling difference. since it seems like your set on this engine, i suggest getting an all trac, as they're complicated as is, a swap would only make things more difficult. (not much, but there is the occasional thing, plus fwd will spin your wheels like a banshee) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Only GTS and AllTrac/GT4 got 4 wheel disc.
ST got the A series engine (4A, 7A) so S series (3S, 5S) won't drop in.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts