Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how are the 86 celica's compared to the other gen's not much of a celica fan, more of a camry man. but i got a deal for $350 on a 86 celica, well i haven't seen it myself but its a friend from school. 149k miles and well seeing as how its an 86 i'm expecting rust and what not. dents and dings. what would a typical celica of that year and mile run me. whats the engine code on this car? i really have no idea whats really in the car. but i'll consider buying it because of the price.

i'll admit i didn't do a search because i'm on short time at the moment. i'll be checking up on the post sunday night. therefore any typical inforamtion would be great thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well the one thing I can say about the 86 is that it was my least favorite of all of my Toyotas. Although the car was nice enough when it was running good, it is the only Toyota I have ever owned that needed to have the engine rebuilt, and this was at 91000 miles. I had the GTS version.

I think that part of the issue is that this was a new first time version of the car since this was the first front wheel drive model and it switched from the bulletproof 22r to the 3sge I think it was. At least for the celica this was the first year for that, and sometimes first years aren't the best since they need to get the bugs worked out. This is also the only toyota that ever left me stranded somewhere...unfortunately it was 375 miles from home.

That being said, the price you quoted doesn't sound bad. Around the Portland, OR area I can see them frequently for around 600-800 bucks, so your price seems pretty good.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I paid 500 for mine. 86 GT with 181,000 miles and a newly remanufactured engine/tranny about 2000 miles ago. I don't really care for the head lights, reminds me too much of a late 80's honda accord/prelude. The stupid electronic heater controls blow chunks. the heater in my car works when it wants to, not when I need it too like in the morning when its 38 degrees F out side and I need defrost :confused: :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts