Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While admittedly I'm NOT attracted to the grills of many of the new cars, including things like the Avalon, Lexus, Audi, etc. I'm really starting to like the idea of the hybrid and the great mpg. I'm looking for a car with nice smooth ride for touring and hope to reasonably stay in or close to the luxury class. I was wondering if any owners here have thoughts on the CVT. Not sure I'm completely comfortable with the idea of how it works compared to traditional gearing. The car gets great reviews right across the board, and so looking forward to seeing and driving one. Any advice appreciated - whether about the CVT or whatever else.

·
7,036 Posts
It does not have CVT.
yes, I know what paper says.
IT DOES NOT HAVE CVT.
Why switch? I sold both of my hybrids and commute in 98 MGM. Great car. Yours should be even better, it's hosh posh Buick. I really wanted LeSabre, does 32mpg FWY. And is super comfy and reliable.
Are you sure?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More like...are YOU sure? Toyota's website indicates ECVT for the trans on the the hybrid XLE. Regular XLE is a standard trans.

As to your question....you must be reading my mind. Believe me when I say I've been wrestling with this 'to get rid of or not' with regards to the Buick over the past few years. I've had it since new and it has been, shall we say, an interesting journey. My folder of repair invoices is roughly the thickness of an encyclopedia. Suffice it to say I basically bought a new car one part at a time - it's on its 3rd engine and 2nd transmission, and just about every other part replaced as well over the past 24 years. Truly a love/hate relationship at times. I always tell people I helped to put my garage mechanic's kid through college with that Buick. Spent tons on it.

Thing that bothers me the most is that I'm not finding ANYthing out there, exterior-wise, that I like as much. So many newer sedans all pretty much look alike, and now we have the singularly unattractive grills (IMHO). Have always loved the lines on the Riviera. Plus, I have this thing about not wanting to get rid of "vintage" items...long story. Our other car is a '97 Grand Cherokee (one of those nearly bullet-proof engines in that one, but sadly, it too is getting to the end of its days - rusting through under the rocker panels and is not exactly easy on the butt going over bumps, etc.)

So...yeah...it's a hard thing to consider letting it go but I just feel I really should move into the 21st century with some of the new features - especially CarPlay for when we travel - seems a bit out of date and often inconvenient for my wife to do all the navigating by holding an iPhone rather than being able to see it all on a screen. I guess it's a foregone conclusion that, at nearly 64 yrs. old, any new car might well wind up being my last one??!?!?

Interesting that you mention LeSabre. The engine that's in my Riviera now is from a '99 LeSabre. It had 90k miles on it when it went in my car back in '13 Came with a 5-year warranty so I figured might as well keep it during that time. Still here. A bit over 165k on the odometer (wasn't rolled back when the two replacement engines went in). NO rust anywhere on it and except for some areas that are wearing or showing scratch marks or a few dings, the paint almost looks new yet. Leather on the seats looks like new as well. Ride is still nice and smooth. So...indeed a tough decision. Suspect I'll never have a car that I like the looks of as much. OK..so NOW that I halfway talked myself OUT of buying a new car....LOL

I have a sneaking suspicion, though may be wrong - that once I'd have the new car - I'd probably not miss the Riviera as much as I might think? Felt the same way when I decided to finally get a new garden tractor instead of my old '72 Cub Cadet (they don't make 'em like that anymore with those old K-301 motors!). Even longer story...just put a new engine in the Cub this past summer - and so still have it. I think you get the general idea by now...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ukrkoz...curious, if you don't mind my asking...why'd you sell your hybrids and go back to an older car? How would you compare the ride between them and the MGM?

·
7,036 Posts
Well, it's hard to explain, really.
I ran my Camry up to 127 000 miles and she did stellar. With only one aspect - excessive oil consumption, but that was fixed under recall.
Was very good car. Yet, I could never really rid of that Damocles sword feeling that, if something hybrid breaks, it's lots of money to repair, and I do not like paying lots of money for repairs. Got tired of her some too. Plus, was going to buy a property tractor.
So it's combination of various factors, really.
Now, my Highlander, that one was different story.
For one, I had 2 accidents with it and I am VERY superstitions. That car started haunting me as accident magnet.
Bigger issue though was very annoying back-for jerk rolling at low speeds. between 25 and 40 mph, and that's exactly when you get best mpg. After about a year of that jerk just killing me, and second accident, I pulled the plug.
Was very nice car indeed.
Sometimes, I regret I did this. but, not too much. I was babying them all the time. I commute in 98 Grand Marquis and I do not give rat's tail about bad roads, potholes etc. Car appears not to care about them either. It's completely different feeling, more "tanky" than is tin canny Japanese. See, thing is, I like my cars a lot. So when they hurt, I hurt. MGM apparently does not give, so it makes me feel much better. If it makes any sense. Call me weird, I'll agree. Besides, it's a $1500 car.. I have prime ride in form of 2019 RAM. That one does not give either but, sits in garage as I am saving mileage on it for warranty purposes. I did 8 000 miles on MGM in not even 4 months ownership, that's miles saved on the truck.
So here I am. But I shall recommend hybrids to anyone, who is not as weird as I am.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird is as weird does perhaps...so I undoubtedly qualify, especially being somewhat stuck in a time warp owning things like - Panasonic CRT tv (still works great after...what 20 years? Probably more?), '76 Kenwood stereo receiver and Pioneer turntable, loads of VHS and cassette tapes, '72 Cub Cadet tractor on its second engine, (you already know about the riviera), '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, free digital TV coming through an antenna rather than cable...you get the general idea....SOOOO..since you say you do suggest the hybrid, I'm back to the original question.. sell the Riviera and get a new Avalon?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I owned a 95 Rivera with the supercharger. My problem was the damned thing put me to sleep, floating down the road like sitting on the perfect couch and watching the world go by. I'm serious it scared me to just doze off while driving, had to roll the windows down to keep my ass awake. My parents loved that thing and I still think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Would push 30 MG at 70 MPH.

Now I drive a $1600 Echo in the summer and a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage in the winter, 6 months each, keeps the miles down on the Mirage which has a 10/100 powertrain warranty. Bought the Mirage new, paid cash, never carried collision insurance. That old Riv had real glass headlamp lenses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL...seriously...your first couple sentences just cracked me up. The Buick is indeed a pretty cushy ride - that's what we really liked about it for road trips. Our was the non-supercharged model. Also, while it's undoubtedly a conceit of mine (and likely many who've owned one), I have to agree that it is - exterior design-wise - one of the nicest looking cars to ever roll off the line. IF I buy a new Avalon, or Lexus, or Audi, I'm going to have to NOT look at the front grille every time I get out of the car. I know I'll miss the Buick...been through a lot together - you should see my folder of invoices. Can't say the thing was very kind to my checkbook.....

·
7,036 Posts
I'm going to have to NOT look at the front grille every time I get out of the car.
The Buick is indeed a pretty cushy ride -
one of the nicest looking cars to ever roll off the line.

I think, you got an itch. To rid of it.
If you have that famous 3.0L Chevy engine, I'll buy your Riviera. I might be weird, but MGM feels much better than any of them new cars. So should your Buick.

·
7,036 Posts
I owned a 95 Rivera with the supercharger. My problem was the damned thing put me to sleep, floating down the road like sitting on the perfect couch and watching the world go by. I'm serious it scared me to just doze off while driving, had to roll the windows down to keep my ass awake. My parents loved that thing and I still think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Would push 30 MG at 70 MPH.
Cushy ride... yummmm......

·
Registered
48 Posts
While admittedly I'm NOT attracted to the grills of many of the new cars, including things like the Avalon, Lexus, Audi, etc. I'm really starting to like the idea of the hybrid and the great mpg. I'm looking for a car with nice smooth ride for touring and hope to reasonably stay in or close to the luxury class. I was wondering if any owners here have thoughts on the CVT. Not sure I'm completely comfortable with the idea of how it works compared to traditional gearing. The car gets great reviews right across the board, and so looking forward to seeing and driving one. Any advice appreciated - whether about the CVT or whatever else.
less technical:
more technical:

Converting energy from generator to battery and back to electric motor, may not seem efficient... but it is better than converting same energy to brake pads/rotor as waste heat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thing that bothers me the most is that I'm not finding ANYthing out there, exterior-wise, that I like as much. So many newer sedans all pretty much look alike, and now we have the singularly unattractive grills (IMHO). Have always loved the lines on the Riviera. Plus, I have this thing about not wanting to get rid of "vintage" items...long story. Our other car is a '97 Grand Cherokee (one of those nearly bullet-proof engines in that one, but sadly, it too is getting to the end of its days - rusting through under the rocker panels and is not exactly easy on the butt going over bumps, etc.)

So...yeah...it's a hard thing to consider letting it go but I just feel I really should move into the 21st century with some of the new features - especially CarPlay for when we travel - seems a bit out of date and often inconvenient for my wife to do all the navigating by holding an iPhone rather than being able to see it all on a screen. I guess it's a foregone conclusion that, at nearly 64 yrs. old, any new car might well wind up being my last one??!?!?
Don't think I'm "stalking" you 'cause I replied to quite a few of your posts....it is just like I'm looking in the mirror.....

I'm gonna be 60 soon and just got rid of a perfectly good 2003 Cavalier with 102K miles w/ great paint, for a car that may be my last? Cavalier was "practically a gift from above" @ 80K, but after 9 years & 20K miles I was seeing it as car for a 16 year old. I had intended to wait and get a car this Winter/Spring, but the "right" car came along in September...so I got it. Long story short....I am so glad that I got it, wife love's it also. If it doesn't pinch the pocket too bad, get it, enjoy it, maybe you'll be driving when you are 90....maybe not. The "window of opportunity" does not stay open forever.

Maybe buy two used vehicles instead of one new one (not @ same time) like trading the idea of a $1000 dog for 2 $500 cats....

·
Registered
301 Posts
The two best riding cars I have owned were a 97 Buick Lesabre Limited Touring with rear air suspension and a 99 Crown Vic with the Handling and Performance Package and rear air suspension. Rear air suspension is what set these cars apart from the rest in the ride department. Otherwise, both of these cars had their share of problems and a lot unscheduled repairs, and neither were as reliable as my 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited.

To the OP's original question about the reliability of the Avalon Hybrid CVT transmission. I have never seen on this or any other forum a report of a Toyota CVT failure.

For ukrkoz and anyone else nostalgic for the Crown Vic and its siblings, check out the Crownvic.net forum below.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Toyota hybrids don't use a traditional CVT. They should call it a single planetary with variable motor engagement in place of a planetary clutch.

Test drive it. If you like it, then do what you want. The Camry/Avalon/Highlander/RAV4 hybrids are excellent vehicles.
I will avoid hybrids as long as possible since out-of-warranty repair can be super expensive. I keep vehicles a long long time. Might consider it with a platinum extended warranty. Wife likes the idea of the RAV4 usability and hybrid MPG.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
$1000 dog for two $500 cats, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told that same joke in the 6th grade as an Endman in a minstrel show done by my elementary school, IN BLACKFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The year JFK was elected. He died on my 13th birthday 11/22/63 assassinated in Dallas. I guess I was a much greater monster than I realized. I just thought it was so cool to be an entertainer. Looked like Buckwheat in the Little Rascals.

Now 59 years later people try to make it something it never was, at least in my case. I was never taught to hate anyone. Pop even respected the German pilots who tried to kill him in WW2, trying to protect their home country.

It takes politics to make simple things ugly

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it is a Riviera that is needed....here is the finest one available:

·
Semper73
2019 Avalon Hybrid L
22 Posts
Weird is as weird does perhaps...so I undoubtedly qualify, especially being somewhat stuck in a time warp owning things like - Panasonic CRT tv (still works great after...what 20 years? Probably more?), '76 Kenwood stereo receiver and Pioneer turntable, loads of VHS and cassette tapes, '72 Cub Cadet tractor on its second engine, (you already know about the riviera), '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, free digital TV coming through an antenna rather than cable...you get the general idea....SOOOO..since you say you do suggest the hybrid, I'm back to the original question.. sell the Riviera and get a new Avalon?
I sold my 1984 Avanti Touring Coupe because three experts couldn’t figure out why the moonroof leaked. We took it completely off twice and it checked out fine. Installed it and it leaked. Even JB Weld couldn’t keep the water out. I have regretted that sale to this day. But I REALLY love my TAH Touring. Will never replace that sound of the Avanti nor the turning heads but it definitely doesn’t leak! LOL
Keep the Riveria and buy the Avalon. Best of both worlds.

·
7,036 Posts
For ukrkoz and anyone else nostalgic for the Crown Vic and its siblings, check out the Crownvic.net forum below.

It's not that I am nostalgic. It's that those cars are on the list of 15 cars that refuse to die and none of the hybrids are. And at 187 000 miles on my whale MGM, she literally drives better than 2 hybrids I had before. As in - she does not care what road she drives on. Sits six and I can put 4 dead bodies into the trunk. With all up to date upgrades and minor repairs, entire cost is $2500 and I feel safe and comfortable in it.
That's why I do feel the poster above, who did wise suggestion - keep the Riviera and if you MUST, buy something new. But keep the Riviera. Personally, spare beater saved us way too many times.

·
TableRocked
183 Posts
The safety tech alone is a huge selling point for the 2019/20 Avalon Limited with the advanced safety package - you will never want to go back to a vehicle without birds eye view cameras and don't forget the amazing adaptive cruise and auto braking - its awesome! I can drive 60 miles to the airport without having to touch my brake or gas.... talk about relaxing.... stereo is awesome, MPG is amazing.... double pane acoustic glass is fantastic.... seat heaters and coolers, a godsend after a long plane ride.... fit and finish with real Yamaha selected wood trim looks amazing.... and the LED headlights on the limited trim, wow! I'm not easily satisfied or amazed but this vehicle, new, out the door, with all of the OEM accessories for under $37k, brand spanking new, bargain..... 45mpg too? Having owned 25 vehicles, all purchased new, this one is my favorite by far.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts