Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing around the idea of having my truck re-painted..maybe a slightly darker red, like a burgundy metallic or so.

Anyone had their taco re-painted?

I'm seeing so many new tacos on the road, I'd like something more unique.

I haven't worked on cars much since I was a teenager, so I'm not even sure how much it would cost now. I expect it would be pretty spendy.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
For a nice paint job here would cost me about $1200. A Shitty one could be around $700. And I know what you mean by seeing a lot of Tacomas. Here, I see mostly minis (the pool guys). And I've only seen 2 lifted with off road accessories. All others are just stock.

·
Registered
529 Posts
$1200 seems a bit low to me, for a good paint job anyway. I see no problem with re-spraying your truck. Just make sure you find a real good shop to do it. I'd expect to pay more like 2 or 3 grand for a good paint job. Door jams and under the hood included.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
LanNinja said:
I agree with the other guys about not re-painting. Why don't you get a color matched grill and/or hood with scoop? That would be unique.
Wouldn't be that unique, but very similar still. How about body graphics? Wheels? Bed covers? There's a variety.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I sure am thinking a pearlesant white like we see on newer Cady's would just be so 'right' on our Toy. The brownish/pinkish hues seen in this paint from different angles works well in this dusty AZ sunlight. IMO.

BUT...

I'm not sure on this, but I think all paint shops can spray nowadays out here is water based color which has to be baked on (like @ the factory) to cure and harden right. Would think that there is a lot of shops out there that would not have the heating equipment to cure this paint properly, as it is Very $$$.

Anyone know if Dupont still sells IMRON? Back in my day, this was the sh....t to spray with. Hard as a rock and durable, but not to enviroment friendly.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma D/C
309 Posts
That stuff was cool, when I was a kid my Dads friend painted Harleys. I got him to spray my bicycle . It was awesome, it was the same color you described as a matter of fact. (pearl white)

·
threads will be hi-jacked
811 Posts
theres some one around my area with the dukes of hazzard paint job on his truck and has the horn and all it scares the sh*t out of people, its funny every time i see it but i wouldnt do it as a burnt orange. i was thinking about repainting but to get it as good or better than factory would cost $2000 to $5000. i was thinking more of a forest green color i wish they offered that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well I think I know a little about having an unique tacoma. I think the impulse red trucks look cheap from the factory because of all the black parts on the truck. Just painting your parts would make your truck different and look a lot better. Here is how the color matched grill looks in impulse red. Paint the mirrors and handles too.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
337 Posts
i say dont do it unless your sure about it
working at my dads body shop i know how much more work it is to change the color for any vehicle. first all the truck has to be stripped down so no handles, moldings, etc..... then the engine bay, door jambs, all the other parts you dont see painted have to be painted something like that my dad charges anywhere from $5000 to $10000 depending on how custom the customer wants it (like flames, graphics all that good stuff)
whatever you do get it done right, such a nice truck its not worth it getting a cheap paint job so in six months it starts fading or chipping

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LanNinja said:
I agree with the other guys about not re-painting. Why don't you get a color matched grill and/or hood with scoop? That would be unique.
I'm not a big fan of the color matched grill or hood scoop. I have my Lund screen grill now that I really like.

What I'll probably end up doing, at least for the time being, is getting some new bulbs and a set of those charcoal FJ wheels, and then call it good. That is, until I start seeing that every other Taco has 'em mounted.. :)

I know its a lot of work to prep, I used to prep my trucks/volkswagens for paint when I was younger..so I'd expect it to cost me a ton (not having the time to do it myself).

·
knucklehead
113 Posts
The cool thing about having it repainted another color is that after you spend 6-8 thousand $$$ on it, it will be worth a lot less than it was before.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
PDXJoe said:
I'm not a big fan of the color matched grill or hood scoop. I have my Lund screen grill now that I really like.

What I'll probably end up doing, at least for the time being, is getting some new bulbs and a set of those charcoal FJ wheels, and then call it good. That is, until I start seeing that every other Taco has 'em mounted.. :)

I know its a lot of work to prep, I used to prep my trucks/volkswagens for paint when I was younger..so I'd expect it to cost me a ton (not having the time to do it myself).
Joe, post a pic of your truck and I'll see about editing some wheels for you. Should look good though.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DCab TRD
74 Posts
I know it has been said previously, but it needs to be reiterated for anyone else considering ... a good paint job is very expensive!! Way more than $2k, especially if it is a color change. The amount of prep work, spray time, clear coat, cure time, etc. If you go cheap then you get unique original features such as orange peel, drip, peeling, cracking, etc. Not worth it! I would get some graphics painted, decals, etc. and some wheels, rock sliders, bull bars, neon, whatever floats your boat. Of course, if you just wanted to be different you could throw beer bottles from your truck ... hmm, naw that wouldn't be different here in Alabama ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts