Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Camry hybrid se for 2weeks now the weather has been cold in the morning about 37 degrees. I drive. 50 miles on way with many hills and flats . I’ve average about 47 mpg driving to work and 52mpg driving home . This is only 2 mpg off from my 2014 Prius so needless to say I am very happy. Now I will download fuely and track the real impact of mpg just to learn how to drive better. FYI I am driving from antioch to sanfrancisco.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats incredible! Thanks for the insight and average temps, I'm in -22F / -30C temps and last reported tank got 34mpg. It is that due to length of warm up time though it needs a good 15-20m to get warm and thusly burns a lot of gas before getting on the road.

Looking forward to spring to return back to 50+ mpg territory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Engine Block Heater

Thats incredible! Thanks for the insight and average temps, I'm in -22F / -30C temps and last reported tank got 34mpg. It is that due to length of warm up time though it needs a good 15-20m to get warm and thusly burns a lot of gas before getting on the road.

Looking forward to spring to return back to 50+ mpg territory.

With those temps and your location have you considered a block heater? They are not expensive so I think it would pay for itself pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also getting shit MPG due to the cold weather here in AB, 34 MPG as well, with more than half being highway kms. Look forward to actually getting anything close to advertised.

Paid for a block heater when I purchased the car, hopefully it will be available for next winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you state 34mpg, is that per us gal or imperial gallon? .

I am in Quebec and we also have had nasty cold weather.
My worst tanks were 40m/imp gal and 38.3m/imp gal = 33.3per us gal and 31.89 per us gal.
Just got the car in Nov and my overall average is now running 46 m/imp gal (38.3 to the us gal).
Weather has been lousy (-2C, -7C and -12C) for nov, dec, jan. Based on these average temperatures, I expect to see really great mileage when spring rolls around.
I just love that car (2019 SE Hybrid)- the only thing that its is missing is Lane Keeping Assist and road sign reader. But I guess that is how Toyota gets us to change cars more frequently than necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was referring to US gal, and adding a mostly highway driven fill my new current average fuel consumption is 6.752 L/100 km. I have little hope that I will ever see the advertised fuel economy even in the summer.

Jan has been mild, and Feb freezing here in AB. I also got the 2019 SE Hybrid and the lack of the LKA pushed me to lease vs. buy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also referring to US mpg figures and in AB, when I bought the car over wintertime 2017 I'd been constantly harboring thoughts of buyers remorse until things warmed up.

Been using fuelly to track maintenance and fill ups regularly. Thought Montreal was usually colder than things in AB but I see its -11C there and -25C here this morning.

Glad I'm not the only one waiting for a block heater to come out, even called Toyota Canada to check and no ETA was forthcoming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also referring to US mpg figures and in AB, when I bought the car over wintertime 2017 I'd been constantly harboring thoughts of buyers remorse until things warmed up.

Been using fuelly to track maintenance and fill ups regularly. Thought Montreal was usually colder than things in AB but I see its -11C there and -25C here this morning.

Glad I'm not the only one waiting for a block heater to come out, even called Toyota Canada to check and no ETA was forthcoming.
The new Rav4 uses the same engine as the Camry and apparently they are getting a block heater end of Q1? I'd expect a similar timeline for the Camry.

Lastest fill up brings my average to 6.92 L/100 kms

·
'18 Camry Hybrid LE w/BD, CP, SR, UP
2 Posts
MPG After Year

1st drove my car end of October '17 in Cincinnati, Ohio. My MPG was disappointing getting mid 30's to low 40's. I was told by other new car buyers not to expect the rated MPG for about a year. But once the weather was 70+ degrees F. and it had it's first true oil change in May 2018 with 10,400 miles, the MPG went to 52 and beyond depending upon the terrain and how I drove it. Also remember during winter the fuel blend is different and does not offer the same energy output as summer fuel. And some people may have the right idea about a block heater or oil pan heater. I'm told there is a break-in oil shipped with new cars so that also may have impeded a decent MPG.

I tested city driving sticking to all flat terrain and did a circuit route around the city managing 60-mpg. Highway driving here includes a lot of hills and I have not done a circuit route on it yet. Which means my normal driving is a city/hwy combination in which I get between 49-54. Traffic (in or out of rush-hour times) can vary as does speed. I find the best speed on the highway is 78 mph to give me the best fuel economy. Even in my 14 year old Toyota Echo 2 door, a higher highway speed was more advantageous to MPG. Running 78 - 80 mph seems to be a sweet spot for some reason. But of course your chances of getting ticketed goes up too and isn't worth the ticket price and possible insurance cost increase.

I'm just now coming out of our winter and a couple days of low 70 degrees F. I'm seeing MPG go up once again. Don't know if they've switched off of the winter fuel blend or not yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well now that the weather has improved, my last tank was 4.95 L/100 kms or about 47.5 MPG. Not bad at all for majority city driving. Got to 1010.8 km, but my tank was very very empty - filled 50.045 L

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purposely bought a 2019 Camry LE hybrid because it came with a Lithium Ion battery as apposed to the SE and XLE hybrids have the old Nickel battery. I get 52mpg from day one and over 600 miles a tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re:mpg

I am almost at the 10,000 mile oil change and my average mile per gallon dropped to 45 mpg . The weather is great so I will post my mpg after the first oil change , I have the 2019 hybrid SE Camry .I love this car!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
wow kinda making me think i should have opted for the hybrid, i went with the XSE V6, the MPG isnt horrible around 25-26, but nothing near the 40s, thats awesome!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MPG after first oil change

Well I had my first oil change and the weather is 90 degrees + I saw my mileage jump up to 47.2 average on hills and freeway combined I will post my weekly mpg next Saturday 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

·
6,226 Posts
MPG after first oil change
Well I had my first oil change and the weather is 90 degrees + I saw my mileage jump up to 47.2 average on hills and freeway combined I will post my weekly mpg next Saturday 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Posted by Mekoman

·
6,226 Posts
On my 07 TCH, I counted SEVEN way sto check on mpg.
So you need to be real particular about which mpg you are looking at.

Rolling mpg can vary widely from poor to stellar.

It's the long term average one that I only look at.

The rest is fluctuation like bull peeing when he walks. All over everywhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts