Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Low mpg camry hybrid se

I've had my Camry for a yr now and I have yet to get 40mpg. The highest I've gotten is 39mpg and it continues to lower. I live in southern california where the weather can get as hot as 115 and as low as 30. This last tank I got 25mpg. That is absolutely HORRIBLE. There are other issues as well but I feel we totally wasted our money.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
On my 07 TCH, I counted SEVEN way sto check on mpg.
So you need to be real particular about which mpg you are looking at.

Rolling mpg can vary widely from poor to stellar.

It's the long term average one that I only look at.

The rest is fluctuation like bull peeing when he walks. All over everywhere.
That's the nice thing about Fuelly.
It gives you not only tank-to-tank MPG, but also an overall average, and last 10 tanks (what's in my sig banner), as well as last month, last 3, and last 12.
Also tracks quantity and cost... I've spent $8k on gas since I got my '16 Corolla 41 months ago.... a little under a dime a mile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
its the overall I'm looking at. I fill the tank, take the mileage and divide by the the gallons that went into the car. I don't much pay attention to the computer mileage due to it being wrong most of the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my Camry for a yr now and I have yet to get 40mpg. The highest I've gotten is 39mpg and it continues to lower. I live in southern california where the weather can get as hot as 115 and as low as 30. This last tank I got 25mpg. That is absolutely HORRIBLE. There are other issues as well but I feel we totally wasted our money.

Fuel consumption isn't just about the tech, but also about where and how you drive.

My commute is short ~5mi so the cold start just eats away at my mileage I hover around 40mpg. If I go visiting friends across town I get 55-65 mpg. so the car is capable of these consumption numbers. Big but coming... If my wife is driving, take 10+mpg off my numbers! And she says she does try to drive economically.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What I do to drive economically

Here is my list of things I try and do to improve my fuel consumption. Not everything is possible at all times, so common sense must be used.

- easy starts, just light on the gas and slowly get up to speed. Don't keep the foot down until at full speed, but slowly ease up on the throttle as you accelerate.
- coast to lights and stop signs. I see so many people stay on the gas to the last second and then jam on the brakes.

- On frequent routes, learn the timing of lights to minimize slowdown/speed up scenarios. If I can coast a little earlier but then just catch a green light without stopping then it saves gas.
- In my commute, I just pick a lane and stay there. I see people slaloming through lanes to get ahead, but at the end of a commute how much time have they really saved? Maybe a light, or about 2 min if anything at all?

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
its the overall I'm looking at. I fill the tank, take the mileage and divide by the the gallons that went into the car. I don't much pay attention to the computer mileage due to it being wrong most of the time.
Agreed on the computer mileage. Mine can be off as much as 2mpg.
But even tank to tank there can be some big variations. My current tank, I know is going to be low. It's been hot, and wife and I did a lot of shopping last weekend, so there was a lot of parking lot cruising, and when we'd get to the car to load the purchased items, I'd hop in and start it up to get the AC moving. I suspect this tank is going to be about 2mpg below my average.
Then of course, road trips can result in a single tank that's 10mpg higher than normal, but then the next leg is a long grade into a headwind.
So the 10-tank, and 3-12 month rolling averages really are a more accurate indication of what your vehicle and driving habits are actually doing to fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
My commute is short ~5mi so the cold start just eats away at my mileage I hover around 40mpg. If I go visiting friends across town I get 55-65 mpg. so the car is capable of these consumption numbers. Big but coming... If my wife is driving, take 10+mpg off my numbers! And she says she does try to drive economically.
A guy I work with saw this on his Prius.
They bought "twins"... wife was getting 10mpg worse than he was.
He's a mechanic, so before complaining to the dealer, they swapped cars for 2 months.
His mileage didn't change, and she was still down 10.

My wife complains about the 22mpg in her Rav4, but she also seems to feel that the shortest distance between two points is to zig-zag at every intersection, thinking she's spending less time waiting at red lights, but all she's doing is ensuring she will never get a green because every time she turns she's taking herself out of the coordination platoon. Then she complains about her tires and brakes not lasting :facepalm:

·
Registered
68 Posts
A guy I work with saw this on his Prius.
They bought "twins"... wife was getting 10mpg worse than he was.
He's a mechanic, so before complaining to the dealer, they swapped cars for 2 months.
His mileage didn't change, and she was still down 10.

My wife complains about the 22mpg in her Rav4, but she also seems to feel that the shortest distance between two points is to zig-zag at every intersection, thinking she's spending less time waiting at red lights, but all she's doing is ensuring she will never get a green because every time she turns she's taking herself out of the coordination platoon. Then she complains about her tires and brakes not lasting 🤦
Just filled up after first tank of gas since purchase. Only took 12.01 gallons. MPGs on the display are very accurate. :) 95% city in normal mode only 50 odd miles on freeway.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am almost at the year mark with my 2019 LE. When I first bought it last October I was getting consistent 50-51 mpg. It dropped down to 40mpg in the cold Chicago winter. This summer it is getting 43.4. I am going by the mpg on the computer. I was hoping since it was summer that the mileage would go back to near 50mpg.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts