Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I see you also have an 08 hhl...have you tried the larger size? If so, any issues?
My car only has 11,500 miles but the Toyos will be shot by 18-20,000 and then I'll move to 255/55 x 19. There are many others in the 2008+ Highlander forum that have made the move to this size already and are very happy.

·
Registered
08 Highlander Hybrid
110 Posts
New snow tires and wheels with no TPMS

I know there was discussion on this before, not sure where though. I got my new snows (245/55/R19) mounted on the spare set of wheels I purchased today and just had regular valve stems installed on them and no TPMS pucks installed. I found out the following. I have a Hybrid Limited and went into the small screen set up mode (hold dsp button) and reset the tire presure monitor to off. I have no warning lights or error messages coming up... this is great news for those worried about the light staying on. :chug:

·
Registered
08 Highlander Hybrid
110 Posts
I did not know you could do this...I have had the spare pressure deviate from the rest by a certain delta and the TPMS warning came on...nice to know it can be disabled.
I also noticed today that as you click through the screens the Tire screen will still come up and show the spares air pressure and the remaining 4 show 'Checking' but the light on the dash does not come on or show after turning it off in the 'dsp' settings. I'm glad I don't have to run around with that light on till spring, or have to buy 4 TPMS pucks for the snows and get reprogramed every spring and fall. I also found out that my service station/repair shop could reset the ECM if I did need to get them, but never did ask what they charged for that there Vs the dealer.

·
Registered
08 Highlander Hybrid
110 Posts
UPDATE: on a trip today (longer then a 20 min drive) the dreded light came on and the have your dealer check the TPMS note came up. Here I thought Toyota was smart enough to put a bypass in.... :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Tyota Highlander - Still Great Vehicle

Sorry to repeat this message from another thread, but I think it's important for folks to know. Buyer beware!!

Oh my gawd! We finally got some snow in MN. I just found out that my wife's $36,000 2006 Highlander Hybrid is 100% absolutely useless in powder snow. This thing will leave you stranded!!!! Do not buy one of these if you will ever need to drive off the pavement!!! I knew from reading the owner's manual that the Highlander Hybrid is not to be considered an off-road vehicle. And I used to be OK with that, that's why I have a Chevy Silverado 4WD and it's awesome in deep snow. But this weekend I pulled that Highlander Hybrid into a parking lot that had about 8" of medium-weight snow (not fluffy, but not slushy either, good snowball making snow). And the vehicle instantly came to a complete stop!! Stepping on the gas pedal had NO EFFECT. The engine will not rev up, no power is applied to the wheels, and it just sits there like a freaking boat anchor!! What a horrible piece of crap!! This vehicle will leave you stranded if you ever try to drive in anything that will cause wheel slippage such as medium depth snow, loose sand, gravel, etc. In such a situation small 2WD drive cars would be able to keep going and you will be left stranded in your nearly $40,000 piece of Toyota crap!! I just called the service manager at the Toyota dealer and complained and she said "But it's unusual to drive one of these in 8" of snow". Bull crap! Our cul-de-sac often has that much snow in the event of one of our increasingly rare MN snowfalls. These things need to have a mode where you can shut off the Traction Control system, even if that puts you only into front-wheel-drive-only mode.
I have just read several complaints about the Toyota Highlander and how poor the traction is in snow. I am sorry but I must disagree, my 2004 Highlander Limited has been wonderful. Even, 101K miles later. I have had the opportunity of driving this vehicle in all kinds of weather including DEEP snow. It has always been stable and sure footed. I have been able to traverse through conditions that have put many other vehicles (including other SUVs) in the ditch. Maybe the problem is not the Highlander but your tires. The tires I have used on this vehicle have been 1. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's (A Very Good Tire) and 2. Pirelli Scorpion ATR's (An Even Better Tire).

·
Registered
2006 HighlandrHybrid
44 Posts
A 2004 non-hybrid is not really a equivalent comparison for the original thread, the issues with poor snow traction is more to do with the hybrid system and the traction control it uses than the overall highlander chassis.

That said, I recently got a 2006 hybrid with 4WD-i. I live in Alaska and need to contend with snow for more than 1/2 the year. With blizzak snow tires on, I am entirely satisfied with the snow traction ability of my HH. I went out and tested once we had our first decent snowfall this year and had no problem getting started from a dead stop going up a steep hill covered with +8" of untracked snow, couldnt make it get stuck.
I didnt try a similar test before switching to snow tires but know from past experiece know that the traction difference between all-season tires and snow tires is substantial. If you do have snow traction difficulties on all-season tires, switching to snow tires will definitly cure the problems reported with getting stuck in snow and also will improve your snow/ice braking, turning, stability and overall safety too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is interesting the "boat anchor" issue came up again. The "anchor" may indeed be caused by poor tires? May be the hybrid is not a 4WDi? Poor tires and 2WD may combine for poor performance in snow and ice.

We have an '06 Highlander Hybrid 4WDi on all-season (GY Fortera TripleTred) with "Severe Service" emblem (Snowflake on Mtn). This car was accidentally driven over a large patch of thick clear ice in an empty parking lot. We did not even know we were on ice until we stepped out and nearly slipped.

On a steep turning 100-ft uphill incline (~45-deg?) to our mountain cabin, there was one instance of left rear slip that we could hear but the steering felt nothing and the car as a whole did not have trouble getting up to our place. It was a combination of packed snow with many patches of packed down dirty ice.

No problems with snow and slush yet. Our tires are down to about 5/32 and CA no longer recognizes them as snow-capable. I expect performance to degrade so we are switching to our Nokian snow tires for winter driving in the mountains. The snow tires + 4WDi combination have not failed us yet over two winters. This will be our third.

Drive safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am now convinced that the boat anchor problem is actually a tire problem

I had the boat anchor situation last year, running the original Toyo A20 tires, even with only 12,000 miles on them. The slightest incline and the smallest snowfall would shut the thing down.

Just got Toyo H/T tires in stock size (245/55/19) and had the chance to try them out last week in 9" of snow. The tires completely changed the driving experience. Could not get the car stuck no matter how hard I tried.

'08 HH

·
Registered
08 Highlander Hybrid
110 Posts
I am now convinced that the boat anchor problem is actually a tire problem

I had the boat anchor situation last year, running the original Toyo A20 tires, even with only 12,000 miles on them. The slightest incline and the smallest snowfall would shut the thing down.

Just got Toyo H/T tires in stock size (245/55/19) and had the chance to try them out last week in 9" of snow. The tires completely changed the driving experience. Could not get the car stuck no matter how hard I tried.
'08 HH
That is good to know... I purchased a set of wheels and Blizzaks so as not to experience the problems mentioned. However, the A20's wear out so quickly if Michelin doens't offer a tire by the time my A20's are totally unsafe my plan was to get the HT's, just for the mileage rating alone.

·
Registered
2008 Highlander Hybr
55 Posts
My car only has 11,500 miles but the Toyos will be shot by 18-20,000 and then I'll move to 255/55 x 19. There are many others in the 2008+ Highlander forum that have made the move to this size already and are very happy.
I did end up putting the Brdgestone Alenza 255/55R19s on my 08 HiHy, but was surprised to see the gas mileage drop as much as it did - from approx 28 mpg to 20.5. I didn't expect that big of a decrease since everyone on the non-hybrid forum seemed so happy with them. Seems like I decreased one of the main benefits of having a hybrid. I plan to have Toyota check it out to make sure there's not something else going on, but mpg started immediately dropping after new tires installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We recently received 18" of snow in less than 24 hours here in South Western VA. We have the Toyo H/T tires in stock size on the Highlander and it made it around just fine. Actually, let me qualify that... Snow stopped on Saturday morning, and I didn't go anywhere until Sunday afternoon. None of the roads had been plowed where I live, and there were already some grooves from people with large 4x4s. Even on roads that hadn't seen much traffic the Highlander did great. It did make it easily up a road that hadn't been driven on by anyone by Sunday. The snow was at least 12 to 14 inches deep, and I could hear all of the underbody stuff dragging through the snow. Just for kicks, I even ran it in EV mode through the snow and was really impressed in how it did. Overall, I'm happy with how it handled.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reading this thread brought back terrible memories of me and the 94 Supra TT. The trac system put me in a rear wheel lock while I was driving in the rain, as it falsely detected I was in a spin out situation, and further actuated the trac system, and put me in a single vehicle spin on the freeway.

I've just put a deposit on a 06-HH, and having 2nd thoughts about it.
The DSC (traction control) on my 98 540i has never had a faulty reading, and performed fanastically in saving my hyde more than 3 times. Once in a black ice condition - the light flickerred and clued me in. Another time, I over estimate my exit speed in a snow drift, and it actuated the right sets of brakes to correct my manouver around a curb.

Unfortunately, the DSC in my 540i broke for the past 3 winters, and I've been doing my own traction management. But I've always had a good set of winter tire on.

The main concern with this Toyota is it detecting a false positive for traction loss, and putting me further into an accident situation. Its not unheard of with Toyota. I have first hand experience, and others have as well.

Worse comes to worse, I'll make a switch to the fuse, and also drill out the TRAC butterfly if they still use that. I don't what that TRAC butterfly completely cutting out the engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes I know - dead horse.

Fingers cross that Toyota has greatly improved its accuracy since the Supra TT days wrt their TRAC.

I know all about winter tires - must have went through 8 sets so far on my other cars.

I won't do a winter without them on any vehicle, unless its a tank - litterally.

I'm just really concern about Toyota history with activating on faulty positive traction loss sensing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very interesting post. It had been much debate in our family whether or not to get snow tires for the 08HiHy. We have a 00 4x4 Durango for really bad weather days so we decided not to go ahead with the tire purchase. We've been lucky this year and there haven't been that many "snow days", but we do have a cottage 2 hours North East of our home that gets lots of snow. Well, over the Christmas holidays we drove the HiHy up to our cottage and sure enough lots of snow. The driveway which is about a 30 degree incline was perfect for tobogganing for our kids. Well, when it came time to leave I was very sceptical that the HiHy would make it up since we'd been tobogganing on it all week the snow was pretty packed down and icy. Fortunately, no problems driving up the hill, I'll admit the start wasn't from a standstill, we had probably 15 feet of flat ground before the hill and we've had to tow many front wheel drive vehicles and all rwd vehicles up the driveway over the years but the HiHy walked up the hill without incident. I was very impressed, which is why I was shocked when I read this post. Don't know why one HiHy can't move in 5" - 6" of snow but another can walk up a inclinde driveway pretty much made of ice. I guess I'm just lucky and got a good one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to post a quick update. HiHy seems to be doing well in all of the snow we've been getting. I was out Friday afternoon while it was snowing and it did great. We had around 7 or 8 inches on most roads and I never got stuck, or even thought I would get stuck. Again, I have the Toyo H/T tires on it. I really do wish though that there was a button to turn off the traction control like the Infiniti. The Infiniti will let me blast through the snow at WOT and have loads of fun. Highlander wants to keep me from doing anything fun(dangerous?). It gets me where I need to go without any worries, so on that front it is successful. The heated windshield wipers are really nice too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New 2010 HH

Thus far the HH did alright with the snow we had overall. Going up a hill at 20% was no issue in 5 inches of snow. I had one scary episode though going down the same hill. I drove very slowly and stopped to see if the car would slip on snowy not icy road. It didn't at first but the car would not move when I tried to move again! Motor would not rev up. Instead the car began to slip sideways from the back. Fortunately the side of the road had rough gravel and stopped the car. No damage because of the slow speeds involved but scary losing engine power in a situation like that. I left the HH there and used my 12 year old Honda CRV which worked just fine. So watch out downhill, it is a heavy car and I don't think snow was a big part of the traction control design at Toyota for the HH.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dislike the limitation inherent in the HH drive system. That said, my family has adapted by working around the limitation.

Being from Grand Blanc, Michigan and having been up and down the peninsula in Winter, here is some experience.

Regardless of technologies, everything hinges on having traction whether we are driving in ice, snow, sand, mud, slippery tall grass or just slippery muck. No traction, nothing works.

For peace of mind, joy of driving and safety for my family, we use four snow tires and carry chains for all four tires. I no longer worry about black ice or whether the all-season tires can handle this or that. From experience, I know what the snow tires can and cannot handle and we adjust accordingly and easily. The ability to keep rolling in safety is well worth the extra few dollars.

We use Spike-Spyder for front and back. It takes my wife about 6 minutes to install all four and about 7 minutes to dismount, clean and stow away all four. When I am with her and we work together, installation takes about 3 minutes and dismount takes about 5 minutes. We do all of it at a leisurely pace and with gloves on. After years of dealing with "regular" chains, this is a refreshing change.

Drive Safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was very impressed, which is why I was shocked when I read this post. Don't know why one HiHy can't move in 5" - 6" of snow but another can walk up a inclinde driveway pretty much made of ice. I guess I'm just lucky and got a good one.
No mystery, really -

You have tires that allow the traction control system to work, and some drivers are still using the awful Toyo A20s that came with the 19" wheels.

What tires/wheels do you have?

181 - 200 of 408 Posts