Toyota Nation Forum banner

261 - 280 of 408 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,419 Posts
I have the OEM Dueler H/L 400 tires on my 2008 non-hybrid Highlander, and I am very happy with them. I've read the poor reviews too regarding mileage, as well as many postings to TN, and IMO those accounts are due to poor tire maintenance, poor driving habits, or both. I have 31,000 on my Duelers right now (30% highway miles and 70% city) and I'm estimating a minimum of 45,000 miles and possibly approaching 50,000 before the wear indicators show. I agree about the low rolling resistance of these tires, which has likely helped me achieve 28 MPG highway (at 65 MPH) with the gas-powered version. If the performance characteristics and/or the price of the Duelers is equal to or better than other tires you're considering, then I wouldn't shy away from buying them again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking for recommendations on new tires for my 2009 Hybrid Highlander. My factory set has run an amazing 40k miles but they are basically down to nubs. There appear to be only two or three options to choose from, and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations. The OEM replacements appear to be rated very poorly by users for tread wear and I put on a ton of miles each year (30-35k+).

I'm leaning toward the Blizzak's since they have rock-solid reviews, but they are also a more agressive tread tire meaning more road noise and potentially slightly less mileage. I DO live in Minnesota and our winter is fast approaching (5+ months of ice/snow).

The Dueler H/L400's are the stock OEM. Marginal reviews & crappy tread life, however they are low rolling resistance tires (equals better mileage).

Never heard of the Hankook's.... but they are listed as compatible.

Size: 245/55R19

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 (Highway All-Season)
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow)
Hankook Ventus AS RH07 (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
I just put the Toyo HT's on my 08 and they seem great, so far ( http://www.treadepot.com/tire/362850.html). Good tread pattern and depth and reviews seem good compared to the stock Toyo AT tire. The Blizzaks, which I have mounted on a set of wheels for winter, are strictly winter tires and the summer would eat them up pretty quickly as the commpound is geared for colder weather. The Dueler's have so so ratings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Highlander tires

I've have been reading about the problems with sizes for Highlanders and have some suggestions. Having owned two Chevy SSRs with offset front and rear tires I was always searching for replacements for the 19" fronts and 20" rears. Now that I own the Highlander Hybrid I didn't think I was going to get into a tire issue but my 2009 with 10k miles has diminishing tread on the Toyo A20's and I expect to replace them at 20k miles

Here is what I learned from my Chevy tire investigation:

1. You can change sizes as long as the new diameter is +/- 1.5% of the old diameter. This is a rule of thumb. Reason was on the Chevys, the traction control and anti-skid breaking liked the original diameter. >5% also messes up the speedometer and odometer. 1.5% is in the margin of error but I would prefer it less.
2. Go to http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
This site for discount tire has a calculator.
3. You will note that upping the size to 255-55/R19 which some folks recommend adds .43 inches to the overall diameter, or about 1.45% which is still in the acceptable range.
4. I would prefer a little more margin because of the hybrid technology. If one steps it up to 265-50/R19, the difference is a minus .19 inches in overall diameter. This is a change of -.6%. This to me is a better solution. There are 5 choices of this size including Michelin on the discount tire site.
5. The only word of advice is this gives a tire which has the almost the same diameter, a slightly lower profile and is 3/4 of an inch wider. You need to check if the extra width won't rub on any of the front suspension when turning. It would give the Hihy a wider stance. Make sure the load rating is also sufficient.

I have Bridgestone Duellers on my Infinity FX35, 265-55/R18s and they are pretty good tires. I still prefer Michelins.:thumbsup:

Green Hihy

·
0 Posts
I changed over to the Yokohama AVID Envigor at the last tire change. They carry a 60K warranty. We will see if they last. We have had them on know for about 10K and so far very happy. We did see a drop in MPG with the tire change, so if maxing MPG is a concern there maybe better options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my 2006 Highlander Hybrid to a small piece of beach in Southern Cali that allows some offroading today and I got stuck. My front tires dug into the ground and the rear did NOTHING. Traction control worked against me when I punched the accelerator. I'm very disappointed that Toyota does not allow traction control to be disabled for special circumstances. I'm going back to a good old Chevy for my next off road vehicle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
FYI, Toyota says NOT to use the Highlander hybrid off-road...it's right in the manual and in the brochure (Just checked my 2008 brochure and I'm sure it's in the newer ones as well). When the brochure describes the 4WD-i system there is a disclaimer that the system was not designed for off-road use. The drive-train of the 2006 hybrid is the same up through 2010...2011 only changes the 3.3L engine for the 3.5L so the hybrid is still not designed for off-road use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Driving on sand

AFIK, stepping on the gas will just dig you deeper in the sand. It would be better to let some air out of the tires.

Dune buggies are light weight and have balloon tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Possible replacement option

I just got and '08 HiHy limited that has ~3/32 left on the Bridgstone Dueler H/L 400 tires on it now. Reading reviews about the current tires they seem to be the worst choice possible. After finding this great forum and knowing I'll need new tires soon I started checking and found the "Continental ContiProContact" in the standard P255/45 R19 size at WalMart for a reasonable price. Reviews seem to be pretty good and they are listed as Low Rolling Resistant: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=545HR9CPCXL&tab=Specs

Just checking to see if anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks,
Neal

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure you get 255/55 19 not 255/45 19. BTW, there are many more choices in the stock 245/55 19 now then there were last year. Goodyear now has a tire as does Hankook. Toyo has two different models; the Versado CUV and the Open Country HT. Both Toyos are good tires and nothing like the poor OEM A20s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure you get 255/55 19 not 255/45 19. BTW, there are many more choices in the stock 245/55 19 now then there were last year. Goodyear now has a tire as does Hankook. Toyo has two different models; the Versado CUV and the Open Country HT. Both Toyos are good tires and nothing like the poor OEM A20s.
Thanks, I had a case of dyslexia with my typing there :D

I found a local dealer that has the Toyo Open Country H/T in the P245/55 R19 so I'm going to give those a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire Questions/Comments

from New England, 19" rim w/ OEM Toyo A20

This past winter, I put on Blizzak DM-V1 snows, spectacular tires, drove w/ confidence through heaviest of snows, 2feet+ in one storm, no problem for these. Yes, mileage was 22-23 instead of 26-28, but an easy tradeoff for me. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE!.

Now, have to change out tires, A20's bald, please help w/ questions:
I am deciding between three tires:
Toyo Open Country H/T
Toyo Versado CUV
or Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max (new addition on tirerack.com).
What is your experience with these:
a. mileage
b. wet driving
c. dry driving
d. comfort
e. road noise.
thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have Toyo Versado CUV. Mileage is same as A20s and the tire is excellent in the wet and dry. It is also VERY quiet with a great ride. I have 8,000 miles on the tires and have been very pleased. FYI, they are very good in the snow. No problems this winter at all. A20s were "entertaining". The Versado CUVs took all the excitement out of winter.

Very good tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Changed tires - mileage decreased

I changed from the Michelin LX4 to the Michelin Latitude Tour. There really is no difference in ride or noise level that I can tell. The only thing is that my mileage is down about 1.5 MPG. Have others had similar experience? FWIW - I have checked air pressure and it is 36 as it was before.

·
Premium Member
34,419 Posts
What do the technical reviews say about rolling resistance for those tires? It's tough sometimes to get everything you might want in a tire, and I put tread life, low noise, low roll resistance as my top three.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, Tirerack.com gives all of those specifics in their charts...easy to look at them when doing the compare mode. that is weird, as the latitude is supposed to be a green tire and supposedly better fuel economy.....

·
Premium Member
34,419 Posts
You need to remember that tires have a break-in period after being mounted, and not only does this break-in period require more mellow driving but will result in lower mileage. After several hundred miles your mileage will improve by several percent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tires always get less gas mileage when they are new with thick tread than when the tread is worn out. The thinner the tread, the less resistance the tire will exhibit as the tread flexes. Tires consume energy and heat up as the tread and sidewalls flex, compress, and expand, as the tire rolls.

If you had replaced your worn LX4's with new LX4's you would have still seen a drop in gas mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TPMS sensor reset location..not where older post say it is

Hey all. First post. We have a 2008 Highlander hybrid. Just took off the snow tires and stuck on the summers...these have TPMS sensors in them that were working fine last fall. Can't find the reset button for my life.

I've looked for it based on this thread.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267496

Using the picture posted in above thread, I found the location. However, the metal bracket holding the reset button is empty!

Any thoughts on where to find it or how to reset?

Thanks!

Jay

261 - 280 of 408 Posts
About this Discussion
407 Replies
149 Participants
ukrkoz
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing