Toyota Nation Forum banner

281 - 300 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
The hybrids do no have a reset button...none needed. Does your display (small screen) show the tire pressure?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Jeff! I should have looked more closely prior to posting. One of the tires was a tad low so the display was flashing the tire pressure instead of other information. My wife, who did the searching for the reset button, did not realize the orange PSI value might be the cause! We've since added air to the tire. Sorry for taking up your time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tire choices

My 08 hihy is pretty bare especially around the edges. It has the toyo tires and have about 35k on them. Wondering what most people are liking for their hihy for an all season tire? Im in Indianapolis so we get our fair share of snow etc. No complaints about the Toyos (other than seem to be short lived), just looking for other suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tires for the Highlander (P245/55R19) as of July 2011

Hello All,

Just thought I would post a quick version of my research for those of you considering new tires. I have an '09 HHY and wore out my Toyo's in about 27K. I have done some fairly extensive though not exhaustive research into the tires available for our tire size as listed above. Below, in no particular order are the tires I found available.

I was not able to get Rolling Resistance data for the tires to compare them directly and I ended up going with the Falken ZIEX ZE-912 due to the fact that they where (I think) the highest speed rated tire and they have excellent wet weather performance. I love them, two tanks of gas and they are nicer to drive on by a fraction than the TOYO's OEM tire and I think quieter. In Vancouver they are also the leading tire being fitted to Limo's. Anyway:

July 2011 Data: These are just the All Seasons or Summer tires, not winter specific.

Michellin - None
Nokian - None
Hankook - Ventus AS RH07
Goodyear - Assurance CS Fuel Max
Dunlop - Signature CS
Bridgestone - Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
TOYO - OEM obviously but who would put those back on unless required.
TOYO - Versado CUV - New Tire, seriously considered these.
Falken Tire - ZIED ZE-912
Yokohama - AVID ENVigor (These were my second choice)
Nitto - None

As I said for me I went with the Falken's, I think the Yoko's would of maybe produced a better fuel efficient tire but I like the performance of the Falken's and the subsequent benefits there.

Hope this is of some use for those of you hitting the 30K mark on the OEM tires.

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
correct tire pressure but bad wear on inner and outer tread

My '08 HH has 245/55 R19 tires. The door sticker and manual call for 33psi.
On a recent maintenance run, the dealer jacked it up to 42/43 psi. APART from all that, I see uniform wear on the inside and outside of every tire telling me the 33psi I've been putting in for a couple of years has been UNDER-inflating the tires. I guess the dealer was correct even though Toyota recommends 33psi. Tire wear tells all, right?

Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
IMO car manufacturers are notorious for recommending inflation pressure that's too low. Your tires, however, are lower profile than standard tires for a Highlander (245/65 R17) which would require a higher inflation pressure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's seriously weird if true, and I have no reason to doubt you.
Anyway, the tires are worn and telling me they're under-inflated.
That's the truth and enough to have me pump 'em up!

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Are you the original owner of the vehicle? The "low pressure tire wear" could have occurred thousands of miles ago and only recently adjusted to the recommended setting of 33. I ran my tires at 33-34 and had even wear across the tires. If I inflated my tires to 40+ psi I'd make the fillings in my teeth rattle when going over bumps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's interesting. I bought it with 18K+ and now it's at 60K+.
I live in the NE and have new tires rattling around in my brain before winter and have been checking the tread seriously for the first time in a long time.
Frankly, I never looked carefully at the wear on the inside and as mentioned see it's evenly worn there, as on the outside, hence the reasoning that the tires have been under-inflated all this time. Anyway, if I do buy a new set of tires, I think I'll set the pressure a bit higher than the 33psi and see how it goes. Again thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steel Wheels

I would like to purchase a set of steel rims and dedicated snow tires for my 2007 HiHybrid 2 wheel drive, but Tire Rack and others say they are unavailable. Is this due to the tire pressure sensor? Anyone able to locate such an item?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2007 HiHy 2 WD which TPMS?

I just purchased a 2007 Highlander Hybrid 2 WD Limited
I want to purchase 4 snow tires with designated wheels. Tire rack asked the question does it have:
ABS based TPMS or Direct TPMS?

I wrote to them and they said check with the dealer and the VIN number. So I go to the dealer and the service manager looks at the valve stems and says they are rubber not metal so it is a direct TPMS.

Now everything I read on line indicates he may have it backwards and it is a direct TPMS if the valve stems are the medal hex type.

So which do I have? The manual has no information on a TPMS. I do see a warning light (tire picture) on the dash but it is not shown in the manual on the diagram of the dashboard.
The valve stems are normal rubber type and there is no reset button under the dash like mentioned in other threads.

HELP I need to get these snow tires ordered soon! And thanks for the info.

·
2013 Tacoma
612 Posts
Looks like your Highlander has the indirect system, which is ABS based. Your dealer has it backwards....a direct system would have the sensors in each wheel. With the indirect system, the vehicle does not care what tires you have or even what the actual PSI is, but only that all 4 wheels are rotating at the same speed in a straight line...as an under-inflated tire will spin faster.

Everything I've read indicates that you have the indirect system on your '07 HL, but obviously I can't say for 100% certainty. Also, I can't recall ever seeing a Toyota indirect system that did not have a reset button somewhere. I think on the HL it located near the bottom of the steering column.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like your Highlander has the indirect system, which is ABS based. Your dealer has it backwards....a direct system would have the sensors in each wheel. With the indirect system, the vehicle does not care what tires you have or even what the actual PSI is, but only that all 4 wheels are rotating at the same speed in a straight line...as an under-inflated tire will spin faster.

Everything I've read indicates that you have the indirect system on your '07 HL, but obviously I can't say for 100% certainty. Also, I can't recall ever seeing a Toyota indirect system that did not have a reset button somewhere. I think on the HL it located near the bottom of the steering column.
Thanks for the help. At the bottom of the steering wheel column and just to the right is a knockout spot where that reset button should be mounted ....but it does not exist. I find it strange that the manual says nothing about a TPMS. It does talk about the ABS system. Yet when I turn my ignition to run I see the "Tire picture light" on the dash.... but still the manual does not show it on the page that shows the dash board warning lights? I appreciate you input.

·
2013 Tacoma
612 Posts
Yeah...not sure how to help you then. There should be a way to reset the system. But if your system is currently not showing a fault warning and you have the indirect setup (which I think you do) then replacing your tires and/or wheels should have no effect on your TPMS. As long as all 4 tires are the same size and same PSI the system doesn't care what eles is going on.

·
Toyota Owner
25 Posts
TPMS Winter Tire Swap with ATEQ - 2012 HiHy

So far, not so good. Although I think I may have it figured out.

The ATEQ Quickset does not list the 2012 Models yet.

The programming went well. Green light, no problem. It took 20 minutes before the light came on.

In the meamwhile I was watching the tire pressures on the information centre and they were all changing, except the spare. It was showing 28 the entire trip.

I also have acquired the ATEQ VT30. I believe the issue is that the profile I am using in the Quickset (2011 Hoghlander Hybrid) is in the incorrect order for the 2012 model. (I'm not sure its correct for 2011)

I will post my progress here. When I leave work tonight I will load a new order and a different spare. After scanning the TPMS wheel by wheel it appears the true order is:

SPARE
RIGHT REAR
LEFT REAR
RIGHT FRONT
LEFT FRONT

Whereas the ATEQ Quickset lists them as:

FRONT LEFT
FRONT RIGHT
REAR RIGHT
REAR LEFT
SPARE

That lead me to believe the spare was a different wheel completely. Maybe that is why it said 28 for the trip.

I will update here on my progress and hopefully be able to help others with the 2012 HiHY so they won;t need the VT30 also.

·
Toyota Owner
25 Posts
Well this is an easy follow-up.

I re-ordered the wheels and identified the spare properly and all is well now. No light!!

Jope this helps other 2012 HiHY owners.

ATEQ Quickset Description (When downloaded) / Actual:

FRONT LEFT / SPARE
FRONT RIGHT / RIGHT REAR
REAR RIGHT / LEFT REAR
REAR LEFT / RIGHT FRONT
SPARE / LEFT FRONT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Speedometer accuracy

I recently tried using an iPhone navigation app (Waze) and found that it says that my speedometer is fast by 3mph. Anyone else notice something similar?

281 - 300 of 408 Posts
About this Discussion
407 Replies
149 Participants
ukrkoz
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing