Toyota Nation Forum banner

401 - 408 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid
49 Posts
ukrkoz, Is that the Yokohama Geolander GO55? Do you use the stock air pressure in those? (I see the maximum pressure is higher, 51 vs. 44, but perhaps that's meaningless.) Thanks.

·
6,651 Posts
I think so. I sold car 2 yrs ago... but it definitely was LRR tire.
reason I like Yokos so much is simple. Those are the only tires I encountered, that went 20K miles OVER the warranty tread life and still could have been driven for another year. Also, I literally never had any hydroplaning or else issues with them. Unlike Tire Man ones.

Now, I will always say - for winter use winter tires. Don't complain at summer tires or all season tires that they do not behave right on snow. Not meant to.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ukrkoz, Is that the Yokohama Geolander GO55? Do you use the stock air pressure in those? (I see the maximum pressure is higher, 51 vs. 44, but perhaps that's meaningless.) Thanks.

Just get the Defenders like everyone except him suggests and you'll be happy you did!

EDIT: Didn't realize OP was in Texas, where there will likely be no snow driving. Maybe Defenders are not for you then.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Now, I will always say - for winter use winter tires. Don't complain at summer tires or all season tires that they do not behave right on snow. Not meant to.
There's now a third choice - All Weather Tires which can be used year round with better handling on snow than All Season and better tread life/handling/braking than snow tires.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/all-season-versus-all-weather-tires

https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/all-weather-tires-offer-an-edge-in-snowy-conditions-perform-well-year-round/

·
Registered
3 Posts
I research the hell out of important purchases like this. The consumer report reference is great, and I also highly recommend using tirerack.com for spec comparisons as well as owner’s feedback and ratings (even though I buy locally). They also test and rate the most popular, with nice video reviews like this:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/test-result.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX&partnum=55VR0PRLTXXL&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Highlander+Hybrid&autoModClar=
I went with and very happy so far with Michelin Premier LTX on my 2017 AWD Hybrid. I prefer Michelin as I feel any extra cost are recouped in savings due to longer actual tread life (although I’d like to know if others experienced Yoko’s lasting 20k longer than rated as reported here). I think the LTX Premier’s have best overall ratings, including braking and hydroplaning, moderate snow/ice (for North Georgia) while still having 60k mi warranty, plus their “new” to LTX” Premier “EverGrip” compound technology with tread designed to maintain hydroplaning resistance and “weather” traction as tires wear. I also replaced 19” wheels with 20” (Lexus Sport F-type style) and tire size 255/50R20 with reduced sidewall to maintain overall height while improving handling (even more than expected as far as less body-roll in curves), and a little more road feedback without noticeable loss of ride comfort and bump & impact absorption. Mileage TBD, but 13k miles them so far with no noticeable wear

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 HiHy Ltd
16 Posts
I replaced the Toyo Open Country with Goodyear Eagle All Sport on my '17 Limited. Made a big improvement in ride and handling (for an SUV).

The Michelins are probably a better overall tire but the Goodyears were on sale. I am guessing the Goodyears have more rolling resistance than the Toyos because my gas mileage went down slightly (0.1 - 0.2 mpg), but it was worth it. No more flat tires so far!

·
B52D,F,G,H
2019 HiHy Plat,2019 PriusLimited
34 Posts
There is none. Everyone has belly button, everyone has oil and tire preference.
If you need good mpg, you need low rolling resistance tires. From that on........ choices a plenty.
I will vouch without shade of doubt for Yokohamas. I LUV those tires.
Yes to all that advice. Think LRR and the ultimate answer to everything in the universe. 42

401 - 408 of 408 Posts