Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire pressure monitoring problem?

Hi,

Just got my new 2008 HH two days ago. As I rolled out of the dealers lot they said the tire monitor light would go off in a little while. It is still on 200 miles later. When i check the status, the measurements for three of the tires are 35, 35, and 36 cold and the other two read "checking". The nominal cold pressure is 33. What to do? reset the system? are there bad sensors in two tires or maybe they are out of the range of reading?

any suggestions? my dealer is 60 miles away! thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but for some reason my pressure was in the mid to upper 30's when I first got the car. I brought it to the dealer for something else and they said everything was fine. I recently put more air into them and the pressure stays about 40. The cold pressure stays at 33. I would just add a bit more air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tire pressure problem solved...

appantly when the HH arrives from the boat from Japan, the tires are overinflated for shipping purposes. When it gets to the dealer, they are supposed to release the pressure down to 33 psi and then activate the monitoring system. In my case, my dealer did not know about this - maybe this is new with the 2008 HH?

anyway, a bigger dealer that is nearby fixed the problem by activating the system in about 2 minutes...all is well now!

Jim

·
just a nobody
Echo
6,610 Posts
When the vehicle are ship from Japan, all the sensors are in sleep mode, so the batteries in the sensors won't be drained. During the inspection, the tech is supposed to activate them so they will function. Since three of them were actually reading, the tech did try to activate the system but two of them weren't done properly, so the 'checking' message kept coming up.

N.E.O.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what do you guys keep you pressures between. The tires say not to exceed 45 with maximum load. I keep them so when I'm driving normally it is around 40. Cold is about 37.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need New Tires, Which Ones

I have a 2006 HH that needs new tires. I have asked my local tire dealers and searched the internet trying to find what tires are the best for hybrids, (low resistance roll).
I have Michelin LX4 on it now. Great tire but the new ones don't come with a tread warranty and are expensive. I don't want to replace them with a tire that I am going to regret later or one that sucks on the milage.
I haven't found much info, so if you have replaced your tires and have had good luck with your milage then let me know.

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid
1 Posts
toyota dealerships (x2) couldn't find any 19" winter tires & couldn't provide any recommendations or options. called every tire place in the phone book. NOTHING for 19" winter tires. finally stumble across this place called BC Auto Design in Richmond Hill. they were able to fit 18" snow tires on my hybrid. apparently the hybrid's calipers are too big for the 17" wheels. very grateful that i got a set of winter tires. last winter's brutal snow fall was a white knuckle experience. anybody skidding in the snow & ice on the all seasons tires? i had some near misses despite the electronics decide to take over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WInter Tires - Check Tire Pressure?

I had a set of 18" Winter Toyo G-02 (245/65R17) installed on my 08 HiHy Ltd. Now the computer is unable to gauge this tire pressure, causing ! symbol on the dash, along with message advising " have dealer check tire pressure" Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to reset or stop this diagnostic?

·
Registered
472 Posts
toyota dealerships (x2) couldn't find any 19" winter tires & couldn't provide any recommendations or options. called every tire place in the phone book. NOTHING for 19" winter tires. finally stumble across this place called BC Auto Design in Richmond Hill. they were able to fit 18" snow tires on my hybrid. apparently the hybrid's calipers are too big for the 17" wheels. very grateful that i got a set of winter tires. last winter's brutal snow fall was a white knuckle experience. anybody skidding in the snow & ice on the all seasons tires? i had some near misses despite the electronics decide to take over.
Bridgestone Blizzaks are available in the 245/55 x 19 size.

·
A First Coast TN User
15 Posts
I also have the same question for my HH '08. The manual recommends 33psi but after I took back the SUV from the dealer (for a 5K oil & filter change) the mechanic filled up the tires up to 44psi! So which one is the correct tire pressure? Does anyone know?

·
A First Coast TN User
15 Posts
Just found out that the 44psi the mechanic put in are the max tire pressure allowed per the tire manufacturer. What a dope! And so I deflated the tires back to the Toyota recommended pressure of around 33psi.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just found out that the 44psi the mechanic put in are the max tire pressure allowed per the tire manufacturer. What a dope! And so I deflated the tires back to the Toyota recommended pressure of around 33psi.
33-34 is about right. 44 is the max for the load rating and would be absolutely incorrect. Handling would be terrible (not enough tire on the road) and the ride would be very stiff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Highway steering performance question

I just bought an 09 hybrid, fully loaded.

it is a very nice truck. I did notice one thing that I thought might be less than spectacular.

The steering seemed to need correction a lot at highway speeds, like it was not holding dead center.

Is this something anyone else noticed?

It was a little windy.

I have the Toyo tires.

·
A First Coast TN User
15 Posts
Tow Package Install & Spare Tire

Ever since the dealer installed the tow package, I have a problem winching up and down the spare tire because it hits the tow's rear bracket. Winching down the tire is not so much of a problem because I can kick the tire to the side of the bracket. But winching up is a problem because kicking the tire doesn't work as well and so I had to ask someone to lay down on the floor and guide the tire as I winched it up. So now installing the spare becomes a two-person operation which can be a problem for some of us :) My question is does anyone else have this same problem? I wonder if it is a tow installation snafu or a design oversight?

·
Go Buffs
HiHy 08
95 Posts
Welcome to the site...not sure I'd call the HiHy a truck, but whatever. There are sevevral possible reasons for the steering issues you have. What is the condition of the road (it could simply be tracking), wind certainly can effect it as well as new tires, balancing and alignment. I do not have this issue FWIW.

·
A First Coast TN User
15 Posts
I also noticed the same understeer with my HH '08. I don't have this problem when driving on the same roads & highways with my Bimmer or Ford Escape or Mazda MPV. So I know its not the roads :) I think its an issue with Toyota cars because I had the same problem with my '89 Camry. BTW, I also have the Toyo tires with the HH.

61 - 80 of 408 Posts