Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gagdetinspector,
I too have an 09 HiHy and live in Reno. I'm responding to your post about the trip to Tahoe. Were you using something other than the factory Toyo A20's? I too have been following this thread and am a little nervous, but I've been fine so far driving in the snow here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gagdetinspector,
I too have an 09 HiHy and live in Reno. I'm responding to your post about the trip to Tahoe. Were you using something other than the factory Toyo A20's? I too have been following this thread and am a little nervous, but I've been fine so far driving in the snow here.
We have factory tires.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander
14 Posts
New Tire types for 2007 Highlander Hybrid

Got the bad news this week that the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires are nearly worn out (at only 25k miles) and there is no tread wear warranty on OEM tires. Nice. So need to replace pretty soon.

Two different shops have suggested:
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV (both guys)
Goodyear Fortera TripleTred (both guys)
Cooper CS4 Touring (one guy)
Nokian WRG2 (one guy)

I am leaning towards the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. I have had great luck with other Michelin's. Not much luck with any Goodyears, and do not know much about Cooper or Nokian.

We live in New England and need good winter driveability. I realize none of these are particularly high rated for "low-rolling-resitance", but do not care much. The Integritys drove very poorly and I will sacrafice 1-2 MPG in exchange for better handling and driveability.

Thanks much for any suggestions or experienced tips out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Goodyear Fortera TripleTred and Nokian SUV WR G2 both carry the "Severe Service" emblem or Snowflake on the mountain badge.

We have the Fortera TripleTred for 3-season and the older Nokian WR SUV for winter driving.

Fortera TripleTred is stiffer but quiet and rolls well. Maintains air pressure well, wears quite well. In pouring rain, it has been stable and solid. In snow, at or below 45-MPH, it is solid and surefooted. We do not go over 45 in snow. On ice, at 15-MPH and lower on clear and dirty packed ice, it also works fine for us. The VDIM comes on periodically but steering holds straight and the car goes where we point. Stopping on ice is quite good with some ABS assist. It always stops within the time and distance we expected. On black ice in the mountains, we can see the VDIM blink but the car keeps tracking fine.

In dry weather, the TripleTred makes our '06 HH drive like a higher performance car. It can take a 90-deg backcountry turn at 25-MPH easy if you know how to drive it. The old Integrity would bounce and lean all over forcing me to slam on the brakes. On winding mountain roads, the TripleTred is surefooted, and the car is responsive and tight. On flat freeway through deserts of CA and NV, they track straight and true, rides smooth and quiet.

The Nokian WR SUV (first gen, not G2) is fantastic in winter condition. Much better in snow and ice than the tripletred. Less ABS action stopping on ice and very fast stopping. It plows through fresh or hard-packed snow like nothing. The car handles really tight on ice and snow. In the mountains, driving over the same stretch of roads, we either never hit black ice or the tires are so grippy, the VDIM never even activated once.

In slush snow, around corners, anything at or under 15-MPH works beautifully. A bit faster, VDIM comes on. I cannot sense why through the steering but my wife thinks it is probably lateral grip problem. Again, nothing that makes us feel nervous, no fishtaliing, the VDIM blinks and the car keeps turning and gets rolling.

In wet weather, it is an even match. In dry weather, the tripletred wins in responsiveness but only by a hair. It responds just a hair faster than the Nokian. Nokian is slightly louder on freeways but nothing bothersome.

In terms of rolling resistance, the TripleTred is grippy but stiff so it is not too bad. No data on the Nokian because we have had them for only two Winters, hard to say if rolling resistance is helping or hurting. The tripletred gets about 26 MPG combined. The Nokian gets 22-24 in Winter depending on terrain.

Of the two, I prefer the TripleTred for its sporty handling in dry weather but the Nokian for absolute dead-solid handling in snow and ice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I also have Fortera TripleTreds on my 2004 fwd Highlander and found them to be much better in snow than the OEM Toyo A11 Transpath tires that came with the Highlander. However, I was disappointed to find out in the November 2008 Consumer Reports that the TripleTred did not score well, placing 14th out of 20 for all season tires. The snow traction was rated good and ice braking was fair. Rolling resistance was rated good. The other tires you listed were not tested. The other tire I had considered was the Michelin LTX M/S, which according to the report, I should have gotten instead. Both at the time were about the same price, but I bought the Goodyears based on the Snowflake symbol. The Michelins were not Snowflake rated but even stated in an ad that they were better than the TripleTreds in snow, but I didn't believe them. My mistake.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also have Fortera TripleTreds on my 2004 fwd Highlander and found them to be much better in snow than the OEM Toyo A11 Transpath tires that came with the Highlander. However, I was disappointed to find out in the November 2008 Consumer Reports that the TripleTred did not score well, placing 14th out of 20 for all season tires. The snow traction was rated good and ice braking was fair. Rolling resistance was rated good. The other tires you listed were not tested. The other tire I had considered was the Michelin LTX M/S, which according to the report, I should have gotten instead. Both at the time were about the same price, but I bought the Goodyears based on the Snowflake symbol. The Michelins were not Snowflake rated but even stated in an ad that they were better than the TripleTreds in snow, but I didn't believe them. My mistake.
Only a mistake if you believe consumer reports testing. I do not believe they have the expertise to properly evaluate many of their products. Frankly, I prefer the wider audience that Tire Rack has for evaluations on tires.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander
14 Posts
Hey thanks much for all the information! Once we get the new tires I will post my experience in case it helps others. :)

Thanks, kevin

·
Registered
08 Camry
217 Posts
got Fortera TripleTreds as replacements for the OE Integrities on the wife's HiHy, very happy with them so far. VAST improvement in the snow over the Integrities. As for rolling resistance, the tripletreds have a max pressure of 44psi, and i run them usually at 40psi. they seem to be holding up well mileage wise as well, got a little over 30K on them so far and are only about half worn as far as i can tell.

we got ours at Sams Club for a very good price. you should check them out online.

good luck, and God Bless.

·
Registered
472 Posts
got Fortera TripleTreds as replacements for the OE Integrities on the wife's HiHy, very happy with them so far. VAST improvement in the snow over the Integrities. As for rolling resistance, the tripletreds have a max pressure of 44psi, and i run them usually at 40psi. they seem to be holding up well mileage wise as well, got a little over 30K on them so far and are only about half worn as far as i can tell.

we got ours at Sams Club for a very good price. you should check them out online.

good luck, and God Bless.
What size did you get? Rim size?

·
Registered
08 Highlander Hybrid
110 Posts
On my 06 I installed a set of Michelin Xice's on ASA wheels and it went anywhere. The stock Energy tires were terrible in the snow though. In fact now that I have an 08 I'll be selling those for the 06.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 06 I installed a set of Michelin Xice's on ASA wheels and it went anywhere. The stock Energy tires were terrible in the snow though. In fact now that I have an 09 I'll be selling those or the 06.
Hi Bob,
What tires do you have on your 09 HH this winter?
thanks.

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Just bought my 09 HiHy a couple of months ago, and it has the factory Toyo A20 tires. This vehicle will definitely be going into the Sierras every winter, and will also be towing a small trailer occasionally during the summer on dirt/gravel roads. This thread has got me a little freaked out!

After reading through all of the posts, it sounds like the first thing to think about doing is replacing the tires with something better for snow. Actual snow tires would not be a great choice for me, though, because most of the time the HiHy will be in non-snow conditions and snow tires are far from ideal for regular conditions. Can anyone recommend some good tires which will do well for regular driving but be better in the snow/gravel/dirt than the stock tires?

·
Registered
2009 THH
21 Posts
it sounds like the first thing to think about doing is replacing the tires with something better for snow. Actual snow tires would not be a great choice for me, though, because most of the time the HiHy will be in non-snow conditions and snow tires are far from ideal for regular conditions. Can anyone recommend some good tires which will do well for regular driving but be better in the snow/gravel/dirt than the stock tires?
The Goodyear triple treads should give you good traction on rain, snow, and ice. I have them on my minivan. I don't know what is needed for gravel or dirt.

They are a little noisier than some tires but that shouldn't be a problem for a Highlander.

They are a directional tire and can only be rotated front to rear (no left to right swap).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought my 09 HiHy a couple of months ago, and it has the factory Toyo A20 tires. This vehicle will definitely be going into the Sierras every winter, and will also be towing a small trailer occasionally during the summer on dirt/gravel roads. This thread has got me a little freaked out!

After reading through all of the posts, it sounds like the first thing to think about doing is replacing the tires with something better for snow. Actual snow tires would not be a great choice for me, though, because most of the time the HiHy will be in non-snow conditions and snow tires are far from ideal for regular conditions. Can anyone recommend some good tires which will do well for regular driving but be better in the snow/gravel/dirt than the stock tires?
I can identify with your situation. We do gravel road as well with some rocks and stones and we tow as well. Our trailer is rated 2000-lb GVWR. We also visit the Sierras especially after a good storm :). Our '06 HH uses the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred and has encountered Sierra ice, snow and slush; mostly on 120 and 41, Badger Pass and Yosemite Valley. The tires have also been through I5, 58 and 15 to Vegas and also Furnace Creek. These tires are excellent in dry and wet condition on paved surface. They tow fine and handle gravel road fine. They are good in slushy snow, packed snow and icy condition as long as you observe CHP / CALTRAN posted speed. The car is sure-footed. We even hit clear ice at low speed and we thought it was water. The car had full control and stopped straight and true with ABS actions.

For true four-season performance in CA, especially with more dry+wet and not so much snow and ice, we have had no problems with the TripleTred and the Nokian WR SUV. The only downside is they will wear down a bit faster in dry weather driving than dedicated summer tires. Snow-capable tires include softer compound and they wear faster in dry hot weather. We expect to get about 45,000 miles out of these before reaching the magic 6/32-inch depth. They will still do fine in dry and wet down to about 4/32 but I will no longer use them in the Sierras.

If you drive a lot in snow and ice like up in Northern CA or places like Reno, Tahoe or Oregon or the midwest, then dedicated snow tires is the safest choice. If you live in LA basin or SF bay area or anywhere in the dry central valley to coastal section and only visit the Sierras to play, then the two tires above should do fine.

There may be other brands out there that can do just as well but I have only experience with these two.

Oh, CA requires that you bring chains in the car. We are paranoid about safety so we have chains for all four tires. No point having traction only on two tires. The '06 HH has very tight clearance in the rear so we have to use Spike-Spyder for the rear.

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Thank you MellowGuy and Cahhdriver! I'm wondering what size you got the TripleTreds in. I have the stock P245/55R19 size on right now. Did you go with exactly the same profile?

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
I also forgot to ask which Goodyear TripleTred tire you are talking about. There is an Assurance TripleTred, which I think is meant for regular passenger cars, and there is a Fortera TripleTred which sounds like it's made for trucks and SUVs. I assume you are talking about the Fortera, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you MellowGuy and Cahhdriver! I'm wondering what size you got the TripleTreds in. I have the stock P245/55R19 size on right now. Did you go with exactly the same profile?
The 06 HH wants 225/65-17 but I run 235/65-17 on the same wheels. It is all within specification. It also makes the tire just a hair "taller" which we hope would help us on gravel road like on Racetrack Rd. :).

Your HH has a new wheel size so I would check with tire professional to see what fits. There are normally tires that will fit one size up.

Good luck!

101 - 120 of 408 Posts