Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
What to do to prepare for approaching WINTER?

What should I do?

I have Highlander Hybrid sitting on 19" Toyo Open Country tires:

-Buy snow chains? Never used them...when and how do you put them on and for how long?
-Buy 4 dedicated snow tires...BTW do I get new rims too (19" or 17"), if so why?
-Buy tow cables?
-Is there a "quick unstuck" kit? Besides keeping a small shovel...

WILL TOYOTA OR AFTERMARKET DEVELOP TRACTION DISABLE?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What should I do?

I have Highlander Hybrid sitting on 19" Toyo Open Country tires:

-Buy snow chains? Never used them...when and how do you put them on and for how long?
-Buy 4 dedicated snow tires...BTW do I get new rims too (19" or 17"), if so why?
-Buy tow cables?
-Is there a "quick unstuck" kit? Besides keeping a small shovel...

WILL TOYOTA OR AFTERMARKET DEVELOP TRACTION DISABLE?
No to chains, clearance issues
Yes to 4 snows, I just ordered 4 Blizzak 19"" from the Tire Rack

Small shovel and some sand is always good

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Chains would be preferable if there were no fit issues, but definitely snow tires. Like Bob suggested I'd take a shovel and tow straps too. I always have two straps (with hooks) aboard whether I'm in snow, ice, sand, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
tire size on hh

currently I have 225/65 R17 on my o6 hh.
can I change that to 225/60 R17 without any problems?
and yes im not up on tire size things, what do the 65 refer to?
thanks
chris

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Chris,

Click on this link to visit a thread in the 08+ Highlander forum regarding tire sizing. Read through all the replies (not that many) as there's a couple of links to web sites that gauge tire sizes vs. vehicle impingement, etc.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
What size tires did you order? I can't find any in 245-55-19 except Michelin pilot Alpin Pa3

thanks in advance
Tirerack shows the 245/55/R19 Blizzak's, but mine have been on BO since June when they first listed them. Hopefully they will be in within the week as my order shows Oct 30th for arrival, but a call from them at the end of the week left me wondering as they didn't seem to confident that Bridgestone would deliver on time.

I wanted the Michelin X-Ice's, like I had on my 06 and the wifes Prius, but Michelin wasn't making any tire in teh 245/55/R19 size :headbang:

Just checked my order status and it now shows 11/15 for delivery to them, was 10/30 yesterday....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone tried or experienced using tire chain or cable in their 245/55/19 tires?

I bought a tire chain "super Z6" that can fit 255/55/19 a year ago from a toyota dealer. I told them that my tire was 245/55/19, they said they dont have that size but the 255/55/19 will do just fine. That winter we went to Tahoe, but luckily the snow fall was not that bad so there was no mandatory use of tire chain.

Winter season is just around the corner and the whole family is planning to go to Tahoe.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
What size tires did you order? I can't find any in 245-55-19 except Michelin pilot Alpin Pa3

thanks in advance
The latest issue of Car and Driver (Dec 2009) has a small comparison between all-season tires and two winter tires. It's a real interesting comparison as it shows the benefits of a snow and ice tire like the X-Ice Xi2 versus it's downsides in dry and wet pavement. The Alpin PA3, a "performance winter tire" was a pretty good overall balance as was the all-season Michelin MXM4. It was an interesting read on winter tires...

The editors have a good sidebar on the benefits of all-wheel drive. Basically, they say save your money and just buy winter tires for your rear or front wheel driver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anyone tried or experienced using tire chain or cable in their 245/55/19 tires?

I bought a tire chain "super Z6" that can fit 255/55/19 a year ago from a toyota dealer. I told them that my tire was 245/55/19, they said they dont have that size but the 255/55/19 will do just fine. That winter we went to Tahoe, but luckily the snow fall was not that bad so there was no mandatory use of tire chain.

Winter season is just around the corner and the whole family is planning to go to Tahoe.

Any thoughts?
I'd be VERY careful with chains as from what I see there is very little clearance between the tire sidwall and rear struts/springs. They wouldn't have to loosen very much to cause some major suspension damage. Like anything it would depend on the desgin of the ones they sold you and installation. While it's warm and you have a chance it would be worth it to jack it up and check all your clearances before you need them.

·
06 Highlander Hybrid
20 Posts
This thread has had me concerned about the true 4WD capability of my wife's car.

I just returned to Seattle from Lexington, KY. On the night that we stopped in North Platte, NE they had 18 inches of snow with drifts 2-3 feet deep. The next morning there were all kinds of cars trying to get out of the unplowed parking lot with varying degrees of success. Most had several people helping push and were rocking back and forth but not going anywhere. We got into our 06 Highlander Hybrid 4WDi and simply backed up through the snow out of our parking spot and then drove away. No problems at all.

I didn't experience any of the problems described here. I don't know why but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth either.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
This thread has had me converned about the true 4WD capability of my wife's car.

I just returned to Seattle from Lexington, KY. On the night that we stopped in North Platte, NE they had 18 inches of snow with drifts 2-3 feet deep. The next morning there were all kinds of cars trying to get out of the unplowed parking lot with varying degrees of success. Most had several people helping push and were rocking back and forth but not going anywhere. We got into our 06 Highlander Hybrid 4WDi and simply backed up through the snow out of our parking spot and then drove away. No problems at all.

I didn't experience any of the problems described here. I don't know why but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth either.
I certainly agree with you regarding the Highlander's performance in the snow, and personally I think a lot of problems are attributable to how people drive in snow and ice. If you're interested in more detail about the Highlander performing in the snow, Howard, shoot me a PM and I'll send you links to other TN threads.

·
06 Highlander Hybrid
20 Posts
Thanks for the comment and kind offer -- I appreciate it. However, my personal experience leaves me comfortable with the Highlanders performance in snow so I'm not gonna worry about it anymore.

Thanks again,

Howard

·
Go Buffs
95 Posts
Never had a problem with mine (we just had 24 inches last week...and its 75 today...go figure). I would have to say winter driving issues are 80% operator and 20% equipment for a 4WD vehicle. Granted if you have slicks for tires you will have difficulty, but regular MS radials have suited me fine in alpine driving for 35 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the links TrailDust! Just had my original tires rotated at 20K miles and was informed all 4 tires are cracking on the inside part of the tire tread. I was surprised when I tried doing some research on tire prices online only to find no one carries the factory size.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the links TrailDust! Just had my original tires rotated at 20K miles and was informed all 4 tires are cracking on the inside part of the tire tread. I was surprised when I tried doing some research on tire prices online only to find no one carries the factory size.
There are many brands of tires in this size. Tire Rack is a good resource at tirerack.com. There are over 3 pages of tires in your stock size!

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
The original post was for a 2006 HH with 225/65 x 17 tires. Tire Rack has 27 tires in that size. In the 245/55 x 19 size that we are stuck with for the 2008+ models you are correct, there are only a few tires unless we move to 255/55 x 19. :headbang:

161 - 180 of 408 Posts
About this Discussion
407 Replies
149 Participants
ukrkoz
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing