Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shocked none of my 12v cigarette connections stay on after the car has been turned off. I would love for one of them to stay powered on for my cell phone to charge when the car is off. Anyone know how to by pass the turn off feature?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
You could wire one of them to a constant 12V source. Not a biggie and safe as long as you make sure to run a quality inline fuse.

·
2010 Highlander
43 Posts
My highlander doesn't have the 120v AC power convertor so I just tapped in to the fuse block in the engine compartment where the relay for convertor is supposed to go. The connectors are there, just no relay. I put a spade plug on the end of the wire and plugged it in to the side thats always hot. It's already fused at the same amperage (20A if I recall correctly) as the center and back 12v outlets, which are wired together anyway. I left the dash mounted 12v outlet alone so it still switches off with the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you just made a new hot wire from the fuse compartment, ran it into the car and under the center console and up to the hot terminal of the cigarette plug? I assume you just left the ground plug alone? Did you have to take apart your whole center console to make this connection?

·
2010 Highlander
43 Posts
Well, actually I cheated. I didn't feel like taking the console apart so I pulled the fuse that goes to the center and rear 12v outlets and created my own. I drilled out the center of a spare fuse to break the connection and filled it with super glue. I then trimmed away some of the plastic over one side and soldered the other end of the wire to the fuse and plugged it into the fuse block.

·
2010 Highlander
43 Posts
I wasn't quite sure how to include a picture with this response, but I created an album and upload the picture to it. You can see it in my public profile. I hope this makes it a little clearer. It's not pretty, but it works. You can't see it under the dash anyway. I added a piece of heat shrink to the soldered end. Makes it look a little nicer. I should have gone off to the side with the wire instead of straight out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible to just cut the cord that connects the console and rear hatch power and connect it like you have here? I assume there is a fuse for both those connections right?

·
2010 Highlander
43 Posts
Why didnt you just use a fuse tap, instead of what you did?
I most certainly would have if I could have found one. I checked locally and on the internet and no one carries that size fuse tap. No one had ever even heard of one that small. The larger blade type fuse taps were easy to find. but the size that the 2010 Highlander uses don't seem to exist, so I made my own! If you know of a dealer, please let me know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and just to clarify you tapped into the fuse on the inside of the engine compartment or the fuse under the drivers steering wheel?

I pulled the Electrical Outlet fuse in the engine compartment and it did not affect the 12v plugs. But I was able to pull the fuse in the driver's wheel well and it did turn off the plug. Are there two fuses for these plugs or is something labeled wrong in my owner's manual?

Finally, if I have connections that are not used in my car, like the seat heaters or something, can I tap into one of those assuming they don't turn off when the car is off too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, actually I cheated. I didn't feel like taking the console apart so I pulled the fuse that goes to the center and rear 12v outlets and created my own. I drilled out the center of a spare fuse to break the connection and filled it with super glue. I then trimmed away some of the plastic over one side and soldered the other end of the wire to the fuse and plugged it into the fuse block.
and just to clarify you tapped into the fuse on the inside of the engine compartment or the fuse under the drivers steering wheel?

I pulled the Electrical Outlet fuse in the engine compartment and it did not affect the 12v plugs. But I was able to pull the fuse in the driver's wheel well and it did turn off the plug. Are there two fuses for these plugs or is something labeled wrong in my owner's manual?

Finally, if I have connections that are not used in my car, like the seat heaters or something, can I tap into one of those assuming they don't turn off when the car is off too?
My apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but I've been looking into this and would really like to perform this "hack" myself.

I took a look at the fuses in the engine compartment and under the instrument panel, and like bluesdeluxe indicated, the only fuse I found that affected the 12 volt outlet by the snow button was under the instrument panel.

thesson, can you please let me know which fuse you modified and where you wired it to? It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
10 minute mod is to get two fuse taps and splice them together to make a "jumper wire". The connect one end to a "constant on" spare fuse slot. Pull the fuse for the 12v outlet and plug the other end of your jumper in place of that fuse.

CAUTION you will have to clip off one of the little spades on the fuse tap to prevent back feeding the factory circuit that normally supplies switched power to the 12v socket fuse. That circuit powers more than just the 12v socket!!!!

Did this for the wife's 2010 limited so she can keep her phone charger powered when the vehicle is off.

If you are comfortable using a voltmeter I have some pictures of how I did the mod. No grinding no soldering!

·
Registered
2 Posts
10 minute mod is to get two fuse taps and splice them together to make a "jumper wire". The connect one end to a "constant on" spare fuse slot. Pull the fuse for the 12v outlet and plug the other end of your jumper in place of that fuse.

CAUTION you will have to clip off one of the little spades on the fuse tap to prevent back feeding the factory circuit that normally supplies switched power to the 12v socket fuse. That circuit powers more than just the 12v socket!!!!

Did this for the wife's 2010 limited so she can keep her phone charger powered when the vehicle is off.

If you are comfortable using a voltmeter I have some pictures of how I did the mod. No grinding no soldering!
Thanks for your reply. I'll be doing this this week and would love to see some pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts