Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a wire that I can tap into to get constant power for the bed lights I am installing. The idea is to get them to be able to turn on via a switch in the bed, even if the truck isn't running or doors open, ect.

Does anyone know of a wire that could be tapped for this purpose? I could run a wire directly from the battery, but would prefer not to add another wire to the engine bay. Starting from the harnesses on the driver's side by the dead pedal would be much in my way of thinking.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
The safest route would be to run a wire to the battery, which is how I did mine. But the next best thing would be to tap into the trailer harness wiring behind the rear bumper, if you have the towing package.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Yeah, I think so. It's a 6 pin, which means that it should have provisions for constant power and trailer brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Fluxaholic said:
This has probably been asked and answered a million times, but does the trailer harness have a constant power (B+) source?
Pretty sure the BATT contact switched with the ignition IG1 circuit driving the BATT CHG relay. See pages 256 - 258 of the sticky under trailer towing. Could probably wire around it fairly easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts