·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 Chicago Auto Show: Most Significant Car and Truck Awards

02.09.2007​
By Ed Piotrowski

The Automotive Editors of Consumer Guide(r) recently named the 2008 Pontiac G8 and 2008 Toyota Highlander as the Most Significant New Car and Truck of the 2007 Chicago Auto Show. The awards were presented to their respective manufacturers on February 8.

The award, now in its 2nd year, goes to an automaker that introduces a new or completely redesigned vehicle at the Chicago Auto Show. To determine a winner, each Consumer Guide(r) editor analyzes its features and potential impact on the marketplace. Also considered is the timeframe when the manufacturer projects the car or truck will hit showrooms.

Complete article:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2007-most-significant-introduction-cga.html

G8:

Highlander:

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avalonman said:
That G8 is SO0 sexy
I agree!!! Since it's unvieling, I have cancled all my car buying plans until I can test drive one of these. 367hp, 391 ft*lb, 6 speed manual, slotted disk brakes. . .and those wheels are fantastic!!! October(ish) it should hit the US. It's based off the Holden Commodore:

·
Registered
735 Posts
The highlander is a nice looking ride. My boss has an '04. The new one looks more carish than his??? More like a tall station wagon??

I couldn't believe the G8 was "a go." That's the best looking car to come from Pontiac IN YEARS (and by years I mean since the 1972 GTO.) The car looks evil and will have the power to back it up. GM finally removed their head from their ass (well, at least until their next stupid move.)

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
engineer said:
2007 Chicago Auto Show: Most Significant Car and Truck Awards

Pontiac's new add compaign:

"Looks like a BMW; runs like a Pontiac" :lol:

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
mmmm... Bonneville replacement. :loove:

Sending power to the proper drive wheels, finally!

·
Registered
735 Posts
^ All thanks to the Zeta platform which is used for several Holden vehicles, the 2009 Camaro, 2009 Impala, and apparently the 2008 G8. It was also designed to be AWD capable.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Avalonman said:
Ok, I thought it was a replacement for the Grand Prix?
It's more of a direct replacement for the GP, yes.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
Shouldn't have renamed it. Maybe they'll pull a Ford and rename it back just like the Taurus.

·
TN's Pilot in Command
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
371 Posts
Where is the G8 going to be built? If it is built alongside the Commodore in Australia then I might consider the car my next car. I have been eyeing the GTO since it got the engine upgrade because it was an Aussie car. Cars over there have better quality than US built cars. Just my .02

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ yes, it's built "down under". Holden has always made great cars, it's about time GM started bringing them over. . . .

The entire Zeta Platform (GM's newest RWD platform) was totally designed by Holdon, so it should handle really well too.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
the front looks like an altima se-r. looks like another desperate attempt by gm: "if we can't beat 'em with our cheap stuff, we'll blow 'em away with our secret weapon" :rolleyes:

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^ So, you like it?

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm interesting. "Toyota news" section yet we are seeing "other" pictures... Some people are confusing this section with some other manufacturer's section... LOL !! :rolleyes:

·
2006 GTO
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like some threads here at TN, what starts off as a Toyota related post, often turns into something totally different. . . .

This was originally a post regarding an article that awarded the TOYOTA Highlander (and Pontiac G8) an award. Toyota news, yet the article mentions (and praises) another brand, imagine that!!! So while it is TOYOTA NEWS, it has turned into a discussion about the "non-Toyota" portion of the article, the G8.

I am sure the moderators have seen it, and have not moved it, so I guess they feel it is worthy of TOYOTA NEWS. . . . .

Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
On a Toyota News note, I think the Highlander is looking better the more pictures of it I see.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
I love that G8, but it's a shame they slapped the ugly Pontiac grille on it, the Holden looks so much better.

The Highlander is an SUV. It is boring.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts