Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after searching for some time, I finally found the box to which I had seen in another’s rig. Come to find out, Home Depot no longer will sell these boxes, as there was some issue according to the parent company that I talked to.

I know it's not "designed" for the Tacoma, but I think that it turned out pretty well, and there are no holes drilled into the bed of the truck.

Total cost was 44.oo for the box from LOWES, and a 12 pack of long necks for the welding. I used scrap aluminum
for the brackets, and my local machinist, who works for COORS LIGHT gave me a stick of 1.5" diameter 48" long solid aluminum dowel for this project.

On to the pics:

I just need to seal up where the pipe went through the box, and she's good to go. Overall I’m very happy with the cost, and final outcome. Not bad for 9ft^3 of space that I can put my groceries in when I’m on the way back from the market.

--Allen

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
you got the idea from me right ? :thumbup: though mine is not secure. Can i see pics on how you secured yours ?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lotust said:
you got the idea from me right ?
Yea, I did. I looked and looked to find that damn box, but it was to no avail at every damn local Home Depot in the central valley. :cursin:

When I finally went called Contico, they said that I'd be able to find 'em at LOWES.

As for the mounting, I will take a few pics later this afternoon when the suns up so that you can get a better look at it.

To be honest, it's about as simple as it gets. Long bar, welded on some ears, and drilled the holes for it to be mounted using the back bed mount hardwear. I used 1oo grit sand paper to give it a little "brushed" look for that "touch of bling" :ugh3:

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
I have a box really similar to that one that I found at Wal~Mart. I always ratchet-strap it in the bed for road trips. it's the perfect size for my luggage set (1 large suitcase, 1 medium siutcase, and 1 carry-on-size suitcase), along with some soft items. Leaves more room in the cab for my wife and I to stretch out. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts