Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm CRAZY, I know!!

Here is my situation. I have a 94 toyota pickup with the 22re, It has 100k miles on it and is in amazing shape, aside from clear coat failure and some rust on the frame (all of which I can live with). The one thing I cant live with, is the amount of seating though. It is a standard cab with barely room for two, which makes it tough on my growing family.

Clarifications:
1. Yes I could just buy a new vehicle, but that cost money and no one will be willing to pay enough for me to go out and get a decent 4runner with similar miles and condition.

2. I know this is stupid.

Here is what I'm thinking:

(I LOVE 1st Gen 4runners, so the closer to that the better)

Cut out the back of the Cab, place a small bench seat in front of wheel wells, install roll bar over wheel wells and arrange appropriate seat belts.

Boom! I have a 4runner!

Here are my issues I am having a hard time resolving in my research. I would like a top of some kind to fit over the cab if need be. Softtopper.com makes a soft top for a 1st gen. Could that work? How would I create points to attach the top.

AND how could I compensate for lost structural integrity from cutting out back of cab and front of bed to make the truck open to the cab?

Resources:

This is how I could cover the new holes I would make to attach the top and keep everything dry inside. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cab-camper-shell-gap-14058.html

Softtopper- http://www.softopper.com/jeep-suv-tops/toyota-4runner

If anyone has any advice that would be awesome. I just cant get the idea out of my head.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Talk about going the long way round to get halfway to your destination... I'm going to go with your point #2 . By the time you get done even if you like the resulting vehicle, you'll have as much money into it (truck + mods) as just getting a 4runner and a hacked up truck worth scrap prices not 1/10th as safe as either a truck or 4runner is stock (which isn't terribly much if you look at the crash test ratings). Your family's lives aren't worth it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It would be cheaper, easier, safer, and better to find a 4Runner with a blown 22RE engine and put your good 22RE in it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
First of all I agree with the others...get a different vehicle.
My father-in-law had a "converted" F150 like you are describing . It was a disaster. If you insist on following through with the idea 1). Don't cut out the wall...remove the rear glass if you must, but that's it. 2). install a cap with a rear door instead of a tailgate/hatch.3). install a full roll cage with front and rear hoops and side impact bars...attached directly to the frame, not just the sheet metal floor.4). use 3 point seat belts bolted to the cage. 5). consider what type of heater/AC you will need and how to ventilate the rear to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning the kids.
or
Buy a 4Runner!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts