Toyota Nation Forum banner

Would you drive a convertible version of a 3rd gen Camry?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Soon2be Silver Slamry
2011 Toyota Camry LE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just starting this thread for sh?!s and giggles. I want to know if anyone has thought of ever having a convertible or even roadster version of their Camry. One of my friends says its the stupidest idea you can do to a Camry, while others say they would like to see it first before they judge. That being said, here is a crappy first draft I made while at work with MS Paint. (since I cant download good photo editing programs at work):hi:

Here is the Link http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a602/mrjroc89/untitled_zpscd4354fe.png

I made a coupe lowered and stock ride height version sitting on 17" Enkei EV5's. Please all opinions welcome good, bad, and funny ones too.

·
Soon2be Silver Slamry
2011 Toyota Camry LE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the car would lose all structural support. factory converts use additional bracing throughout to make up for being topless.
Yes, I know it would basically have no structural support, but if it were possible, do you like the way it looks? & Would you own and drive one.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I wouldn't like it.

Loads of classic convertibles out there, I just don't think the Camry body style fits that look, kinda like the Le Barron convertible, lol.

But to each his own, some liked the 1980 Cadillac Seville, I wasn't one of them :)

·
Administrator
14,388 Posts
That looks a lot better than I thought it would. While I like the idea of a ragtop, I would never own one as a DD. As a Sunday driver, maybe.

Reactions: MRJROC89

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I think a Gen3 coupe/convertable would be very slick. Forget the Le-Baron comparison, think more about the 3 Series BMW of the period. To bad it would take 2-3 hundred pounds of re-inforcing/custom made sub-frame joiners to keep it from flopping down on it's belly, and a budget big enough to buy a factory Solara Convertable. :)

·
Soon2be Silver Slamry
2011 Toyota Camry LE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks a lot better than I thought it would. While I like the idea of a ragtop, I would never own one as a DD. As a Sunday driver, maybe.
I agree wouldnt be a daily for me either. When I was drawing the concept I really imagined a hardtop convertible that would fold away and hide in the trunk like some mercedes' have. A ragtop would be a lot of work to maintain and from what ive seen they leak a lot.:rolleyes:

·
Soon2be Silver Slamry
2011 Toyota Camry LE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Silent Runner

I think a Gen3 coupe/convertable would be very slick. Forget the Le-Baron comparison, think more about the 3 Series BMW of the period. To bad it would take 2-3 hundred pounds of re-inforcing/custom made sub-frame joiners to keep it from flopping down on it's belly, and a budget big enough to buy a factory Solara Convertable. :)
This was my main concern to the idea too, all the additional, weight, reinforcement, and beefing up to the frame would need.

Oh well maybe if I hit the lottery I will try to build a convertible 5spd coupe. (yes I know in my dreams). For now I will continue with my budget build sedan and still be as happy as this guy ---> :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.