Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting Dash to LEDs XLE Auto Climate Control, Gear Shifter & Heated Seat Switches

So one thing leads to another and ends up with me spending more money. I just found out how to replace the backlight of one of my heated seat switches that burnt out and after seeing how easy it was to replace I looked at LEDS and learned about neo wedge type LEDs for dash board lights. So now I ordered a whole bunch from superbrightleds.com for my auto HVAC climate control, the XLE version with LCD screen and no dials, the floor gear shifter backlight and also the heated seat switches. I was going to pick blue LED’s but then I thought it would look kind of cheesy and ricer so I went with cool white which is like an HID color white. I think this will give me a high end classy look to the interior. I also think this will match the speedometer area lighting because I believe that those are all white LED’s behind the steering wheel dash area. I am also replacing the orange heated seat “on” light in the heated seat switches with red LED’s that turn on when the heated seat button is turned on.

I ordered:

3X 4mm Cool White Neo Wedge LED’s for the LCD backlight (regular powered not high-powered because it will over saturate the LCD screen. I noticed the regular 4mm bulbs output 5 lumens and the regular 3mm output 2 lumens so the regular 4mm are more than enough for the LCD backlight. 3X $1.29 = $3.87
10X 3mm Cool White Neo Wedge High-powered LED’s for all the buttons in the climate control dash piece. 10X $2.29 = $22.90
2X 3mm Cool White Neo Wedge High-powered LED’s for the backlight of the two heated seat switches. 2X $2.29 = $4.58
3mm Red Neo Wedge High-powered LED’s to replace the orange “on” area of the two heated seat switches. 2X $2.29 = $4.58
1X #74 LED High-powered Cool White for Floor Gear Shifter 1X $3.49

Sub-total: $39.42
Promo 5%: ($1.97)
Shipping: $6.00
Grand Total: $43.45

Here are some before pictures. I still need to take a before picture of the floor gear selector:

[ur

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
floor gear selector

This is a night shot of the floor gear selector before converting the bulbs to LED's. It's a #74 LED cool white color, like an HID color. This picture is not great because the color is off, the stock bulbs make a greenish color but the picture here look way too white.

Does anyone know how to access this #74 bulb?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installation Pictures of Dash LED Conversion

I did the installation of the LED's today. It isn't dark yet so I will post pictures later of how it looks but for now I will post pictures of the installation. It turns out the 3mm neo wedge bulbs from superbrightled.com are a little fatter/larger than the stock bulbs, not the 3mm base, but the other parts of the bulb, the cylinder part is fatter and the tip where the LED is has a hard time fitting through the holes so I had to file the openings for most to expand the holes a tiny bit to fit the new LED's. I used the edge of a drill bit to file the circuit board or plastic by hand. Getting to the floor gear selector's backlight bulb was a pain because I didn't know ahead of time what trim needed to be removed or how to remove it but now that I went through it, it will be a lot easier for others to get to the #74 bulb.

Back of HVAC

Inside of HVAC to get to three LCD back light bulbs

Three 4mm neo wedge LEDS for LCD backlight compared to stock green capped bulbs.

There are ALL the stock bulbs from the auto climate control dash piece, there are 12 total. Three 4mm bulbs for LCD backlight, Eight 3mm green capped bulbs (green bases) for buttons and one 3mm bulb (black base) with no green cap for emergency flashers button. I replaced all nine 3mm bulbs with 3mm neo wedge cool white high powered LED's and the three 4mm LCD backlight bulbs with 4mm neo wedged regular power LED's from superbrightleds.com

To get to gear selector backlight, this was a pain but now that I did it, it will be easier for others, carefully pry up both sides of this trim piece.

Same thing as other side, pry up both sides then remove whole trim piece.

Pull up the whole trim piece after pry up both sides to release clips.

Release two clips on each side to get under the gear shifter. Total of four clips, this is why the whole trim piece above it must me removed in order to get to these clips, two on each side of the gear shifter.

There's the bulb, hidden down there.

I carefully used needle nose pillars to pull out the #74 bulb. I needed to be very gentle so I didn't break the glass bulb.

New high powered cool white #74 LED installed!

NEXT: Heated seat button fully removed.

The stupid LED's where a little fatter than the stock bulbs so I had to file the edges of the holes with a drill bit BY HAND to open of the holes slightly to fit the LED's into the holes.

That's it for the installation, hopefully is will help someone in future. When it gets dark in a little bit I will take some pictures and post the finished product.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry.
55 Posts
This is very helpful, I was looking for something on this myself. The bulb in my climate control went out on the left side and it was really bothering me, I wasnt sure how to replace it or if I could.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures of LED dash bulbs conversion

Here are the after pictures, the HVAC looks amazing with the white LED's especially the backlighting of the LCD. It really makes the interior feel like a luxury car.

before pic for side by side comparison:

LED's in heated seat switches but they seem kind of dim because the LEDS are firing up from the bottom but the front of the switch is on the side of the LED so that's why a regular bulb is better, a 90 degree LED is really needed here but this application is too small for something like that so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the LED's in there.

·
Press hard, four copies!
2004 Camry LE Ltd Ed
989 Posts
Looks a lot better than the green, but is it so bright as to be distracting at night?

THANK YOU for the pick on the shift console. I need to change mine and now I know how to get at the bugger!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope not too bright to be distracting at all. It's just much crisper and sharper which is a pleasure to look at. If I used the high powered for the LCD backlight it may have been too bright as the 4mm regular power are perfect for the back light.

About the shift console bulb, good I'm glad you will be able use what I posted to help out! That thing was a pain to get to, it was buried deep!!

·
Press hard, four copies!
2004 Camry LE Ltd Ed
989 Posts
That bulb was a bitch to get out!

Wen I pulled up the console cover, there was massive amounts of hair, cookie crumbs, french fries, and some loose coins in there. Kinda like the iffy bazillion double quarter pounder with cheese wrappers stuffed under the seat. I think the ex-wife ate more in the car than at home past eight or nine years, judging by the mess!

There was also a dried out field mouse. Glad none of the wires got chewed up.

Vacuumed the heck out of it, cleaned everything real well, replaced the bulb with a green three head 718 LED I had left over from the dash on one of my former motors, and viola!

Again, thanks!

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,853 Posts
Nice work.

I wonder if the auto-HVAC bulbs in my Solara and ES330 are type 74 bulbs too...

The green is getting kind of boring. Then again, I'd have to change the radio and dash lights too. Would make for a good spring project.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone, I really am satisfied on how the cool white looks. It really upgrades the interior's look and feel.

Hey Rob, have you swapped out the bulbs in the cluster for brighter LEDs?
Do you mean behind the steering wheel? If so, I believe those are already LED's that are soldered into the circuit boards but I would love to upgrade them to brighter LED's. The stock color is fine since they are LED's but now that by HVAC is brighter I would like to have behind the steering wheel a little brighter.

Looks great Rob and thanks for the detailed write up :) I am considering adding this to the sticky's.
Thank you and that would be great so more people can benefit from the write up and pictures even if they are not replacing with LED's it also helps just as much with just straight up replacing annoying burnt out dash bulbs with stock bulbs.

·
Press hard, four copies!
2004 Camry LE Ltd Ed
989 Posts
Thank you and that would be great so more people can benefit from the write up and pictures even if they are not replacing with LED's it also helps just as much with just straight up replacing annoying burnt out dash bulbs with stock bulbs.
Yup!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oo ok, looks like one bulb for two dials. The only thing I get concerned about with LED's is that they don't have as much of an light output angle as normal bulbs do. I almost had an issue with it in my climate control but there was enough light from the high powered version of the LED's to compensate for the smaller output angle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts