Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. I have a 93 v6xle with 90k on the odo, when driving on long trips I can hear the coolant bubbling in the resevoir. it is air coming out of the tube that comes from the radiator. any ideas on what this could mean? I also have an issue with the power steering fluid, its doo doo brown and the steering sometimes locks up during turns. how do I drain and replace this fluid? my haynes manual says nothing on this topic. thanks.:smokin:

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Have both your cooling system caps pressure tested, if one goes bad it will gradually loose coolant until it begins overheating and then it will boil the remaining coolant into the res. As for the power steering if the fluid is that nasty you may have trashed your entire system, take it to a shop and have them flush it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good tip on the system caps, I shoulda checked that. its not losing coolant or overheating but I will check it out. I would rather try and change the steering fluid first before making any drastic decisions. how do I do this?

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I have a 93 V6 and I used to have that problem with coolant bubbling. It was air still trapped in the system. Purge. Getting all the air out is a sob.

If you coolant has oil in it or your engine oil looks milky, then I will agree to blown head gasket.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey

I have already done the head gaskets and the compression looks even across the charts. I should invest in a cyl leakdown tester or make one, that would be a better indicator of a head problem. the coolant and oil look good though. I learned the hard way to not take your heads to a machine shop where only one person speaks english, all they did was mixup my valve shims and spray paint everything silver. now I have pretty decent valvetrain noise and slight vibration. I have to also do a valve adjustment. I wish this was as easy as a honda. I will pressure test the cap and hope its bad. nobody has any tips on changing the steering fluid eh? thanks for the ideas. my father keeps insisting that its a thermostat causing the bubbling, i dont see how this is relevant. I will keep you guys informed on progress.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup, I always use toyota stuff down to the filter. coolant is toyota red and was completely drained and flushed while putting in the new water pump. I bought a hydrometer from pep boys for around a buck 25. i will put that to good use.

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
5spd V6 ClrTail said:
My Green fluid always ends up turning Rusty color, does anyone know what the problem might be?
Check the radiator. If the inside of it is rusted, theres your problem.

Also, the fluid always becomes low in the plastic reservoir. This is a 92 V6SE.
You either have a leak, burning coolant, cooling system not topped up properly, or a hole in the overflow reservoir.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow

88 LE said:
thanks for the link. much appreciated. I decided to do a partial teardown to find most of the valves clearances are out of spec and the cam bearing oil clearance is out of spec also. I'm going to adjust this using plastigauge and see if the valves still need adjusting. I hope not.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
Well, that wouldn't be the problem anyway

water has a lowe boiling point than the coolant
more water is actually better than more coolant when it comes to absorbing heat

and if it isn't the rad cap, then I'm saying a loeak in the rad- if not noticeable, then probalby in hte fins

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yup

Eye8Pussies said:
Well, that wouldn't be the problem anyway

water has a lowe boiling point than the coolant
more water is actually better than more coolant when it comes to absorbing heat

and if it isn't the rad cap, then I'm saying a loeak in the rad- if not noticeable, then probalby in hte fins
I know the cams have nothing to do with the coolant problem, its just another thing I'm working on at the same time. I have to get this thing road ready and quiet as toyota did back in the day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i would get a new radiator cap anyways (its only like 5 bucks)... if its boiling over its the cap... and their would be a pudle under the car if there was a leak

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.