Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a write up on changing your own Engine Coolant, with a few pictures. It is aimed at someone with very basic wrenching skills (but perhaps not a complete novice), so you veterans, please proof read for accuracy.

As always... some safety points first when working under a vehicle:

• ALWAYS make sure vehicle is either level, or if on ramps, will not roll towards you if something fails with brakes or wheel chocks
  • engage E-brake
  • chock at least 2 wheels to prevent rolling
  • rubber gloves are nice
Regarding the question: "Do you need to do this on a lift?" - no, I did this on the driveway (so if any antifreeze spills, could easily wash them off) but using the hose method described below, you can do it without spilling at all.

POISON WARNING: antifreeze contains Ethylene Glycol - only a few tablespoonfuls (30-50 mL) if ingested will kill you. Even less for pets & children. And of course as fate would have it, it is a sweet tasting substance. So if you spill any, your dog *will* lick it up. blot up any spills & then wash away any residue with copious amounts of water. Do NOT, I repeat NOT store old antifreeze in empty 2 litre pop bottles!! I work at a hospital - have seen several cases of poisonings. Grampa knew what was in the bottles- grandkids thought it was pink pop. Using my way, you can (with a funnel) pour the old antifreeze back into the OEM bottles & take to recyclers.

here is the supply list:

Tools
- 10mm socket to loosen Drain plugs on each side
- funnel
- Ratchet
- Extensions (I needed 2 - at least 12 inches or more is better)
- Universal joint for socket (driver's side)
- about 5 to 6 feet of 3/8" O.D. vinyl hose. Not thick, but clear, so can see when you have opened pet-cocks enough
- duct tape :lol: I've always wanted to include that in a write up - now I have!

Misc

- Ramps (optional)
- Mop bucket with graduations labelled
- small plastic container to catch drips when filling/draining
- Paper towels or rags
- Rubber gloves
- Wheel chocks

Consumables:
You will need about 7.4 litres of Toyota Super Long life coolant = 2 jugs. Part # C0009-00120-wa

Here is the coolant we use:

Tape some 3/8" O.D. line to a 14 litre bucket and position under truck:

Pop off the top button on the rubber flap so you can access & see the water jacket drains (done from wheel well:

You may want to pick up some more of these little suckers,, as they are kind of a one-time thingy:

Here is the water jacket drain we need to attach line to (access from wheel well) - passenger view:
(Note - if anyone is having trouble finding the drains, let me know. I can post up some more shots, of where they are on both sides.)

Using ratchet + extensions (like I said longer is better), loosen bolt bolt above drain spigot:

Here it is close up:

Using 10 mm socket + ratchet, open drain & begin letting engine block drain:

Drain both side of the water jacket. The driver's side sucks. You WILL need a universal socket to flex enough to reach
Then drain the rad. The drain for the rad is (of course) on the bottom.... of the rad. I didn't think I needed to post a pic. The pet-cock can be loosened by hand. And the 3/8" hose fits onto that as well!

When done, I had about 7 litres:

Here is old (on left) VS new (on right) coolant:

Don't forget to drain the overflow tank:

Refill untill rad is full:

And top up overflow tank:

take it up to 2000 - 2,500 RPM; get engine warmed up, turn heater to warm & fan to any setting but off. Run till fully warmed up. turn off. "burp" hoses by squeezing them. when engine cold, and no danger of coolant flash to steam, open & inspect. re-top off & repeat until no change.

Recycle your coolant

Canadians: Canadian Tire accepts old coolant

Geoff

·
My Other Truck
4,214 Posts
Excellent write-up, Geoff! Thanks for taking the time to document the job. :thumbsup:

The band-aid is a nice touch.... adds even more realism! :D

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^
I had a boo-boo :lol:

Forgot to mention 2 things.

This was factory coolant I drained out at 149,500 km (93437 miles) i.e first change. There is a little sticker near the rad that says to use Toyota Super Long Life coolant; first drain at 160,000 km (100000 miles) & then 100,000 km then after)

The yucky white at the bottom of the beaker on the left in the colour comparison shot? that was old dried Elmer's glue. The coolant came out clear.

G

Reactions: rlendio

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
Another great writeup!:thumbsup: I had mine done at the dealer in the 93K mile range! That's just scary right there!:ugh3: Now with a writeup, they just lost some more business. Who can resist doing it themselves after reading this? Not me.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Nicely done. I have always purged the system of air by running the engine with the radiator cap off. In your write up this wasn't specified......did you do the same? Is it done differently in our trucks than in old Chevys?

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. I followed the FSM to the T, and that's not how they do it.

Anyway, I drained on an incline - front facing up - so doubt any air lodged deep down in the innards.

G

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
This has been added to the DIY Sticky under Maintenance!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93275

Nice write up Geoff! :thumbsup: Dealership won't be getting my money for a coolant change! Now if only I could get you to come down and take care of my spark plugs! There is just something about the soft aluminium block and stripped threads that scares me! :lol:

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spark plugs - off topic

Dude, you totally can do the plugs yourself. I was pretty bummed the first time too. But I'm (ironically enough) off to get a set of 6 in a few minutes. I'm 10,000 Km overdue! :eek: kinda slipped by me with the move this summer...

Remember: only 90 degrees (1/4) turn from when you can't turn with finger or fuel line. No way you'll strip a block if your are careful & follow the DIY to a T.

I'll post a pic of what over-due spark plugs look like to my Spark plug DIY.

All else fails - I'll do them with ya next year at the Big Meet. Unless I'm too hammered, then you might not want me wrenching on your truck :lol:
Then "someone" we both know might use his "Ban Hammer" on me :lol:

cheers

Geoff

·
Tacoma Enthusiast
230 Posts
Excellent write-up, I'm coming up on 100k pretty soon and I know this is definitely on my list of things to do. Thanks!

·
Registered
09 Tacoma
435 Posts
Frequency of Changing Coolant

How often should you do this job? Whenever the freeze protection drops off? My cheapo anti freeze tester tells me I'm good to 20 degrees. I guess it's time...

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did my first one at 150,000 km pretty much. Sticker says good to 160,000 km. We see some cold here - never cracked a block so I guess it was still good. :lol:

Then after, 100,000 km (62,500 miles) so say every couple or three years?

G

·
Registered
2018 Highlander
84 Posts
Dante, is there a reason why you bought the Toyota Anti Freeze as opposed to one of the name brands, Prestone, Peak, etc.? I was thinking of doing my 05 Camry but as I remember the Toy. brand anti freeze was about $30 a gallon here in the US. Hard to believe it is any better or any different than the other brands...........except for being pink & pricey!

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
216 Posts
I did the coolant change two days ago. I have a nice set of wobble extensions from Harbor Freight and with the proper combinations, I was able to get to both engine block drains without removing any flaps from the wheel well.

I was also able to get a hose on the nipple to drain the block fluid.

It was a non event and the job went well with no hitches. I used the Toyota 50/50 mix because I really can't be sure what kind of antifreeze that Toyota pink stuff is. It is not worth taking a chance if any other fluid is non-compatible.

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@ 2005 Camrey: Checked my bill: $25 for 3.7 litres here (a little less than 1 gal.). Bet if you check again, you'll find it's not $30 down there. If it is.. wOOt Canadians paying LESS for auto parts than the US? what's next, cats sleeping with dogs?

Reason is for a "part" that I'm not going to change for another 100,000 km (& leave sitting in the block) do I ..really.. want to take a chance? Nope. The money I saved in DIY more than allows me to use OEM coolant & never give it a thought.
i.e. what Tacologist said.

cheers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any way you could show where the one on the driver's side is? I need to do this in a few thousand miles and gave it a look while I was changing out uniballs on my ucas this weekend but couldn't find the drains on the engine.

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^
sure.

Here's a view from the wheel well, looking above the tire - just for perspective:

The area we want is just back & behind the Right hand side of the UCA & brake lines - That's why I pulled away the flap you can see on the right for the next pic - but as posted by others if you have good extensions you may not have to pull the top of the flap away.

Here we zoom in to the drain:

look for it *forward* of your starter, and *under* the exhaust manifold.

A good LED pen-light helps here.

G

Reactions: macho999

·
Registered
2018 Highlander
84 Posts
Dante, I just checked. You're right on, the local Toy Dealer here in Maine sells it for $25/Gallon pre-mixed. They refer to it as "Liquid Gold"!

·
Take off, eh!
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:lol:

Well, they have to make money somehow what with all of you DIYers out there... ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts