Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
I don't know that I am due for a change, but I definitely need to pick up gallon to top off my system. My overflow reservior is low enough that I get a "sloshy gurgly" sound from behind the dash when I first start the motor cold, and the noise disappears as the engine warms. Almost positive it is due to low coolant and the noise I am hearing is the heater core filling....

My local dealership is charging $22 a gallon for the stuff...

·
Tacoma Enthusiast
230 Posts
The driver's side drain gave me the hardest time overall, I wish I would have just left that side alone. I didn't have any swivel extensions or anything like that on hand so I had to dig all throughout my garage until I found an extension that fit just right. A swivel extension would have made this job 1000x easier, oh well, still beats getting raped at the dealership and paying them to do it.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Just an FYI, for those that are wondering. I called my local dealership to ask if they top off coolant during an oil change (since they advertise that they top off all fluids). I was told they are supposed to. So I have a free coupon for an oil change so I am going to take it in and mention that I noticed it looks low...so hopefully no paying $22 a gallon for me!

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
I don't know that I am due for a change, but I definitely need to pick up gallon to top off my system. My overflow reservior is low enough that I get a "sloshy gurgly" sound from behind the dash when I first start the motor cold, and the noise disappears as the engine warms. Almost positive it is due to low coolant and the noise I am hearing is the heater core filling....

My local dealership is charging $22 a gallon for the stuff...
Let me know if your "gurgling" sound goes away. I posted a thread once asking about it. Mine's done it for at least 3 years now. I don't know if it would have done it before because it started when I moved to a house where I drive uphill in the mornings. Driving downhill, it doesn't do it. And it doesn't happen after just starting. It only happens after the 2nd stop sign within a mile from my house. I pull out of the garage and drive to the first stop sign which is level/downhill slightly. But the 2nd stop sign (half mile away) where I accelerate uphill after stopping, it does it every time the weather's cold. And I've had the coolant changed since it started years ago and it still does it the same as before. The amount of coolant in my reservoir makes no difference. I'm really curious to see if yours goes away. Good to know that I'm finally hearing of someone else who hears the same thing! FYI, I posted it here and on TW and not a single person was experiencing this!

Here's my old thread on TN:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325561

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
I will keep you guys updated! I am taking the truck in for an oil change (only because I have free coupon, I usually do it myself) on Monday or Tuesday next week.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Let me know if your "gurgling" sound goes away. I posted a thread once asking about it. Mine's done it for at least 3 years now. I don't know if it would have done it before because it started when I moved to a house where I drive uphill in the mornings. Driving downhill, it doesn't do it. And it doesn't happen after just starting. It only happens after the 2nd stop sign within a mile from my house. I pull out of the garage and drive to the first stop sign which is level/downhill slightly. But the 2nd stop sign (half mile away) where I accelerate uphill after stopping, it does it every time the weather's cold. And I've had the coolant changed since it started years ago and it still does it the same as before. The amount of coolant in my reservoir makes no difference. I'm really curious to see if yours goes away. Good to know that I'm finally hearing of someone else who hears the same thing! FYI, I posted it here and on TW and not a single person was experiencing this!

Here's my old thread on TN:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325561
Just wanted to update you on my gurgling sound Moose!

I took the truck in for my complimentary oil change (the only time my truck sees the dealership these days) last Monday. I made sure to mention that my coolant looked a bit low when the tech greeted me in the driveway. They completed the oil change and I made sure before I left to pop the hood and check to make sure that they did indeed top off my overflow reservoir (they did). I have now driven the truck for ten days, each time I start the truck I allow it to idle for a few minutes and listen for the gurgling behind the dash. The only time I have heard the gurgling noise behind the dash since topping off the coolant reservoir was the first cold start after the oil change. Since then my truck has been silent on start up. I did notice that the level of coolant in the top off reservoir has dropped about halfway between the full and low line. I will likely still need to purchase a gallon of coolant to have on hand to top off as nessecary in the future.

But, it appears in my case that the gurgling/flowing sound behind the dash was indeed due to low coolant!

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
Just wanted to update you on my gurgling sound Moose!

I took the truck in for my complimentary oil change (the only time my truck sees the dealership these days) last Monday. I made sure to mention that my coolant looked a bit low when the tech greeted me in the driveway. They completed the oil change and I made sure before I left to pop the hood and check to make sure that they did indeed top off my overflow reservoir (they did). I have now driven the truck for ten days, each time I start the truck I allow it to idle for a few minutes and listen for the gurgling behind the dash. The only time I have heard the gurgling noise behind the dash since topping off the coolant reservoir was the first cold start after the oil change. Since then my truck has been silent on start up. I did notice that the level of coolant in the top off reservoir has dropped about halfway between the full and low line. I will likely still need to purchase a gallon of coolant to have on hand to top off as nessecary in the future.

But, it appears in my case that the gurgling/flowing sound behind the dash was indeed due to low coolant!
Well that's good to know...I guess?:lol: I did find many others who've had the gurgling sound. Mine doesn't do it on startup, so maybe that was the difference between our situations? It usually happens accelerating uphill at a stop sign when the coolant is just being allowed into the heater core. These mornings when it's been 28 degrees outside, it never does it because I pass those uphill stop signs before the engine warms up at all. I've taken the cap off the radiator and it's completely full (same with the reservoir). I think it's just got air trapped in there that can't get out because it happened before and after the coolant drain/fill. And since it's been doing it for so many years without any loss of coolant whatsoever, I'm just attributing it as normal. I bet the trapped air is in the heater core and when parked overnight it works it's way to that high point in the lines going through the firewall. It's probably on the line coming into the cab. When the coolant circulates in, the air is likely being pushed back into the core and trapped there. Then at night, the cycle repeats. That's my theory anyway.

07 taco st cab 4x4
37 Posts
Just did mine 110 K miles but the 2.7 L 4 Cyl tacoma 2007 had one jacket / engine block valve located on the passenger side. About 1/2 gallon or so of coolant in that release valve.

hose was a tight fit, did it from under the truck, if the Oil Filter was out of the way it would help, but not necessary

10mm Socket on my extension combo of 1/2" and 3/8" drive, just enough, about 10lbs of torq to move it open

·
running with scissors...
2006 Tacoma 4X4 SR5
51 Posts
excellent DIY write up. I just finished doing the coolant change and everything went perfect. replaced upper and lower radiator hoses while I was at it. Not too bad a job if you have some time to kill. Thanks for the write up it saved me lots of money:thumbsup:

·
2010 Highlander
2 Posts
I am not having any luck finding the block drain plugs on my 2010 Highlander with the 2GR-FE V6. If anyone has some great photos and directions for locating these plugs, I'd appreciate it!

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Great write-up!!!

Just saw a couple of points:

On a lot of vehicles, you want to turn the temperature to hot (and maybe warm up the engine) before you drain the coolant. This ensures that the heater valve is open and the heater core will drain also. (My Focus doesn't have a heater valve and the Taco might not either, so this step might not be required).

You never said to close the drains or the radiator petcock before you told them to re-fill the radiator - just saying ...

Dante, is there a reason why you bought the Toyota Anti Freeze as opposed to one of the name brands, Prestone, Peak, etc.? I was thinking of doing my 05 Camry but as I remember the Toy. brand anti freeze was about $30 a gallon here in the US. Hard to believe it is any better or any different than the other brands...........except for being pink & pricey!
It is different - Prestone and Peak will have EHA (Dexcool) as an additive.

There are about four types of Antifreeze as I remember:

• Green - old school Ethylene Glycol with silicates and phosphates.
  • Yellow - HOAT - hybrid organic
  • Orange - Dexcool (EHA) - but yellow Prestone and Peak contain this also (and yes, both Prestone Dex-Cool and Prestone All-Makes contain this
  • Red - Toyota HOAT without silicates as I remember (but Motrocraft special dark green and Mazda and Honda blue would be compatible also).
It is recommended to use the correct type of coolant but Pentosin A1 or similar would probably be fine.

If you use the wrong kind, it is recommended not to mix them together - although I have done so before I knew better with no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
I am not having any luck finding the block drain plugs on my 2010 Highlander with the 2GR-FE V6. If anyone has some great photos and directions for locating these plugs, I'd appreciate it!

Wrong forum. You'll find the information in the 2nd Gen Highlander forum. Specifically, the coolant change DIY there has your answers:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/828482-diy-coolant-change-part-locations-comments-oh-thermostat-replacement.html

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Ford Quicklane (at least my local one) and most independent mechanics will for sure. Not sure about parts stores and bays. Pretty sure my local Wal-Mart does NOT ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question please

Hi, very awesome write up. I have the haynes repair manual, and they only show you a close up of what a engine drain plug. However they do not mention how many there are and provide pictures and details as you did. my question is that are there two on a 2011 6cyl 4.0 4WD 6SPD Trans.? I believe you showed two. one on the drivers and passenger side. While viewing a similar write up someone showed a engine block drain plug on the top, visible when you take the engine cover off. I believe that this particular write up was for a highlander. So is the total number of drains on the block 2 ?
Another question I have is today before doing the job and gathering the tools and such, while the engine was hot i noticed pressure in the upper rad. hose. Im wondering if this is what it is that I am supposed to feel when I burp the hose after adding new fluid.
Thanks a lot and great write up. I know feel a lot more confident in performing this job. Also do you have a page where you have done other write-ups on the tacoma.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valvoline Asian Coolant

Good demo . Will be changing coolant on my 2006 Tacoma , 10 yrs. or 100,000 Mi. whichever comes 1st. I hit the 10 yr. 1st . Want to let everyone know you can purchase the Valvoline Asian formula that matches the specs of the oem Toyota coolant . I purchased mine on the Walmart website for $ 8.19 per gal. I saved over three dollars on line .

·
Registered
09 Tacoma
435 Posts
How Much Are You Really Saving?

Good demo . Will be changing coolant on my 2006 Tacoma , 10 yrs. or 100,000 Mi. whichever comes 1st. I hit the 10 yr. 1st . Want to let everyone know you can purchase the Valvoline Asian formula that matches the specs of the oem Toyota coolant . I purchased mine on the Walmart website for $ 8.19 per gal. I saved over three dollars on line .
Maybe it matches the specs, maybe it doesn't. My 09 Tacoma V-6 has 219,000 miles and it still has the same water pump that came with it out of the factory. I have used Toyota brand pre-mix antifreeze exclusively. So, I gotta ask myself, is it worth it to save $25 every 50,000 miles? Nope, I'm sticking with the Toyota brand, even if Valvoline is giving theirs away.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts