Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1994 toyota camry XLE V6 and it has green coolant in it took it to two different shops and asked them what to do cause I've been told red or pink but been told by to shops that they didnt have red or pink in them back in the 90s and he looked at mine and smelled it and said its universal green to stick with that what is your opinions

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
Traditional green I think was used even earlier. Yours should be the red.

That said, some members have used the universal coolant and worked for years, so now I’m not as adamant in getting it out. your call on whether to change back if you need to rely on a shop.

If DIY, yeah cheap enough to convert back to red by flushing and use a concentrate to establish 50% mix. There are member write ups on that.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
The universal green stuff will work at keeping your engine cool and prevent it from freezing (and cracking the block). The downside is that if it not an "Asian" formula coolant, it may have chemicals in it that cause the water pump to fail sooner than if a silicate-free Asian coolant is used.

The Toyota OEM coolant was not green, but I don't know if you have an aftermarket Asian coolant (compatible with Toyota) that happens to be green.

·
Registered
63 Posts
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/incompatible-antifreeze-coolant-mixed-in.1652414/page-2
Greasymechtech: The last time I looked at the datasheets for the Prestone "colored" coolants, it was the SAME as their all-makes-all-models coolant.
http://prestone.com/products?detail=AF2000
Works with any color antifreeze
Protects your car or light-duty truck for up to 5 years or 150,000 miles
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/long-life-50-50/
Compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks
Yellow color will not change the current antifreeze color
Provides 150,000 miles or 5 years of maximum protection
So, Prestone Extended Life == Toyota == Honda
Prestone Extended Life label shows "Guaranteed for all vehicles American/Asian/European".

I also remember reading (cannot find it now) someone who said that if these long stated claims are wrong, they would have been sued a long time ago.

Last time I got Prestone Extended Life: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/5s-fe-gen4-timing-belt-water-pump-camshaft-seal-crankshaft-seal-oil-pump-seal-o-ring.1667831/#post-14149438

My plan is simply to drain & fill (including reservoir) every 3 years. A simple drain & fill wouldn't change what's in the engine block, hence 3 years instead of 5 years.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
So, Prestone Extended Life == Toyota == Honda
Prestone Extended Life label shows "Guaranteed for all vehicles American/Asian/European".

I also remember reading (cannot find it now) someone who said that if these long stated claims are wrong, they would have been sued a long time ago.
That is correct. However, as I pointed out above, Prestone and Peak (and others) also make coolants which are not compatible with Toyota and other Asian vehicles. I don't know how one can tell just by looking at the coolant or the color.

·
7,045 Posts
Reading label helps?
or, we need to complicate this beyond any reason? Any aftermarket manufacturer nowadays makes coolant compatible with pretty much anything, besides infamous Dexcool and even that they managed, as I had Silverado and used AM compatible coolant.
So you READ LABEL and choose whatever suits your fancy. Regardless of color.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
494 Posts
Look for labels that say silicate free.

I have a 200k Toyota motor which is full of a very fine sand, from someone using "universal green" in it for 25 years.

Aluminum blocks and radiators precipitate the silicate out as silicon dioxide, or sand. It takes years to accumulate but that's why Toyota's "Asian Red" was developed.

Norm

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,458 Posts
Walmart 5 year all vehicle green. Been using it for years in all my vehicles, North American, Japanese, Korean.

I buy the "must add water" kind and buy Walmart distilled water to mix 50/50.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,833 Posts
The peak green used to be super cheap, like $1 or $2 per jug. So I can afford to change it very frequently. If the deals stop coming in, I probably will convert to OEM stuff. The best deal were always at Pepboys for Thanksgiving. You asked at the most relevant time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Gotta use Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) antifreeze, any color will do (NEVER green!), added points for "no silicates" notice.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I am understanding all this stuff right:
There seems to be two type of the Peak Long Life. One is HOAT and the other is OAT. The OAT stuff has the 10X on the front. Both are green. The only difference is that the OAT one is speced to be used in European cars as well, and it may have replaced the one that doesn't have the 10X on it. Either that or more stores simply stock the OAT one with the 10X on it. Either one will work fine in your Camry. The HOAT one is the same as the pink stuff, just green.

My opinion: I prefer to use the same stuff in everything since I maintain 5 vehicles and don't want to keep up to 5 half used jugs of antifreeze that are really almost the same except a different color. That and I hate red/pink as an antifreeze color since it's the same color as other automotive fluids. As long as you flush out all the old stuff really good, you can put in anything else (even DexCool) and it should work just fine. It's if you want to mix stuff where you have to do your homework: Read labels to check for comparability and take a sample of your existing antifreeze and mix it in a jar with whatever new stuff you want to use and let it sit for at least several days to see if anything bad happens.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,833 Posts
I have a side question. I have been using the Peak for a long time. There is an interesting observation. The Peak coolant starts out to be neon green. But after a while, the neon green will fade. The coolant actually looks like water with a hint of green after about a year. Is this true for other users?

This year the super cheap Peak coolant deal at Pepboys is gone. After using up my stock pile of cheap coolant, I might go back to OEM Toyota coolant. I do use OEM Honda and Subaru coolant for my other cars and it is hassle to deal with all those half-full bottles. Those are actually pretty expensive. I think more than $25 each gallon.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I have a side question. I have been using the Peak for a long time. There is an interesting observation. The Peak coolant starts out to be neon green. But after a while, the neon green will fade. The coolant actually looks like water with a hint of green after about a year. Is this true for other users?

This year the super cheap Peak coolant deal at Pepboys is gone. After using up my stock pile of cheap coolant, I might go back to OEM Toyota coolant. I do use OEM Honda and Subaru coolant for my other cars and it is hassle to deal with all those half-full bottles. Those are actually pretty expensive. I think more than $25 each gallon.
Unless you have been using the Peak Asian formula coolant, and because this is a Toyota forum, not sure how many people would know the answer to that.

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
I read a test somewhere that Peak doesn’t protect very well. Let me try to find it.

I’d just flush it out and start with Red concentrate to re-establish 50% mix. Then just use Zerex Asian.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First, regarding color/brand, as Greasymechtech and SFCamry said in the thread I linked above, color does not matter. Here again: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/incompatible-antifreeze-coolant-mixed-in.1652414/post-14022582

But people keep thinking color matters, brand/OEM matters, etc. I am just as guilty, because even though I had every reason to believe that Super Tech ($7.88 50/50, $9.88 undiluted) works just fine, I still paid $1 more to get Prestone ($8.88 50/50, $10.87 undiluted) last time.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3510083/re-new-prestone-coolant-pics#Post3510083

By the way, for those who are also guilty like me (but more guilty?) and believe that color matters, Walmart also sells Valvoline Zerex Asian RED or Valvoline Zerex Asian BLUE for $12.48.

Second, the manual for my 97 Camry merely states: "With ethylene-glycol antifreeze (Do not use alcohol type.)"

Nothing about color or brand.

Third, Scotty Kilmer seemingly gave different answers to essentially the same question.

OP probably also asked Scotty Kilmer around 11/20, and on 11/22 Scotty Kilmer said if it's clean leave it alone. (It's interesting to observe Scotty Kilmer's Q&A backlog.)

But for essentially the same question, on 1/12 he said to change.

HOAT

To reconcile Scotty Kilmer's answers, the first question focused on color/brand, while the second focused on change interval (even though both were about unknown coolant in cars they just bought).

So, there is no need to change because of "wrong" color/brand, but do change if it may be old.

For example, if the previous owner says it's red because he got Toyota coolant from dealer 6 years ago, then you do want to drain & fill soon (and using Prestone/Peak/Super Tech should be perfectly fine). But if the previous owner says it's green because he has been doing drain & fill with Prestone every 3 years last done 1 year ago, then it should be fine without doing anything for a while.

Fourth, the coolant capacity for my I4 is 7.3 qt, and I used about 1 gallon with drain & fill last time. So each drain & fill replaces about 55%. If you do it twice (maybe a few hundred miles apart), about 80% will be new. You will be up to 91% the third time. This seems much easier than flushing and then trying to get back to 50/50.

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
The conclusion from this test was that Peak coolant sucks:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts