Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my Camry 2000 4 cyl. I want to do a coolant flush. It seems there are two drain plugs/cocks: one is at the bottom of the radiator and the second is at the rear of the engine block.

Do you guys remove the second one too i.e the engine block rear one? Is it supposed to be difficult to get at? Or will jacking up the rear end of the car (so that car points downhill) achieve the same results?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,266 Posts
Save yourself the hassle and mess and have a shop do it. I gave up doing my own flushes as it was just too much trouble for the return. Once you pay a shop about $70 to use their flush machine and get a thorough flush then just drain the rad once a year and refill with 50/50 pre-mix to keep the system clean and at proper ph.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i usually remove the thermostat housing and blast the garden hose through the upper hose to flush out the block =)

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Reach around the back of the block from the drivers side to get the plug. A little difficult but not too bad to get to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who responded. If I were to connect a clear plastic tube to the engine drain plug to guide the coolant to a bucket, how much diameter one should I use? Would it be 3/8" ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Or you could just drain the radiator, fill with distilled water couple times and keep draining until it runs clear--and then pour in full strength coolant. There is enough water in the block to mix with the coolant in the radiator to come out with a perfect mix (tested with a coolant tester).

If you add water with the method i described, you will dilute it too much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is remaining 4 qts of coolant?

Here is an update.

Put the front of the car on jack stands and drained the radiator first. That drained around 4 qts. Then drained through the 10 mm engine drain plug and not a single drop drained. Same results even after flushing twice.

Coolant system capacity is around 8 qts. Where is the remaining 4 qts ? Do I have sludge in the car ?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Can someone tells me where my drain plug (cooling) on my the engine block?

I can't locate my drain plug when I am facing front of the engine..and looking on the right side ...where I assume the drain plug is located? Is the drain plug locate near distributor or what?

what size of bold should I look for drain plug (cooling) on my the engine block? where?
my car 96 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what size of bold should I look for drain plug (cooling) on my the engine block? where?
Its a 10mm hex bolt and there is a small drain valve near it to which you can attach a vinyl plastic tube to drain the coolant (after loosening the hex bolt). On the camry 2000, it is to the rear nearer the driver side slightly.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
hello shet,

first sry to resurrect an old thread. need a confirmation though. I'm about to flush radiator soon in 2000 Solara (or Camry Solara as some named it).

Do you think it is OK to drain old coolant through the radiator drain plug only? you wrote opening drain plug on rear of the engine block didn't produce even 1 drop after flushing radiator. I think I will flush it with distilled water a couple times and then refill with Toyota's pink 50/50.

a dumb question. what do you do with old coolant? dump it into sewers?

thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@fenixus:
Don't know about the technical question, but in NJ (and in most states, I think), coolant dumping is illegal. Usually the nearest recycling center will have a hazardous waste section where you can give them the old anti-freeze for free (up to a limit, like 10 gallons). Or you can pay your nearest auto-parts store to do it for you (though some only accept motor oil).

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Quenizar, thanks for letting me know, you probably saved me a ticket ... although i've been living in states (different ones) for last 6 years, i'm still learning local rules and regulations LOL :D

you know, considering the problem with disposal and fact that i got no garage to perform the flush, i think i will bring it to the shop for cooling system flush ... will be much easier and safer for everybody :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hello shet,

Do you think it is OK to drain old coolant through the radiator drain plug only? you wrote opening drain plug on rear of the engine block didn't produce even 1 drop after flushing radiator.

a dumb question. what do you do with old coolant? dump it into sewers?
Yes, its okay to drain only through drain plug at front. You may flush it 3-4 times with distilled water first before putting in new coolant. Thats what I did.

I live in NY and around my place garages/auto shops don't take used coolants. I had to wait for a few months before I could turn in the used coolant at the spring/fall recyling event held by the county.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Yes, its okay to drain only through drain plug at front. You may flush it 3-4 times with distilled water first before putting in new coolant. Thats what I did.

I live in NY and around my place garages/auto shops don't take used coolants. I had to wait for a few months before I could turn in the used coolant at the spring/fall recyling event held by the county.
thanks for info, shet!

sounds easy fairly enough. the only problem for me would be storing a few gallons of toxic liquid until it could be dropped off / turned in for recycling. I rent 1-bedroom apartment, no place to store things like this at all.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
thanks for info, shet!

sounds easy fairly enough. the only problem for me would be storing a few gallons of toxic liquid until it could be dropped off / turned in for recycling. I rent 1-bedroom apartment, no place to store things like this at all.

Ehh I don't wanna tick off the environmentalists or anything, but you can just dilute it good and spill it out on a driveway or something so it evaporates on a sunny day.

Hose it down for a while and your good. The stores only take oil around my area also.....

Just dont leave it outside unopened or your neighbor hood cats will be dead in a few days lol. :Bruce:

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
carsrus, I was considering something like that, but I live in apartments complex (3 storey blocks of flats), so i got no driveway, only a parking lot. I am pretty sure (with my luck) that in less than 10 minutes I would have firefighters and police on my neck ;)

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
thanks for the link, i will read it all. I wonder if NJ branches of Pep Boys, Firestone or perhaps Autozone or Advance Auto Parts are accepting containers with automotive fluids ... :headbang:

this is info on ECAR in NJ (oil waste management):
http://www.ecarcenter.org/nj/nj-fluids.htm

unfortunately it does not cover old coolant waste.

kegunder, from discussion thread you linked,it seems that WORST option is to dump it into the storm sewer:
" Do not pour antifreeze into storm sewer openings, sinkholes, or abandoned wells where they will directly pollute the water. "

when someone cannot bring it to recycling station (e.g. there is none around or they have a collection week once a year and you cannot store it), it seems that it's BETTER to flush it in toilet:
"The major components of antifreeze can be broken down by organisms in a sewage treatment plant. If your home is connected to a sanitary or municipal sewer system, household quantities of antifreeze can be flushed down the drain with plenty of water."

http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/housewaste/house/antifrze.htm

I emailed NJ ECAR agency on some localized guidelines, if their answer is pitiful I am going to flush it in toilet (this waste water goes through a treatment plant).

I am still planning on flushing radiator myself, because simply cannot afford bringing car into shop for professional service atm, sry, trying to save money on simple to-do things ... doing what i can myself at my ride.

and now back to subject... where exactly is that drain plug on the back of radiator ? what am i looking for ? someone take a picture please ? i don't want to unscrew something important :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts