Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 corolla.
6.9 Qt. capacity.

When I drain radiator and engine block, i get about a gallon. Where's the other 2.9 qts.?

I ran the car to get it warm, so the thermo opened... then turned it off, jumped under there and drained radiator and then engine block... i also had heat turned up. Now, there is still some liquid in the reservoir... but i dont think it's 2.9 qts... idk tho, maybe it is?

Any idea if I am missing something?... I have a Haynes, but did not do it their way (which was to remove thermo and use garden hose). Doing it their way, with a cold car, I got even less out of the engine block and heard alot of liquid sloshing around in the lower radiator hose.

TO sum up, I tried draining with car cold, and got a total of about a gallon. I added back a gallon of fresh pink fluid, turned car on, then tried again... I got more out of engine (as i said), BUT, it still totaled about a gallon (technically 16oz under 1 gallon).

If one drains engine (with thermo open), does that mean water pump is drained too?.. I forgot to check lower radiator hose to see if it had liquid in it.

I spent a couple hours reading threads here and studying up on the Haynes description for task, and I don't see anything that addresses issues I'm having.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,413 Posts
To get the coolant flushed, it takes a few cycles. Distilled water will dillute what's in the system each cycle. Also, are you draining on a level surface? I stopped after 2 cycles of distilled water. With distilled water, you'd want to use the concentrate coolant rather than 50/50. The concentrate will mix with the distilled water that's been left behind from the previous cycles of drain and fill.

Here's a diy from the 9th gen Corolla. This is a guide to reference.

Reactions: qb7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To get the coolant flushed, it takes a few cycles. Distilled water will dillute what's in the system each cycle. Also, are you draining on a level surface? I stopped after 2 cycles of distilled water. With distilled water, you'd want to use the concentrate coolant rather than 50/50. The concentrate will mix with the distilled water that's been left behind from the previous cycles of drain and fill.

Here's a diy from the 9th gen Corolla. This is a guide to reference.

Thank you so much mate. I will check this in a bit.

Yeah, I kinda got the feeling that liquid is always left in system, i suppose unless i have some kind of pump thing that real mechanics use. I've been avoiding distilled water (tho I brewed up enough to do the job), as my car is supposed to use the Super Long Life premixed stuff; and water leftover will mess up 50/50. That's why I concluded that if i really want to flush it, the only option is using coolant itself.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I suggest removing the thermostat if you want to get a full drain. It’s super easy to do and you will get a decent amount of coolant from behind it. It’s possible the thermostat closed before the block was fully drained last time.
The cooling system on these is super simple, the only other thing to do would be to blow the heater out with a little compressed air.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a shop vac and suck it out any opening, also take a hose off the heater or possibly a bypass hose on the engine....I usually get it all out. There should be 2 block drains on front and back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts