Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way past my time to drain and fill the radiator coolant again... 255,000mi. (did it around 100,000mi)
but, i've been looking at the youtube videos, seeing different types of drain and fill techniques.

my intention is to drain and fill with distilled water, cycle it... drain and fill distilled water again...
drain and then refill with our correct coolant and be finished.

But, does adding baking power to the 1st distilled water (for cleaning purpose) sound like a risk for our 1gr-fe?
I do think that the adding of some vinegar might be too much...

there's no shortage of radiator flushing ideas out there in youtube-land.

has anyone here, done anything similar before?

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Sport
185 Posts
Never heard of flushing an automotive cooling system with vinegar and/or baking soda. I guess I would have to do some research but on the surface, it seems too risky. Because what's the reward, making things cleaner?

Personally, I would stick to a mix of distilled water and coolant - nothing else.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
176 Posts
Drain the old coolant - because the anti-corrosive additives and lubricants have probably stopped working optimally - and refill with fresh Toyota Pink coolant. Don't be too shocked it your coolant pump starts leaking because you may have already damaged it. Unless you are trying to flush out a blockage there is no need to add anything else, you are much more likely to do more harm than good.

·
イリジウム
11,765 Posts
Right, besides, the Pink is 50% prediluted. The remaining water in the system will further dilute it and make it less able to stop corrosion, not to mention boiling point.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to pick a number, if I get 8.4 of the 10.4 quarts of the full coolant to drain?
then refilling and draining twice using distilled water...
that would leave 2 quarts remaining of distilled water (unable to drain it all). I would then first add 2 quarts of concentrated coolant mixing it with the distilled water making 4 quarts of 50/50 mix... then adding 50/50 mix and burping the system until full, and done.

the real question was about using vinegar or baking soda (stuff I have seen on YouTube) as an additional cleaner. in with the first fill of distilled water. Unknown if there is any blockage, as I am unable to make myself smaller and go swimming around in the system to look...

the question was to anyone who has already done such?...

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
- shouldn't be any need to flush the system unless it was abused (someone ran straight tap water in it)
- if you feel you must, cycle some distilled through it 2 or 3 times

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Don't add chemicals to your cooling system, unless you want to destroy it.

Did you use pink antifreeze before? If so, just drain/refill the radiator and overflow bottle and keep driving. Repeat again next year to increase the amount of new antifreeze. Stick with Asian/pink/equivalent coolant. Don't be that negligent or foolish again.

Don't even run any distilled water flushing shenanigans. Toyota doesn't sell pink in a concentrate to make up for residual water left behind.

Drain/refill/drive/repeat is all you need for newer Asian coolants. They don't have any silicates to crud up a system and many last 150k.
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-asian-vehicle-antifreeze-coolant
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/oet-asian-vehicle-extended-life-redpink/
http://www.oemantifreeze.com/oem-pink/
https://www.beckarnley.com/parts/fluids/antifreeze-coolant/extended-life-pink.html
http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_A4.pdf
https://www.aisinaftermarket.com/english/products/25.html

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
To get the most old coolant out of it, you can open the block drains as well as remove the thermostat. Remove a heater hose going in to the heater core, and run water through with a hose, tap water OK. Let it all drain out of the block and radiator. If you are worried about a little tap water in the heater core, you can pull the other heater hose off and get most of it out.
Some shops have flushing machines, they have to pay for those and sell a coolant flush as a serrvice. I doubt they use distilled water for flushing and many use a "universal" type coolant pumped out of a 55 gallon drum to refill the system. Often, an actual flush is not necessary.
If your system is contaminated with stop leak or, lots of corrosion, you may want to drain it, fill it with water and a flushing agent like BG. Then drain, flush with water, drain etc etc. However, excessive stop leak or, corrosion is pretty much impossible to remove.
If the coolant you initially drain out looks reasonably clean and not contaminated, just drain as much as you can and refill with the correct coolant.
The most important thing is to use the correct coolant for your vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,554 Posts
Years ago Mercedes-Benz had a powder-like product they used to clean out calcified systems. I would not bother with any powder or vinegar.
Also, rinsing with distilled water only is not needed. You can use your garden hose. I say this assuming you have both block drains open and you should if you are doing a flush.

If you are using full strength coolant, then you would mix 1/2 coolant and 1/2 distilled water for the final fill. Like others have said above, the pre-mixed product already comes with a 50/50 mix and as far as I know, all of the "pink" stuff, both OEM and aftermarket comes pre-mixed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
No need for distilled water, flushing or cleaners.

a) Drain old coolant
b) measure the amount drained
c) make sure the same amount of new Toyota Pink Long Life antifreeze is reinstalled.

If only radiator was drained and refilled then repeat steps a,b,c once a year. If both engine block and radiator was drained and refilled then repeat steps a,b,c every 2-3 years.

If engine temp gauge reads higher than it did when truck was new - even after changing the coolant - then the radiator is partially clogged internally due to mineral deposit buildups caused by the owners use of aftermarket antifreezes and/or tap water. Only fully effective solution is a new radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts