Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - quick question.. I don't have my manual so that's why I'm asking here.. Popped the hood of my car and saw there is really very little coolant in the container - what level should I fill it to and also what type of coolant is good for a 2000 camry i4

Thanks -

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,125 Posts
It all depends on what coolant is in there to begin with.

If it is the stock RED (not pink) coolant, you will need to go to the dealer and pay (there was just a thread about the price of it- 7-20 bucks for a gallon) for the toyota-red coolant. I don't think anyone makes red coolant that is compatible with it- someone said Prestone Import coolant- but I couldn't find it in red.

I could be wrong, maybe someone else can give info on aftermarket coolant compatibility.

As for the level of coolant, it should be clearly marked on the bottle. I'm pretty sure that you should fill it when the engine is cold.

Something to think about-- if the level is low- when was the last time the system was flushed? It may be time to replace the coolant anyway, depending on miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's like a pinkish and there is like hardly any left in the container and I'm wondering what to do.. what brand I should get for my 2000 camry and what level to keep it at for this time of year..?

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,125 Posts
Toyota brand coolant looks pinkish when it is too diluted or is low. They sell replacement fluid at the dealer for somewhere between 8 and 20 bucks. The last time I bought it, it was in a black jug marked TOYOTA RED COOLANT.

There should be 2 words/lines on the coolant bottle: LOW and FULL.

When the engine is cold, fill it to the full mark. (don't do it when the engine is hot, because the water will expand when it cools, and will overflow.)

Make sure you follow the directions on the Coolant bottle, you may need to mix it with distilled water.

Keep in mind that you may want to flush the whole system soon. I think Toyota recommends that you flush the radiator every 2 years or 30K miles or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts