Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed an antifreeze leak on the front driver side of the engine. It appears to be leaking from the engine block in the area of the hose. I wish I knew how to post a photo to show exactly where, but I dont. I am wondering what the replacement process looks like for that gasket. To try and paint a picture,it looks like the hose connects to where the thermostat is housed, and behind that is where the leak is, but not at the thermostat. ????????????IDK, I am new to the T100's and am having a hard time knowing where everything is. Anyways, ANY help is much appreciated.
Thanks, Joe.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
How to post piccies... ;)

The only gasket on that part is the rubber gasket that is on the thermostat. AutoZone has it fer about $3. Have you removed the inlet nozzle and took a peek at the gasket?

Piccies really will help here... ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I hope these pics are of some use. Let me know what you think or if you need any other photos, now that i know how. Thanks again!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Yes..that's where the thermostat is.

How many miles do you have on the engine? When was the last time you had the timing belt changed? Did you replace the water pump at the same time?

It looks like the water pump gasket is failing? Are you sure the coolant isn't leaking from on top of the engine? An area where coolant can leak from is the coolant bypass tube which is under the air plenum. Check all yer hoses on top including the hoses going into the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes..that's where the thermostat is.

How many miles do you have on the engine? When was the last time you had the timing belt changed? Did you replace the water pump at the same time?

It looks like the water pump gasket is failing? Are you sure the coolant isn't leaking from on top of the engine? An area where coolant can leak from is the coolant bypass tube which is under the air plenum. Check all yer hoses on top including the hoses going into the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. ;)
I have 157,00 miles. I got it about 6 months ago and have no record from the previous owner for a timing belt replacement. I haven't got too deep in the search for the leak because i noticed the coolant in the picture right away. Next weekend I am actually going to rip off the air plenum to change the valve cover gaskets(oil leak). I also plan on doing a lot of cleaning to everything i pull off. I just wanted to know what to do with the coolant leak before i dove into it, so i could hopefully knock it out at the same time.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
As a quick check, you should be able to pull the timing cover off and inspect the timing belt area fer coolant contamination. If the water pump dribble hole has any coolant showing, it's time to change that along with the timing belt, front seals, tensioner, and idler roller.

You might want to check/replace the coolant bypass gasket since yer gonna have that air plenum off. ;)

Reactions: joseph.swaleh

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
It's a dealer part only. It doesn't show the gasket in this piccie from www.toyodiy.com but you can see the bypass pipe in the middle of the piccie...item 16268. I believe this pipe provides the coolant to the heater core... ;)

I guess you could pressure test the cooling system and see where it's leaking from. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
If it's not leaking from up on top...I'm still gonna guess it's coming from between the water pump and engine block.

The water pump gasket will require you to basically pull the timing belt and water pump out to replace that gasket. If that's the case...I'd be looking at doing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler roller, front seals since everything is gonna be accessible. :D

If it's due to money, it's a lot of labor just to replace that gasket. Replace the water pump at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much Bam. I won't have time to start working on the truck until this coming weekend, but sure feel more apt to take it on now. Thanks a lot for your help.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
You have a PM... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts