Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'90 4-Runner 4X4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I finally solved brake fluid leaks in my old 4-Runner, coolant was the next thing leaking.

It didn't take too long to diagnose the coolant leak, but the first symptom came up before I was aware of a leak. The symptom was when the engine was cold and I came to a stop the idle would surge between 2,000 rpm roughly. I was not aware of why the engine was doing this until after 2 days I noticed a small pool of coolant from underneath the vehicle.

It wasn't a blown hose or even leaking with pressure in the cooling system while the engine was running.....it was just dripping intermittently. I finally found where the drip was coming from (for the most part) and replaced the water pump. Problem solved.

A couple days later I noticed coolant leaking again....not bad but dripping into small pools once again. This turned out to be the upper radiator hose where it clamps on to the radiator. Good for a few more days and then another leak appears and is coolant dripping onto the exhaust crossover pipe shield making an awful smelling smoky steam.

This here has become a real pesky problem....for weeks now. The problem is the leak is near impossible to trace as it's between the firewall and the rear of the engine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

There is no way to see where the drip is coming from as it is in a very tight space with hoses going all over the place back there. From underneath you can see nothing, from above you can see just the same.....Nothing!

Without removing the engine, or at least the plenum you cannot see where the drip is coming from, even using mirrors and lights.....or my Samsung Galaxy S4 on a telescopic stick!!!

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated......thanks.

·
Registered
'90 4-Runner 4X4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finally....no more leaks!

Problem solved once again after several weeks of observation and several gallons of liquids replaced.

It turned out being a pinhole in the small U-shaped heater hose that is attached to the rear of the intake manifold. I had to remove the plenum to finally pinpoint the leak and access the hose for replacement which was still nearly impossible...seriously!

I hope this helps others (the proud owners) with the same problems of these old pieces of JUNK :chug:

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I'm sure it will help someone in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts