Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my coolant and its near the low level when cold. It has about 90,000 miles on it. I can't find any leaks. I have never filled or changed the coolant before. Is this normal, or should I be looking for a leak?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
What is the level when it is HOT?

Is this the first time you checked it?

This sounds like the epitome of NORMAL.

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
dont know how long you have had the truck, or the last time you changed the coolant, but water does evaporate...

also, the toyota coolant leaves a light red residue at the leak paths, thats the one good thing about it. so look for a chalky pink residue at the leak paths, if you dont find any...then add a little deionized water and call it a day..

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I hit 15k I did most of the service myself and took it in to the dealer for the rest/an inspection. While doing my part, I noticed my coolant was low - about halfway between at temp. I know coolant does evaporate over time, but I was a little surprised at the level given how much I've driven and the supposed life of the coolant, so when I took it in I asked specifically about it. They didn't find any leaks and said from what they'd seen on this newer gen it was pretty normal. If you didn't see any leaks yourself, and it wasn't a rapid loss, I'd say you're fine - top it off and keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Looks very normal. If you had a leak, it would probably be empty.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine does a disappearing act, and has done so since the truck was new. I just top it off now and then. I've been all over that engine and can't find any leaks. I think that it just evaporates somewhat.
The only complaint is that I top it off with the Toyota brand pink antifreeze, and the dealer charges $25 a gallon for it. Kinda pricey, you know.
I just bought one gallon, and still have 3/4 of it in the bottle.

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
Is there anything special about that pinl antifreeze or can the plain old green stuff mix with it I wondered as mine shows about like the pics.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mine has just done the same thing in not quite 50,000 miles. I just added some of the pink 50/50 fluid from Toyota. I can only see leaking from the top of the tank where the overflow goes in from the cap. It looks like yours has some residue there too. I've been meaning to put some silicon in there but at the rate it leaks I haven't been real motivated.

·
Georgia
1,197 Posts
Is there anything special about that pinl antifreeze or can the plain old green stuff mix with it I wondered as mine shows about like the pics.
Toyota Pink is Super Long Life coolant good for 100K miles. It is NOT compatible with other coolants. Your "plain old green stuff' is probably Dexcool, completely different chemistry.

If you change coolants from TSSL to anything else, make sure to completely flush the system. Different coolant to always play nice together. Do some research before you do so. Some coolants will eat hoses/seals/radiators if not designed specifically for them.

Otherwise, use ONLY Toyota SLL pink coolant with it. It is not available as concentrate, only in 50/50 solution. Toyota's old Red Long Life coolant is good for 30K and is NOT compatible with SLL.

Peak Global coolant might be compatible with Toyota Pink Super Long Life, but other than a couple of people mentioning on the internet, I have not read anything to this effect.

If it were me, I'd drain the radiator at 60K or so and refill it with Toyota Pink Super Long Life. This way you get some fresh chemicals in there, but you do not have to go to the dealer to do a complete coolant flush.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...90#Post1427990

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...gonew=1#UNREAD

Enjoy the threads!

·
Lets Do It!
66 Posts
Mine does a disappearing act, and has done so since the truck was new. I just top it off now and then. I've been all over that engine and can't find any leaks. I think that it just evaporates somewhat.
The only complaint is that I top it off with the Toyota brand pink antifreeze, and the dealer charges $25 a gallon for it. Kinda pricey, you know.
I just bought one gallon, and still have 3/4 of it in the bottle.
Check your cap. We seem to have pretty weak caps that like to leak it seems, TRD makes a cap for our trucks that have a higher PSI rating and seems to work better, or you can always find a good one at Autozone, etc.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Toyota Pink is Super Long Life coolant good for 100K miles. It is NOT compatible with other coolants. Your "plain old green stuff' is probably Dexcool, completely different chemistry.
Dexcool (ethylene glycol) is another specialized coolant from GM that's orange, not green. Green is the plain stuff sold everywhere (propylene glycol), and you're right that none of the three are compatible. :)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us120426.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Da-da make a big no-no?

Dexcool (ethylene glycol) is another specialized coolant from GM that's orange, not green. Green is the plain stuff sold everywhere (propylene glycol), and you're right that none of the three are compatible. :)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us120426.htm
I just topped off my wife's '01 3.4L 4Runner and my '06 4.0L Tacoma with Prestone's "50/50 Pre-diluted Extended Life" coolant. It's orange/pinkish like the coolant in our Toyotas. The 4Runner's resevior was completely empty and my Tacoma's was at the "Low" line (both radiators were full).

Did I just do a big no-no? Do I need to flush both systems now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just topped off my wife's '01 3.4L 4Runner and my '06 4.0L Tacoma with Prestone's "50/50 Pre-diluted Extended Life" coolant. It's orange/pinkish like the coolant in our Toyotas. The 4Runner's resevior was completely empty and my Tacoma's was at the "Low" line (both radiators were full). Did I just do a big no-no? Do I need to flush both systems now?
You can't go just by the color. Prestone's site says (assuming I'm looking at the same thing you bought) that mix is a universal and should work. *shrug*

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
I just use the OEM Toyota fluid. It's only like $3 - $4 more per gallon. Considering I paid thousands more for my Tacoma versus a Chev Colorado or Ford Ranger - whats another $4 for a gallon of coolant?:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts