Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 2005 Camry, with 14,000 miles, keeps loosing coolant. When the car was new the overflow tank was at the full mark. Over time it kept getting lower and I marked the tank and recorded the date and miles. At about 7,900 miles (April '06) it was midway between full and low. Took the car to the dealer with the info as to date and miles and showed them the markings on the tank. They did a pressure test and stated they could not find any leaks and refilled the tank. Now at 14,000 miles it is about one quarter down from the full mark. I believe my next step is an oil analysis. I have the Blackstone kit and hopefully this will show if any coolant is in the oil.

I have a 2007 Camry I4 and when new the coolant was at the full mark and now at 3,600 miles it is about 1/8 inch below the full mark. Is this mormal?

Has anyone with a newer Camry I4 noticed any coolant level reduction in their cars? Is this normal that the coolant level drops after a period of time/miles and has to be refilled? I was under the impression the coolant systems are somewhat sealed and the only way coolant would be lost is either a leak in the system or a head gasket issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
First of all, your 05 with 14,000 miles is still under warranty. I would take it back to the dealer again and make them aware of it. If nothing else comes of it, you will have it noted by Toyota again while you are still under the 3 year warranty period.

As far as the coolant level, it made drop just a bit from time to time. The overflow tanks are not completely air tight and some slight evaporation will occur. I had a 98 Camry that would lose a little bit of coolant around the overflow tank cap as the coolant sloshed back and forth inside the tank. You could see the pinkish residue there. I never really worried about it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
If the car is under warranty take it to the dealer. The dealer can pressure test the coolant system and also check the coolant for exhaust gases from a blown head gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts