Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site... found you all through google!

I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup, and currently I am loosing a little bit of coolant (but don't know where from) and the truck is having trouble staying cool. I fill the coolant back up, however it would still get super hot (not overheat though but a little too close for comfort). I stopped driving it for now and ordered a Helms manual for it.

After looking in the manual and researching the problem I came to the conclusion it could be the water pump and or thermostat. Even though I replaced the thermostat about 5 months ago... Does this sound right? Has anyone had a similar situation?

Other questions...
Should I go through advance auto parts for the water pump, or is that a no no? I know advance's electrical stuff bites the big one so that is why I am asking.
Are there any good sites for stock Toyota parts?

Thanks for your help in advance any thing I missed please let me know!

-Mitchel

·
Registered
245 Posts
your thermostat is probably bad. You should look at your radiator cap and see if the gaskets are good.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Rex,

A few years ago, when I put a new thermostat in mine, I made the mistake of putting some silicone grease on the o-ring that seals the thermostat housing. After I got everything back together, it did not take more than a few weeks for that damned o-ring to squirm out of place and cause a leak.

I took the housing back off, cleaned up the grease, and put a new o-ring in there. End of problem.

Something along these lines may be the source of your coolant leak.

Good luck!

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outstanding... The 1st time I did the thermostat I noticed the o-ring was all chewed up; I wonder if it has happened again? I will look into this also, thank you digger1!

Any other tips?

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Rexinre said:
New to the site... found you all through google!
Me too! I've had my '94 2WD for a couple years, though. I'm the 3rd owner.

Rexinre said:
Thanks for your help in advance any thing I missed please let me know!
To check for leaks, pressurize the cooling system. Most radiator cap testers have adapters to pressure check the cooling system. If you don't have one, you should be able to borrow one from Autozone (technically, you buy it, and then get a refund whenever you bring it back - emphasis on whenever). You can then poke your head around the engine bay and look for the leak. If you do this on a cold engine, you won't have instant evaporation of the coolant making things harder to pinpoint. Take a look here for the procedures.

Don't discount the radiator. I had similar problems to yours. Even without the thermostat, engine was overheating.

You should be able to check operation of the water pump fairly simply. Once up to operating temperature (or without the thermostat :) ), and the engine running, pinch the return line (the top radiator hose). As you release the hose, you should be able to feel the water flow through the hose. If not, check or change the thermostat. If the thermostat is OK, it's the water pump (or, rarely, a completely clogged radiator).

If you've got flow, the Thermostat's fine, the pump's fine, and the only thing left is the radiator.

If you do change the radiator, you might want to go for the 4x4's radiator - it's a bit bigger. If you have an automatic transmission, that requires a radiator with a built in transmission cooler - usually all accounted for when you chat with the counterperson.

Good luck!

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arved said:
Me too! I've had my '94 2WD for a couple years, though. I'm the 3rd owner.

To check for leaks, pressurize the cooling system. Most radiator cap testers have adapters to pressure check the cooling system. If you don't have one, you should be able to borrow one from Autozone (technically, you buy it, and then get a refund whenever you bring it back - emphasis on whenever). You can then poke your head around the engine bay and look for the leak. If you do this on a cold engine, you won't have instant evaporation of the coolant making things harder to pinpoint. Take a look here for the procedures.

Don't discount the radiator. I had similar problems to yours. Even without the thermostat, engine was overheating.

You should be able to check operation of the water pump fairly simply. Once up to operating temperature (or without the thermostat :) ), and the engine running, pinch the return line (the top radiator hose). As you release the hose, you should be able to feel the water flow through the hose. If not, check or change the thermostat. If the thermostat is OK, it's the water pump (or, rarely, a completely clogged radiator).

If you've got flow, the Thermostat's fine, the pump's fine, and the only thing left is the radiator.

If you do change the radiator, you might want to go for the 4x4's radiator - it's a bit bigger. If you have an automatic transmission, that requires a radiator with a built in transmission cooler - usually all accounted for when you chat with the counterperson.

Good luck!
The radiator is about 9 months old, so I am hoping it isn't that. lol I do have a 4x4 so I am hoping its a bigger radiator then the stock 2x4 one. I will take pictures and post them up when I do the work so everyone can see :) . It is a manual so I don't have to worry about the tranny cooler.

I did pinch the hose while it was hot, however, I didn't feel the water flowing through the hose like the book (and you) said. Also, the hose was super hard to pinch, had to use both hands to do it... is this normal?

Ok, here is another twist... The last 2 times I drove the truck I smelt gas, like someone dumped gas all over the motor :disappoin . I am wondering if an injector came out or broke free and is dumping fuel all over the back side of the motor. Needless to say I have been driving my wife's car just to play it on the safe side.

My wife is on maternity leave from work so I am fortunate enough that I don't have to take out my turbo car in the snow. :cool:

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Rexinre said:
My wife is on maternity leave ...
Congratulations! :clap:

Rexinre said:
The radiator is about 9 months old, so I am hoping it isn't that. lol I do have a 4x4 so I am hoping its a bigger radiator then the stock 2x4 one. I will take pictures and post them up when I do the work so everyone can see :) . It is a manual so I don't have to worry about the tranny cooler.
Unless something's gone seriously wrong, it shouldn't then. On all my cars, I seem to be averaging 5 years for a radiator, even with religious maintenance. Florida is bruital on radiators, it seems.

I'm not sure, but I believe the difference in radiator capacity is that the 2wd radiator has two rows of cooling tubes (one behind the other) and the 4wd has a third row. Just look down the radiator fill tube with the cap off.

Rexinre said:
I did pinch the hose while it was hot, however, I didn't feel the water flowing through the hose like the book (and you) said.
Check the thermostat. I like going for the cheap fixes first. It's either the thermostat sticking, or the water pump, and I'd rather replace the thermostat and find it's the pump, than to replace the pump, and find it's the thermostat.

If you do replace the water pump, be sure to paint the pump, inside and out, to protect against corrosion. Picked that tip on the "Shade Tree Mechanic" show back when I had cable. I use an aluminum (colored) engine paint.

Rexinre said:
Also, the hose was super hard to pinch, had to use both hands to do it... is this normal?
Well, you do have to overcome the normal system pressure. I think the radiator cap limits pressure to 12 psi or something like that. How old are your hoses? I generally replace belts and hoses about every 3 years, but again, I live in Florida heat, which is hard on cooling systems, and replacing these things is cheap insurance. Actually, I try not to reuse belts. If I have to remove it for some reason, it gets replaced with new.

Rexinre said:
Ok, here is another twist... The last 2 times I drove the truck I smelt gas, like someone dumped gas all over the motor :disappoin . I am wondering if an injector came out or broke free and is dumping fuel all over the back side of the motor. Needless to say I have been driving my wife's car just to play it on the safe side.
I'd say it's unrelated to the overheating problem, but definately more important. You don't want to risk a fire. (Un)Fortunately, I've never had a problem with the EFI, so I can't help you. I suggest starting another thread.

HTH,

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
subliminaltrips said:
what part of fl arved?
Orange Park. Suburb of Jacksonville. I've lived here 10 years. Previous to that, I lived in California (East San Francisco Bay Area).

Ocala's a nice area. I've only been through there a couple of times, but it looks to be a nice community. How'd you weather our hurricanes?

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the problem... My gas tank bracket has a pinhole and was spewing gas all over the place. I dropped the gas tank and now are waiting for the part. I think this was the cause for my overheating... truck was running lean.

I called Toyota and they wanted 198$ for the bracket... good god that is a load of money!

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Rexinre said:
I called Toyota and they wanted 198$ for the bracket... good god that is a load of money!
"Oh, what a feeling..."

I know what you mean. $160 for the speedometer sensor, and that's online.

I had an '84 Supra I got rid of 10 years ago. I think "Toyota" must be Japanese for "We'll get you at the parts counter." It's a good thing these cars and trucks are so reliable, because fixing them sure can get expensive!

At $200 for the bracket, I'd look at having it welded, and the pinhole leak in your tank patched.

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently I was reading on line and this is a common problem! I wonder if there is a recall for this at all... I will have to reasearch a little more and report back.

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is only one thing on the recall list for my truck, and that is the steering relay rod replacement.

Anyway, I wone the bid on ebay for 111 smacks.... here is the picture of the item...

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I have to take pictures of the truck still, but its been snowing/raining since the day I did the work.

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update, I fixed the fuel pump bracket and the thermostat. Now the truck is running great. Next thing I have to do to it is the front part of the e-brake.
Then the front brakes
And finally the windshield washer pump/tank... the whole thing is missing. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts