Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done a search and got this http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=18500&highlight=cooling+ducts and it told me nothing at all i even went to the site mentioned and still nothing.
how many of you guys notice that little scoop thing on your disc shield? mine is small too small to effectively do anything. did any or you guys remove them alltogether or trim them like i did when i added the 13inch rotors? i'm just asking this question cause the camry's brakes seem to get spongy and i did a full upgrade already:
new master cylinder,booster,hoses,calipers,pads,rotors,fluid. i even bought a new proportioning valve from the dealer.
the brakes just seem to heat up too fast and start fadding. so i figure as my next to last resort i would put in cooling ducts to assist them. any ideas?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
If I have 11.5" front rotors on a 3457lb ES 300 and can't heat the pads and rotors enough on purpose to heat soak them; there is no way that you, with a car that wieghs less, and has more mass in the breaks to soak more heat are running into heat soak.

Assuming all of the new parts are OK, the fluid is the only thing left. Closing note, I was boiling my dot3 cheap fluid a lot when I changed rotors and pads last time. I powerblead 5.1 fluid in and now that doesn't happen.

I say get off the dot 3 fluid and either flush in a top class dot 4, or flush in a good dot 5.1.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toysrme said:
If I have 11.5" front rotors on a 3457lb ES 300 and can't heat the pads and rotors enough on purpose to heat soak them; there is no way that you, with a car that wieghs less, and has more mass in the breaks to soak more heat are running into heat soak.

Assuming all of the new parts are OK, the fluid is the only thing left. Closing note, I was boiling my dot3 cheap fluid a lot when I changed rotors and pads last time. I powerblead 5.1 fluid in and now that doesn't happen.

I say get off the dot 3 fluid and either flush in a top class dot 4, or flush in a good dot 5.1.
remember i own a wagon and i don't have abs;) and as to my knowledge this has been a problem for most gen3 camry's when i test drive other that don't have all the mods i do.

but the dot 5.1 is a possibility explain how you power bled your system

also i still wold like to know about the cooling ducts if anyone has some information

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Basically you blow brake fluid in through the master cyl res. at low pressure and open one nipple at a time and let the old crap flow out.

What fluid is in there now? It really sounds like you're using the good 'ole dot 3 coastal fluid that's like $2.50 for a L here LoL!

Good info on the non ABS, but still... ABS has nothing to do with having brakes so hot your fluid boils ;) They just let up on the brakes when wheel rotation stops. (or hits some predetermined formula)

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Any pickup from under the nose will do. Put some ricer mesh over the end to keep out debris and it should work well for you.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
i have done a search and got this http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=18500&highlight=cooling+ducts and it told me nothing at all i even went to the site mentioned and still nothing.
how many of you guys notice that little scoop thing on your disc shield? mine is small too small to effectively do anything. did any or you guys remove them alltogether or trim them like i did when i added the 13inch rotors? i'm just asking this question cause the camry's brakes seem to get spongy and i did a full upgrade already:
new master cylinder,booster,hoses,calipers,pads,rotors,fluid. i even bought a new proportioning valve from the dealer.
the brakes just seem to heat up too fast and start fadding. so i figure as my next to last resort i would put in cooling ducts to assist them. any ideas?
what type of brake fluid are u using??...how about stainless steel brake lines???....u must have some crazy brake bias with such huge brakes up front.....

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm using valvoline synthetic dot 4 abs brake fluid. i just don't like the way the pedal seems to go to the floor i thought it was the master cylinder but i changed it 2 times those links are very helpful i think i'm going to do that this week just got to find out how to mount it...

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Keep us posting about what you do. I have been thinking about doing something like that to my next car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts