Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 Camry 4 cyl, the car gets real hot before cooling fans start to the point of boiling over. If I unplug the wires to the cooling fan that are of the drivers side with the key on the fans continue to run. Plugged in they turn off;
After car cooled down the radiator was dry...it does not leak and is checked at least once per week. Is it possible that the cooling fans were not coming on and boiling the water out?

Is there something that will not allow the cooling fans to start when the car is real hot... Also, is there any reason that I cannot leave unplugged and fans continue to run when car is running?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I though my cooling sensor was bad... I did unplug the cooling sensor, my both fans continuous running. both fan continuous running is normal. It turn out my thermostat was stuck...

I bought a new one from Toyota dealer less $10...at lease I know I am getting quality OEM part. now, my temp. gauge is NORMAL now. REMEMBER THE POSITION (POINT) WHEN YOU REMOVE THE OLD THERMOSTAT SO YOU CAN INSTALL THE NEW THERMOSTAT THE SAME POSITION.

since you're at...flush your old antifreeze from radiator and add new RED antifreeze 50/50 mix... You get REd color antifreeze from Dealer.

If you decide to flush your old antifreeze out, then you add new red antifreeze to radiator. Add until your radiator can't take anymore new red antifreeze.

leave the antifreeze CAP OPEN.

crank the car and standby by adding more red antifreeze to the radiator...... this time you turn HEAT ON MAX to allow water suck in the engine. keep add red antifreeze if you see red antifreeze is running low on the radiator. keep doing until you see the red antifreeze is running (HOT) out, then you closed the CAP.

NOW, YOU FILL ANTIFREEZE TO YOUR RESERVOIR MAX LEVEL.

BE CAUTION AND CAREFUL WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING WITH HOT ANTIFREEZE.

KEEP YOUR EYE ON YOUR TEMP. GAUGE when you're doing this.

TAKE A TEST DRIVE AND LEAVE THE ENGINE COOL, THEN RE-CHECK ANTIFREEZE AGAIN . IF IT'S LOW, THEN ADD MORE...

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
"is there any reason that I cannot leave unplugged and fans continue to run when car is running?"

Yes. With the cooling fans constantly running, the car will take an excessively long time to reach operating temperature from a cold start, if it ever does reach operating temperature. During this time the car will be running an excessively rich fuel mixture. This will greatly increase fuel consumption and may eventually destroy the catalytic converter.

Do what has been suggested and replace the thermostat and gasket with Toyota OEM parts and then refill and bleed the cooling system. Do not continue to overheat the car. The aluminum cylinder head in your car does not take to kindly to overheating. You may destroy the head gasket, warp the head or even totally destroy it. This will make your current problem seem like a cheap fix.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts