Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 Camry 2.0L 4-cyl. The two cooling fans won't shut off. They function properly when the car is running but won't turn off when the ignition is turned off. I've checked the separate relays for the fans and they appear OK and I replaced the fan switch (in the thermostat housing) which didn't fix the problem. Does anyone know what it could be? I'm a bit of a novice at this but desperately need help. Thank you!!

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
675 Posts
Okay well your car is fine unless it is still running when the key is out...then your own your own with that one :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fans keep running even if the key is out and would run until the battery died if I didn't disconnect it. I'm aare that when functioning properly the fans may run for a short time after the car is turned off but these NEVER shut off.

I've replaced the fan switch temperature sensor and checked the relays but these don't appear to be the cause. I really need help because I can't imagine what the cause is. Thank you very much.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
sounds very weird. the fans shouldn't run if the key's out. only hondas do that.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
it sounds like the thermostat or the relays are messed up. and since you have replaced the thermostat, you might want to replace the relays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't tried replacing the relays but each fan has its own relay and it seems weird that both relays would be messed up. Or could one relay be messed up and because of the way this circuit is wired cause both fans to run forever? Thanks.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
yes it is possible, there are many ways that it could be wired up, i wouldnt know without seeing it, but I would start at the source....start where the switch(probably the thermostat) is and then move your way back to the fan, testing/replacing what doesnt work. You have already replaced damn near everything except the relays(so you said) so it seams that that would be the only thing that could go wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Hatch. I guess I'll have to try replacing the relays but was hoping there was some way to test if they are bad first because I know they are expensive.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I cant imagine both relays are defective at once.

I think it is a control issue, (engaging the relays) if you can determine the coil leads of the relays you could measure voltage that triggers them.

I would wait before spending the $$ for them.

CW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Craig. I doubt both are defective at once too. So I will try to trace the wiring to locate the problem. I was hoping somebody would have seen this problem before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts