Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 Camry 4 cyl. What is the small elbow shaped hose underneath the top radiator hose? I looked for a diagram of the cooling system and heater core / hoses but can't find one anywhere.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
do you mean the hose that goes to the overflow tank?
P/N = 16478-74180

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
weird, there seems to be about 3 different part numbers in that link I posted, for what seems to be the same hose, not sure why (they don't seem to be "JPN/USA" source or "V6/I4" engine difference) Maybe the vendor can help, or maybe easiest to get one from a pick-n-pull yard, should be pretty cheap

By the way, when a pre-formed hose becomes no longer available, an easy solution is to get a piece of aluminum pipe the right ID, bend it with a tubing bender to the desired shape, and then use a short piece of flex hose and clamps to complete the connection at each end. It is overkill using aluminum tube in place of rubber hose, but when a formed hose is no longer available it should work every time.

N

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually the smaller elbow shaped hose underneath the top radiator hose. In the picture the bigger hose towards the top right hand corner is the upper radiator hose. The one I've circled is underneath that. It seems to go from the manifold to the vacuum sensor. It looks like a heater hose? I'm not sure what it is. It's quite difficult to get the camera down there.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Might it be a bypass hose? I found 3 that were small and elbow shaped with the following part #s:

16261-74010
16267-74081
16264-74101

Maybe that will help...

·
short-throw dipstick
5,899 Posts
Wow, it's rare for that to go out. Pump your VIN into www.japan-parts.eu and look under Radiator & Water Outlet. Then, take the part number and dump it into any dealer site to see if it supersedes.

On my '00 I4, it's 16261-74100, which supersedes to 16261-03050.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Previously I replaced the radiator, lower and upper radiator hoses and thermostat. Then it just started overheating a couple days ago. It is rare for the bypass hose to go. The car is a 92 model so it is getting on in years. It's done quite a lot of miles so I'm not surprised. I just hope the water pump doesn't go next. I've literally had no luck with the cooling system on this car.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Previously I replaced the radiator, lower and upper radiator hoses and thermostat. Then it just started overheating a couple days ago. It is rare for the bypass hose to go. The car is a 92 model so it is getting on in years. It's done quite a lot of miles so I'm not surprised. I just hope the water pump doesn't go next. I've literally had no luck with the cooling system on this car.
Did you replaced the Thermostat with a TOYOTA part "or" an aftermarket Thermostat?

I have not had any luck with aftermarket Thermostat parts as they tend to be not made to open at the correct temperature and their accuracy in opening is not there.

You would think that a 1992 Camry would not get affected by an aftermarket Thermostat but, believe me they do and newer vehicles in general with much more sensors are even more prone to have issues by aftermarket Thermostats.

Please consider purchasing a genuine TOYOTA Thermostat for your 1992 Camry.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Did it just start overheating after all the replacements? If so, maybe it's just a simple matter of burping the cooling system and getting all the air bubbles out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was
Did it just start overheating after all the replacements? If so, maybe it's just a simple matter of burping the cooling system and getting all the air bubbles out.
First I replaced the radiator and thermostat around a year ago and about 2 months later I replaced the two radiator hoses coz they split so it was about 10 months between changing the radiator hoses and it overheating. I did bleed the air out of it when I did all the those replacements.
I'll replace the radiator bypass hose and bleed the air out of it and see how that goes. Thank you for all your answers, they were very helpful and informative

·
Registered
649 Posts
Other easy thing to check is the condition of the radiator cap. If it needs to be replaced, usually I recommend getting an OEM cap.

If everything else looks alright, well then the water pump just might be FUBARed and changing that is a tad more complicated than the other easy checks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts