Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my name is Ken. Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.
So my wife drives an '03 Sequoia. The other nite she mentions the heater isn't working so I automatically assume heater control valve.
The next morning I start inspecting. Crank the truck and let it idle to operating temp and sure enough no heat. However I also notice the temp is rising past its normal range but not to the point of overheating so now I'm starting to think its a thermostat thats has failed in the closed position. Let the truck cool down and I open the radiator cap and notice its pretty low, maybe two gallons or a little less. I fill it up, crank it back up and let it idle to operating temp, to the point when the thermostat should open. However it doesn't seem like it is opening. No pressure in the cooling system, and heater still blowing cold, also the coolant level never drops, no circulation seen in radiator also. So being that its easy to remove the thermostat I do so. I put it in a pot of water on the the kitchen stove and the damn thing opens normally. So now I'm a little stumped here.
So let me back up a little to say the water pump doesn't seem to be making any noise and there are no visible coolant leaks anywhere.
The exhaust looks fine so I don't think its a head gasket. The coolant looked fine.
Just can't understand where that much coolant would have gone. Unless she drove it hot not realizing it and it got pushed out.
Tomorrow I plan on putting it back together and driving around to see what happens.
Any suggestions about what I may be missing would be great.
Also I did do a search. Thanks in advance.
Im sure I'm missing some info so please ask away.

·
Registered
Sequoia
45 Posts
How many miles on the auto? Has the timing belt and water pump been replaced? If so, what with? Have you checked around for white streaks and such on the plastic around the engine compartment, sure sign of coolant leaks Thinking your pump may be going bad.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
It's probably the radiator itself.

Check the upper tank of the radiator, near the foam strip. If OEM, you likely have a large crack at that upper tank which is causing boiling issues.

If not, you may want to look at the water pump.

·
Registered
Sequoia
45 Posts
Hardtopte72, question,,is there a history with these OEM rads? have noticed some whitish streaks over the top of mine , near the foam strip,. I wiped it down and have driven more, with out seeing any more evidence of a problem,. Not trying to interrupt the thread, just checking out the history of whats happening

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
Hardtopte72, question,,is there a history with these OEM rads? have noticed some whitish streaks over the top of mine , near the foam strip,. I wiped it down and have driven more, with out seeing any more evidence of a problem,. Not trying to interrupt the thread, just checking out the history of whats happening
Yes. They have issues with cracking after around 10 years and 200K or so. I've replaced three on various Sequoia and Tundra models in the last few years.

·
Registered
Sequoia
45 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I will try and do a pressure test and see if I have one on the way out. The one in there , is the OEM from 2003 , when the ride was new. From time to time , the sound of the fan clutch is over whelming to my wife , who drive's the ride, and I have noticed it only happens when just off idle when the car is warmed well up, after highway jaunts sometimes, you don't hear the fan as bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts