Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the ABS module from my 07 Corolla. The brakes are fine after that. The problem is that I forgot that the speed signal comes from the ABS module, that receives it from the wheels sensors. So, the painel doesn't shows the speed anymore. Does somebody knows how to solve this problem. I don't want to connect the ABS module just for the speed signal. I am wondering if it's possible to make a jumper on the ABS connector so the painel receives the speed signal directly without passing through the ABS module.

The reason I removed the module is because its not working and in my country a new one costs 50% of the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What isn't working? Did you have it scanned? I had an issue with my ABS and it was just one of the wheel speed sensors... replaced hub, bearing and sensor for $50 and it works now. Are you sure its actually the abs module? seems kind of unlikely that would fail and not a wheel sensor...

I'd just try plugging the module back in and unplug all the wheel speed sensors and see if that fixes the issue. If it can't detect the speeds it will automatically disable ABS system.

I am pretty sure the speed sensor is in the transmission but not 100% sure that's true for all international cars...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The module is actually not working. The fluid just can't pass through It. The hydraulic portion of It is damaged. The car was at workshop and was scanned. The fluid goes only to the front right and rear right wheels. That's why I removed the module. At least I have brake on the four wheels now.
Regarding the speed, It has stopped when I removed the module, so I'm supposing It is the module that gives the signal through the wheels sensors, but I'm not sure. The fact is that if I connect the module back to the connector, not hydraulically, the speed comes back.

·
Registered
2007 Corolla S
216 Posts
Yes the abs module would collect wheel speed information. There isn't any harm in running the vehicle with the pump motor unplugged and the module still connected. Well other than the obvious disabling a safety feature.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The module is actually not working. The fluid just can't pass through It. The hydraulic portion of It is damaged. The car was at workshop and was scanned. The fluid goes only to the front right and rear right wheels. That's why I removed the module. At least I have brake on the four wheels now.
Regarding the speed, It has stopped when I removed the module, so I'm supposing It is the module that gives the signal through the wheels sensors, but I'm not sure. The fact is that if I connect the module back to the connector, not hydraulically, the speed comes back.
Does the ABS light stay on when you connect it? If so, why not just leave it plugged in like that? If ABS light is on, the ABS system is disabled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't leave the ABS hydraulically connected, since the fluid doesn't reach two wheels, as I said. My Idea is connect it just to the electrical plug so it sends the speed signal to the panel. But I am wondering if there is another solution, like a jumper in the connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just another information, the abs light goes off when I connect it. To disable the ABS I have removed it's fuse and than the light goes on, disabling the ABS. Even with the fuse out, the speedometer works, and that's why I think maybe it is possible to make a jumper in the connector, since the ABS module is not energized without the fuse and probably the speed signal is passing through It without any treatment. But I may be totally wrong, I realy don't know.

·
Registered
2007 Corolla S
216 Posts
The main fuse is likely for the pump not the module. We need a wiring diagram. Because the ebcm/abs does need to know vehicle speed, but it might not be the module that interprets the wheel speed sensor.

If I understand correctly though, if you can live with the abs light on (or black tape over it) then it would be fine to just leave it as is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I can live with the ABS light on. I Just didn't want to put the damaged module back to the car since It doesn't fit the original place anymore. In that place I installed the fluid divisors and some hoses to bypass the module without bending the original metal pipes in order to install the ABS back in the Future If needed. If there is no other solution than have the ABS back, I would have to adapt a support to reposition It in a way the connector reaches It.

·
Registered
53 Posts
disabling abs is a foolish mistake. in the event of avoiding a collision you could be hurt or killed as youll lose control from tire skid

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,646 Posts
You cant redirect speed signal from the wheels without an ABS module. The module has the job of translating the signal.

To get some sort of speed signal, you will need to find a same year and similar optioned non ABS car. You will then have to remove the speed sensor and entire speed sensor harness from the car. You would then install the sensor in your transmission (assuming you can) and wire the harness to the correct speed signal pin of your gauge cluster.

You really should either fix the ABS or sell the car. ABS cars generally are hydraulically different and include different master cylinders which account for the ABS pump. Using your configuration could really impact safety.

Have you tried to get a used part?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. This was the information I needed. I have already connected the ABS electronic part back to the car in order to have the speed signal back. This is just a temporary solution. I'm going to look for a used module to solve the problem for good. But it's not an easy task here in my city.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Would you like to try - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ABS+module&_sacat=33560&selvel=Year:2007,Make:Toyota,Model:Corolla,Trim:LE%20Sedan%204-Door,Submodel:LE,Engine:1.8L%201794CC%20l4%20GAS%20DOHC%20Naturally%20Aspirated,Engine - Liter_Display:1.8L&selcontext=productType:CAR_AND_TRUCK,partType:PARTS,queryType:BY_VEHICLE . For some reason, the brand is listed as Toyota but pics in all the listings show "ADVICS" stamped on the module. I would personally like to source it from a seller who accepts free returns, in case the part doesnt work.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,646 Posts
Would you like to try - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ABS+module&_sacat=33560&selvel=Year:2007,Make:Toyota,Model:Corolla,Trim:LE%20Sedan%204-Door,Submodel:LE,Engine:1.8L%201794CC%20l4%20GAS%20DOHC%20Naturally%20Aspirated,Engine - Liter_Display:1.8L&selcontext=productType:CAR_AND_TRUCK,partType:pARTS,queryType:BY_VEHICLE . For some reason, the brand is listed as Toyota but pics in all the listings show "ADVICS" stamped on the module. I would personally like to source it from a seller who accepts free returns, in case the part doesnt work.
ADVICS is a main supplier for Toyota and makes calipers, brake pads, and ABS components. The other ABS supplier is Bosch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts