Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Corolla 2007 automatic was driving fine until last night, I noticed humming noise while I was driving above 80km/h on motorway. I was doing some delivery at night start 6pm. At one moment I drove on motorway for 10 minutes, no humming, very quiet, and I enters 50km/h zone and drove alone for 20 minutes. After that I drove back on motorway and started to notice the humming.
I did not hit any potholes during that time, every minute is smooth road driving.

The symptoms is like following:
Faint humming above 60km/h.
Humming tone or volume is not changing with the direction I drive.
Humming noise is low pitch, gets a bit louder when speed goes up, but at 100km/h the road noise and wind noise covers the humming noise.
The humming noise goes away when the speed is below 60km/h.

Some conditions about my car:
120,000 kms driving, 6 months old new tire, correct tire pressure checked.
Just did service 1 week ago, only changed engine oil, everything is inspected all passed.
Did tire alignment for new tire, but hit potholes at high speed 4 months ago, and hard rubbing on kurb 1 month ago.
Braking system should be good, no squealing sound or any noise the whole time.

First I thought if it was the alignment problems, but really, It hums suddenly. If the alignment is off I should've noticed it long ago.
I inspected the tire, only noticed there is a thin strip of metal sticking out in the tire groove, not sure if it was sticking out from inside, I cannot pull it out by hand, and I just lost my piler.

But I do not think this is the cause, the noise is humming, not clark clark clark like that. Is it possible the wheel bearing is old? Maybe wind noise resonance?
Should I worry about this and drive along, what is the likely cause of this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah went to tyre shop did 4 wheel balance and alignment, still the same noise. Nothing changed at all tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts