Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm writing this guide / tutorial as a big THANK YOU to, first of all, God and second to all of you here at Toyotanation from whom I learn a lot. Keep up the good work and the generosity of sharing knowledge!

*************************************************************************************************************************
NOTE: If you're installing also Fog lights, go to post:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3693286
since you need to remove the dash as well and can take advantage you're doing this already for the rosen unit install here!
*************************************************************************************************************************

Well, here I am, this the Rosen Navigation unit I bought is below (I think it's first gen, but this guide should work for all anyway):

Well, I know everyone says that Rosen units are easy to install and straight-forward but under my experience, it was not that simple. First there were 2 screws on top that needed to be removed before playing any DVD (this was not in user's manual) and also since my corolla factory radio came with 4 harness but the rosen units only has 3 to connect to them. Initially when connecting, it had no sound but then discovered that there was a cable hanging from the main cable from the rosen unit that needed to plugged in (kind of a self loop connection) into the first slot in the second row. See below to understand where this has to be connected. It is kind of intuitive after all since this is the only place where it fits (unfortunately the manual did not mention it). After this dound comes out perfect!
Diagram:

Actual back of the unt:

After that it's all plug and play to get the basics such as Radio, Bluetooth, and USB/SD playback. However, who wants just that? Specially after considering the price of this unit and the amazing features such as DVD playback at all times and not only when stopping and pulling the emergency break and also the backup camera.

So let's go one by one.

The DVD in motion playback is the easiest one. However, DO remember to avoid watching movies while driving. YOU SHOULD NEVER DO that!, I am teaching you this for your kids to watch movies in the back seat while you're driving ok? Deal!

Well, all you have to do is ground the blue cable that says 'BRAKE'. Many people describe many ways of grounding it to different metal parts from the car and running wires here and there. I found this simple solution: Why not just connect this blue 'Brake' cable to the GND (Ground) black cable that comes out from the rosen unit? YES it WORKS! (The 2 blacks were already connected and you have to take black tape off before connecting the blue BRAKE cable there) See picture below:

Now about about backup camera? Hmm, buying rosen camera goes for about $150, mmm too much for some of us. What about using a cheap 15 dollar camera off amazon or ebay? Well it is possible since Rosen provides a harness for backup camera which also is capable of handling generic RCA cameras. However, this harness does not come with the unit and YES again you have to buy it and spend another $20 plus shipping which might be another $30 for just a stupid cable. Here is where brains meet cables :p
I was thinking and giving a look at the cable and where it connects....
The cable looks like this and the yellow cable is the one that is of my interest since this is the one that goes to generic RCA cameras:

Now the above cable connects in spot 3 (see below). However, in that spot, there are 6 pins. My guess was that since the harness above has 3 connectors, then 2 pins should be used for each cable sigal. So I figured two of these pins should be the ones that are used for the RCA connection. After trial and error, I figured these two pins were the ones from the middle (vertically speaking). See all this below:

You must wonder how the heck I figured these 2 pins were the ones used for RCA connection. I did it by creating my own RCA to 2 pin cable. I did by cutting one fo the terminals from an RCA cable and connecting it to a 2 pin cable from an old computer. The RCA cable when cut has 2 cables one in the very inside (the one going to the center) and anohter on the outside. The inside one is the video + and the outside one the ground or video-. Well the the 2-pin cable I used came from a very old broken computer laying on my garage. I cut one of those cables that go from the power button to the motherboard. This was a paired cable that connected to 2 pins in the mobo. Since the 2 pins looked like the pins on the back of the rosen unit, I figured I could use it. So I pretty much soldered each cable from the RCA (inside and outside) to each cable from this 2 pin cable. The end result looked like below:

Now that I have my cable prepared, all I have to do is to plug this cable into the 2 pins shown in figure 6 above. Be aware that if you plug in one way and it does not work, you might have to plug them in reverse position for the 2 pin cable (because you might have plugged video+ in video- from the unit). But other than that, it becomes a SIMPLE PLUG N' PLAY!

Well, seems that we're almost over and to be honest I am getting really tired by now. But I want to give you my very last trick! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to put reverse in have the Rosen unit immediately switch to backup camera? Well it is possible! What I did was to connect a cable to rear bulb from my corolla (positive Pole - Red color) and route this cable all the way to the unit and attach it to the cable labeled 'BACK' from the unit (this is the reverse trigger cable). This wasn't that much of a problem since I needed to route the reverse camera video signal as well. So both cables were routed together. For the power of my backup camera I used this same cables (RED and WHITE) from the same REVERSE light bulb. See below:

After connecting all and all, you SHOULD HAVE IT ALL: ROSEN unit working GREAT!, DVD playback in motion and BACKUP CAMERA ACTIVATED AUTOMATICALLY when reversing! Isnt it amazing! I am very excited and happy with my work. It took me some time to do this and I think it was worth every minute of it.

Finally the unit looks like below. It's amazing how these people from Rosen match the right color for the unit and orange lighting to the factory toyota corolla ones.

Good luck guys and God bless you and your installations, please let me know what you think. Also check out my fog lights installation, I did combining the knowledge everybody gives here and there and used a cheap ebay kit plus a toyota relay and made the cleanest installation possible with factory harness and a swicth ALL FOR JUST AROUND $80 (Fog Lights Kit + Switch). It is good that if you want fog lights and Rosen unit do it all at once since you will need to remove the dash for the fogs as well and it's better to take advantage of the fact that you're already removing the dash for the rosen unit. Please if interested go to forum:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3693286

Please let me know what you think and hope this tutorial helped.

P.S. If anyone has a question and prefers using spanish please feel free, I speak both!

·
Unofficial TN Member
2009 Rolla S
1,429 Posts
There's a reverse wire at the kick panel that you could also tap into instead of the one at the bulb. Same difference but less hassle. Good job btw :thumbsup:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a reverse wire at the kick panel that you could also tap into instead of the one at the bulb. Same difference but less hassle. Good job btw :thumbsup:
Thank you man! You're right and I saw someone posting a picture of where it was, but I just thought I would take it from the same reverse bulb since I was going to route the video cable for the camera anyway from the back to all the way to the front. So at the end I just routed them together.

·
Yeeaaahh!:D
corolla s
1,092 Posts
How is the sound quality compared to the factory deck and a typical aftermarket unit?
Rosen unit has a weaker antenna compared to our stock radio. i get static noises when on AM/FM but it differs from place to place. i called the guys about it and said it was normal because the rosen unit only has one receiver or something and the original has two. If you play music with ipod or bluetooth it works well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The antenna issue is an unfortunate matter as I already have enough problems with stock head unit + antenna.

I have noticed that compared to my old Sony head unit however, the stock radio still pales in comparison, the highs aren't as rich and the lows aren't as deep. This is all when playing from a CD or a music player. What are your impressions?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The antenna issue is an unfortunate matter as I already have enough problems with stock head unit + antenna.

I have noticed that compared to my old Sony head unit however, the stock radio still pales in comparison, the highs aren't as rich and the lows aren't as deep. This is all when playing from a CD or a music player. What are your impressions?
My toyota is the 2010 corolla LE. When I removed the stereo, I noticed only one antenna conector connected even though the back of stereo seemed to have 2 holes for antennas. In any case, the rosen unit seems to get a bit of static for weak stations inside my garage (might be because of garage metal door) but once outside I haven't felt any problem so far. Maybe I am not too picky? :p DVD playback and bluetooth media playback is flawless though. I synced my rosen to my HTC evo with no problems!

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
141 Posts
Anyone happen to know whats the difference between the Rosen TY0820 & the TY0820-H11 models?

Aside from the labels on the buttons... I can't find that info anywhere.

And can anyone link whatever is needed for Sirius Satellite Radio?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I believe the difference is in the user interface. However it goes down to a hardware level as well. The newer interface may not be loaded on old models due to the fact that the flash built in does not have enough room.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,205 Posts
Rosen unit has a weaker antenna compared to our stock radio. i get static noises when on AM/FM but it differs from place to place. i called the guys about it and said it was normal because the rosen unit only has one receiver or something and the original has two. If you play music with ipod or bluetooth it works well.

In my area around Portland I've seen no difference with my Rosen compared to my stock JBL HU. Both seem to work very well even though I listen to my iPod most of the time.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the gray user interface too, I have the problems with it actually.

I got more questions if you don't mind.

1. How did you route your backup camera? What holes did you run the wire through?
2. The Rosen unit has a TPMS menu....where is the TPMS wire and how do I connect it?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the gray user interface too, I have the problems with it actually.

I got more questions if you don't mind.

1. How did you route your backup camera? What holes did you run the wire through?
2. The Rosen unit has a TPMS menu....where is the TPMS wire and how do I connect it?
Hi,

Find answers below:
1.-The backup camera was routed without making any holes. When opening the trunk and lifting it up you will see some carpet covering the backup lights. Take the clips from there to see what's under it. After doing this, you'll have access to the backup lights. I used the left one since I decided to route my cables on the left side. The cable from the backup camera went from the outside to the inside of this trunk door by releasing a little bit one of the two lights that light up the tag (outside). For this, you need to push them to the outside by moving the clips from the inside. I suggest you work with the trunk all the way up. So I just inserted the camera cable from the camera through that hole and then just pressed the tag light back to its place. I know it looks a little tight but it is ok.

Once this is done all you have to do is plug the power cables to the backup bulb connector. See the picture for this. I also connected the cable to trigger the camera when backing up to this backup bulb connector (red cable since V+). For routing the cable now, it is very easy. Just route the cables by following the path from the cables from the backup lights. It is very easy to hide them behind the carpet from the trunk. Later, throw your back seats and route the cable inside the cabin. For this, what I did was to pass these two cables (video and trigger signal through the plastic floor side covers on the left side of the car. It is very easy to push the cables inside them to hide them.

2.-The TPMS connector I believe is for detecting the tire pressure. I did not connect this since the car has an already pre-built tire sensor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know we have a TPMS capability but I don't know where that information is displayed on our dash, I was hoping someone would know where that wire was so I could connect it to the Rosen unit.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts