Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
Could be a bargain for sure but in my case I wanted specifically a 10 gen XRS (2013) model which I couldn't find, brakes are one of the most important parts on a vehicle and going to cheap you may pay a big price, changing the axle for even an older model didn't sound like a good idea for me at all.
Understood. I get it. This is why I never touched my older Corolla in the first place. I opted to by the gen 1 Corolla xrs. At the time, didn't like the fact that the gen2 xrs had the automatic. When I was on the assembly line, nearly all of the Corolla xrs built were automatics. Given the spacing in the front seat, it turned me off. Of course, I will get slack for that comment. Lol.

Opted for the 2zz version. Am very happy with it and learning lots of information along the way. No need to worry about the oil burner 2.4 liter engine.

Glad to know you are wanting to add more braking. It will be a while to find a gen2 Corolla xrs in the junkyard. Though, copart is an option to find a donor.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Glad to know you are wanting to add more braking. It will be a while to find a gen2 Corolla xrs in the junkyard. Though, copart is an option to find a donor.
More braking power!!!!!, I doubt it, this is more for looks than anything else, still I will do a video from 0-60 and slam on it before and after to see if there's any difference, also this is a well deserve gift to my 10 years loyal partner in 5 more years I can apply for the Florida Antique license plate :)

Supercharged MR2 is the one who needs more braking power, I will seriously consider a big brake conversion set if I was him.

Reactions: 75aces

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Could be a bargain for sure but in my case I wanted specifically a 10 gen XRS (2013) model which I couldn't find, brakes are one of the most important parts on a vehicle and going to cheap you may pay a big price, changing the axle for even an older model didn't sound like a good idea for me at all.
I'm not really interested in swapped the entire axle either. Doing the swap doesn't look that terribly difficult so once I get the parts rounded up I'll start the process. I imagine you will be done before me so I'll follow your build and ask you questions if I need to when I'm in the process.

Reactions: Corolla trd

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
More braking power!!!!!, I doubt it, this is more for looks than anything else, still I will do a video from 0-60 and slam on it before and after to see if there's any difference, also this is a well deserve gift to my 10 years loyal partner in 5 more years I can apply for the Florida Antique license plate :)

Supercharged MR2 is the one who needs more braking power, I will seriously consider a big brake conversion set if I was him.
Just upgrading my front rotors and pads made a huge improvement over stock so I'm sure that doing this conversion on the rear with the same rotors and pads will be a nice improvement over the drums. Drum brakes will normally stop as well or better than disc brakes in the back but only for 1 or 2 stops before brake fade occurs. There is more brake material on brake shoes than brake pads. The benefit to pads is that it's easier to get better stopping power with different pad material. And they also look a lot better. :p

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just upgrading my front rotors and pads made a huge improvement over stock so I'm sure that doing this conversion on the rear with the same rotors and pads will be a nice improvement over the drums. Drum brakes will normally stop as well or better than disc brakes in the back but only for 1 or 2 stops before brake fade occurs. There is more brake material on brake shoes than brake pads. The benefit to pads is that it's easier to get better stopping power with different pad material. And they also look a lot better. :p
Drop my car today at the body shop and because of the little dings and dents around almost on each panel the guy give me a good deal for full painting, so I said yes, I'm going to paint the rear view mirrors same color, I'm guessing by Friday I will have my car back and I hope to get my parts to start with the disc conversion during the weekend. 😎

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm not really interested in swapped the entire axle either. Doing the swap doesn't look that terribly difficult so once I get the parts rounded up I'll start the process. I imagine you will be done before me so I'll follow your build and ask you questions if I need to when I'm in the process.
Absolutely I will keep you posted step by step of this project.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Drop my car today at the body shop and because of the little dings and dents around almost on each panel the guy give me a good deal for full painting, so I said yes, I'm going to paint the rear view mirrors same color, I'm guessing by Friday I will have my car back and I hope to get my parts to start with the disc conversion during the weekend. 😎
I can't wait to see it!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Absolutely I will keep you posted step by step of this project.
Awesome, thank you so much. It will be great if there are any tricks that you find along the way.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Brake update, I had to order the E-Brake online from the Toyota dealer cheaper than buying to the dealer close by?? Go figure : I'm placing the part numbers that I order and I'll update this as need it :

NOTE : I didn't order the hub with the ABS sensor; like the OP he just interchanged if at removing the hub, if I'll ruin it then that part is need it, we'll see.

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price EA​
Description​
0446602310​
$ 40.88​
Disc Brake Pad Set (Rear)
A set of disc brake pads for a vehicle's disc brake caliper brake system.
4780402020​
$ 122.13​
Brake Dust Shield (Left, Rear)
4780302020​
$ 122.13​
Brake Dust Shield (Right, Rear)
90947A2023​
$ 46.13​
Brake Hydraulic Hose (Right, Rear)
4782102160​
$ 96.43​
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket (Left, Right, Rear)
Mounting, Disc Brake Cylinder.
A bracket for a disc brake caliper.
4785002180​
$ 150.51​
Disc Brake Caliper (Left, Rear)
4783002180​
$ 150.51​
Disc Brake Caliper (Right, Rear)
4243102200​
$ 53.31​
Disc Brake Rotor (Rear)
A single disc brake rotor
4642002151 1 $60.27 E-Brake R
4643002151 1 $60.27 E-Brake L

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Brake update, I had to order the E-Brake online from the Toyota dealer cheaper than buying to the dealer close by?? Go figure : I'm placing the part numbers that I order and I'll update this as need it :

NOTE : I didn't order the hub with the ABS sensor; like the OP he just interchanged if at removing the hub, if I'll ruin it then that part is need it, we'll see.

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price EA​
Description​
0446602310​
$ 40.88​
Disc Brake Pad Set (Rear)
A set of disc brake pads for a vehicle's disc brake caliper brake system.
4780402020​
$ 122.13​
Brake Dust Shield (Left, Rear)
4780302020​
$ 122.13​
Brake Dust Shield (Right, Rear)
90947A2023​
$ 46.13​
Brake Hydraulic Hose (Right, Rear)
4782102160​
$ 96.43​
Disc Brake Caliper Bracket (Left, Right, Rear)
Mounting, Disc Brake Cylinder.
A bracket for a disc brake caliper.
4785002180​
$ 150.51​
Disc Brake Caliper (Left, Rear)
4783002180​
$ 150.51​
Disc Brake Caliper (Right, Rear)
4243102200​
$ 53.31​
Disc Brake Rotor (Rear)
A single disc brake rotor
4642002151 1 $60.27 E-Brake R
4643002151 1 $60.27 E-Brake L
Thanks for this great info. I have the brake pads and rotors on order. I'll buy the calipers new too from the dealer. If I can pick up the dust shields and brackets used that would be okay. I'll see if I can order a set of the rear SS brake lines that I just installed on my front disc and rear drum brakes.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,323 Posts
I've got rear disc brakes on my Vibe since four wheel disc brakes come standard on all 2nd gen Matrix/Vibes. 😁

From what I've researched though, different rear disc brake setups have their own unique problems on Corolla's. For instance, 9th Gen XRS rear disc setups are notoriously known for the ebrake sticking and/or failing due to the drum in disc setup. 10th gen Corolla XRS and certain Matrix/Vibe rear disc setups are known for the pads wearing out at an angle/unevenly. I say certain Matrix/Vibe setups because I believe that the base model 2nd gen Matrix/Vibe have a different rear disc brake setup than the XRS variants but I've also heard that the uneven pad wear occurs on both setups. On my own Vibe, I didn't experience uneven wear on my rear discs but instead, the handbrake would get stuck in cold temps. I changed the caliper which seems to have fixed it so I'll say that my issue doesn't relate to this (possibly a seized caliper). There's even a TSB for this issue: Rear Brake TSB Link 11th Gen rear disc setups seem to have no particular problems or quirks so it seems these would be a good setup to use. However, they don't look any different to the setup on my car... 🤔

Despite the issues, don't let these sway you from doing the rear disc brake swap. I love my rear disc brakes and greatly prefer them over the drums from my old Corolla's. I'd say the preferable setup to swap to is either the 10th gen Corolla/Matrix XRS setup (with the updated TSB parts) or the 11th gen Corolla setup (if it all fits).

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Understood. I get it. This is why I never touched my older Corolla in the first place. I opted to by the gen 1 Corolla xrs. At the time, didn't like the fact that the gen2 xrs had the automatic. When I was on the assembly line, nearly all of the Corolla xrs built were automatics. Given the spacing in the front seat, it turned me off. Of course, I will get slack for that comment. Lol.

Opted for the 2zz version. Am very happy with it and learning lots of information along the way. No need to worry about the oil burner 2.4 liter engine.

This keeps throwing me off. What you really mean is a 9th Gen Corolla XRS and a 10th Gen Corolla XRS. The XRS isn't a separate Gen in itself since they are a 9th Gen and 10th Gen Corolla model.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Yes it's a 9th gen, but is the 1st gen. Haha.
The XRS isn't a Gen, it's a trim level of the 9th Gen Corolla and 10th Gen Corolla. Just like the 12th Gen Corolla XSE isn't the 1st Gen XSE. ;) :oops: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Still carless 😭 all dents have been removed now they have to take the whole car apart and start painting.
Still waiting on all the brake parts and my console.
I have some goodies today

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Parking brake cables on the way last thing I ordered first to come? Still waiting on my console almost a month and my brakes.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts