Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone.

New here, and was referred to by a friend to ask this question here. For the record - based in Alexandria, VA if anyone reading this is local and can chime in.

I will be extremely succinct.

First problem was April 2018 - transmission was "slipping" - but still could drive it, it sometimes would 'stall'. Transmission completely replaced by a Dealership at 49843 miles under warranty.

Second problem October 2020 - driving and all of a sudden in the middle of the drive something happens and "Drive" won't work, car goes to a stop. Couldn't Reverse it either. Only could put it into neutral to push it off the road. Car was sitting in a parking lot for months until,

Only this weekend, took it back to the dealership for a diagnostic.

Got this text from the dealership.

"the tech says he believes it's internal transmission, we need to do an transmission oil pressure test and pull the transmission oil pan to see what is going on inside - looking for any metal shavings, etc. the cost is $489.35 and then he will determine where to go from there. there is a possibility it will be replacement of transmission - what ever he finds i will give estimate for. Please let me know if ok to proceed."

After following up and reminding them the transmission was replaced there, and transmissions shouldn't die so fast they said I don't have warranty anymore.

I have many questions but I guess the first would be; how to proceed with this? Fight this and file a corporate claim? Go with the diagnostic? Take it elsewhere? Someone maybe even had the exact same issue and knows what it could be?

Thank you so much for reading this, everyone. This transmission issue has been hard to deal with second time in a row. Especially after hearing that Toyotas are so well built.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good day everyone.

New here, and was referred to by a friend to ask this question here. For the record - based in Alexandria, VA if anyone reading this is local and can chime in.

I will be extremely succinct.

First problem was April 2018 - transmission was "slipping" - but still could drive it, it sometimes would 'stall'. Transmission completely replaced by a Dealership at 49843 miles under warranty.

Second problem October 2020 - driving and all of a sudden in the middle of the drive something happens and "Drive" won't work, car goes to a stop. Couldn't Reverse it either. Only could put it into neutral to push it off the road. Car was sitting in a parking lot for months until,

Only this weekend, took it back to the dealership for a diagnostic.

Got this text from the dealership.

"the tech says he believes it's internal transmission, we need to do an transmission oil pressure test and pull the transmission oil pan to see what is going on inside - looking for any metal shavings, etc. the cost is $489.35 and then he will determine where to go from there. there is a possibility it will be replacement of transmission - what ever he finds i will give estimate for. Please let me know if ok to proceed."

After following up and reminding them the transmission was replaced there, and transmissions shouldn't die so fast they said I don't have warranty anymore.

I have many questions but I guess the first would be; how to proceed with this? Fight this and file a corporate claim? Go with the diagnostic? Take it elsewhere? Someone maybe even had the exact same issue and knows what it could be?

Thank you so much for reading this, everyone. This transmission issue has been hard to deal with second time in a row. Especially after hearing that Toyotas are so well built.
Sounds like a valve body problem. Cheapest way to get by is find a junk yard k313, have someone install it(not the dealer) for cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just curious. Were any of the two Toyota sevice campaigns on the CVT performed (J0D & JSD), prior to the first problem?
You need to do a cost analysis of replacing the CVT on a 5+ year old vehicle and also determine how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. I've never priced an OEM replacement CVT, but I hear they are upwards of $7K (parts & labor). Like Joseph mentioned, you should consider a low mile CVT from a wrecking yard. You may not get a warranty, but it may be a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious. Were any of the two Toyota sevice campaigns on the CVT performed (J0D & JSD), prior to the first problem?
I just asked the dealership this question. Will report back with the information. What would this mean if the service was not performed prior to the first problem?

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you were the original owner, you should have received a Toyota notification via mail explaining the problem and solution.
You can look at your vehicle's service history here: Logged Out My Vehicle Page | Toyota Owners
There should be record of all dealer service activities, service campaigns, and TSB/recalls both implemented or outstanding. It will be interesting to see if the J0D and/or JSD update (s/w part) was performed after the CVT first failure. If not, I would question why? Also, if no campaign was applied is there a connection that may have contributed to the second CVT problem? This could only be determined, if a failure/fault analysis is performed, which is an out of pocket cost. This is sort of a unique situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I looked up the Toyota Owners site and now its coming back to me. So both of those were done (Actually now that I look at it, it lists only J0D and no JSD) on the transmission the first time I came in with the problem when I did an oil change. Then the problem persisted so I took it to a third party mechanic shop to run diagnostics - they didn't know what it was, so they recommended I go back to the dealership. I did so with evidence. Only then they said the transmission needs to be switched out.

That was only a few days apart. From the updates on the first transmission - to third party diagnostics - to replacement.

Now when I look at the service history - when they put in the new transmission - it says nothing about them implementing those same updates they did on the first transmission when I came in with the problem. Do I have a case to argue that here?

I have THIS on the first transmission

4/2018
J0D - PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATE
J0D - PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATE ~|~SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN J0D - REMEDY NOTICE CERTAIN 2014 - 2017 MODEL YEAR COROLLA VEHICLES CERTAIN 2017 MODEL YEAR COROLLA IM VEHICLES CERTAIN 2016 MODEL YEAR SCION IM VEHICLES. ~|~J0D RECALL ~|~49791 J0D RECALL LGG11B PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATE 0.6
but nothing like that when they replaced the transmission.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,417 Posts
Include County Transmissions in Vienna among the places you consider.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What sort of warantee did you get with the first replacement? Did it expire when you drove it off the lot?
I would be doing some complaining to toyota directly.
I am also wondering if there is something up with the main computer module and or the transmission module (if it is separate) or the wiring in between.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been reading both of the official Campaign documents J0D and JSD and using this forum as information all day today to ask specific questions about my 'repairs' - the person talking to me seems to get heated already. They're being pushy with a diagnostic that costs $500 to check the problem but I want to get my information right. So far based off everything I've been reading - they could have done the repairs wrong.

I intend to use the information I get from these guys to file a complaint with the HQ - what would that step require? Talk with a Toyota CSR and file a claim/case to escalate?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have been reading both of the official Campaign documents J0D and JSD and using this forum as information all day today to ask specific questions about my 'repairs' - the person talking to me seems to get heated already. They're being pushy with a diagnostic that costs $500 to check the problem but I want to get my information right. So far based off everything I've been reading - they could have done the repairs wrong.

I intend to use the information I get from these guys to file a complaint with the HQ - what would that step require? Talk with a Toyota CSR and file a claim/case to escalate?
That sucks. Dealers will charge u 500$ to tell you that you need to change transmission that will also tack on another 4-5k LOL. U better off just buying a valve body, change it yourself. Valve body is like 400$. If it’s not the culprit, then buy a junk yard k313, have someone install then ur set. Still cheaper than dealer. But your car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joseph, I am not buying nothing until I get the entire chronology of events of what they did with my car, and that's what I've been doing. Next up I will file a claim with Toyota. Only after the escalation will I consider making any purchases.

How does a brand NEW transmission they put in just die within 2.5 years? My car is at 101,000 miles only. Seems suspect especially after 3 mechanics I spoke to told me CVT transmissions don't usually have problems like this.

I will keep everyone updated on what is going on. In a few days I'll post up document of the chronology of the repairs. Then we will see how this picture unfolds.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Joseph, I am not buying nothing until I get the entire chronology of events of what they did with my car, and that's what I've been doing. Next up I will file a claim with Toyota. Only after the escalation will I consider making any purchases.

How does a brand NEW transmission they put in just die within 2.5 years? My car is at 101,000 miles only. Seems suspect especially after 3 mechanics I spoke to told me CVT transmissions don't usually have problems like this.

I will keep everyone updated on what is going on. In a few days I'll post up document of the chronology of the repairs. Then we will see how this picture unfolds.
One thing I may say, those mechanics that did your CVT may have under filled or over filled your transmission fluid. One of the reasons why I do my own maintenance on my car especially transmission fluid since it needs to be very specific amount and it needs to be done with temperature check. Only thing I did with the dealership was change my valve body for a noise that was done with warranty. 1 week later, I changed my CVT fluid because I wasn’t too sure if the mechanic that worked on my car filled it correctly or not. Since these transmissions are very sensitive to it. I got 62k miles on my 16 scion iM and it’s shifting smooth AF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Toyota conversation

Monday - 2/15/21

TOYOTA: Just confirming that I’ll update you about your Corolla by text. If you have any questions while it is in our care please text me back. Thanks -

ME: I am waiting for new information from you about car malfunctions. Thank.

TOYOTA: Good Morning, i left you a message -wanted to make sure you know the diagnostic fee is 140.95. once we check it out and find out what is going on i will give you an estimate on what the car needs. if you fix it the 140.95 goes away. if you choose not to then the 140.95 is what you pay for the tech checking it out.
I will let you know as soon as i know more!
Thank you,

ME: Thank you. My X will take care. Thanks

TOYOTA: Hi X,
the tech says he believes internal in transmission, we need to do an transmission oil pressure test and pull the transmission oil pan to see what is going on inside-looking for any metal shavings. etc. the cost is $489.35 and then he will determine where to go from there. there is a possibilty it will be replacement of transmission - what ever he finds i will give estimate for. Please let me know if ok to proceed.
Thank you,
X

ME: I would like to remind you that the transmission for this car came out of your shop. It was replaced in April of 2018. If it is a transmission failure - and any tests that you must conduct - we are not paying for. It is too early for a brand new transmission to fail and for that reason it seems suspect. Next step is for you to please inform the service manager of this information and what he says.

TOYOTA: I am aware about the transmission-i checked the history , it was replaced in april 2018, at 49843 miles, almost 3 years ago and over 50,000 miles ago, it is out of warranty. i spoke with my service manager. he can help with a discount for the diagnosis the discount would take it down to 420.00 plus tax.

ME: Were any of the two Toyota service campaigns on the CVT performed (J0D & JSD) on the vehicle.”

TOYOTA: Yes, the JOD was done 4/7/18, JSD done 4/11/19

ME: And when was the new transmission put in. Send the documentation to X please

TOYOTA: the transmission was replaced 4/12/2018 you can go right online to toyotaownersonline.com, --you register with your vin and you can see the whole history for your vehicle what was done and information on the recalls or when any new recalls would ever come and need to be done.

Tuesday - 2/16/21

TOYOTA: Hi X,
just checking in with you to see if you had made a decision to proceed with the diagnostic ?
Thank you,
X

ME: To Whom It May Concern:
1. I bring in my car with the first transmission problem which according to the service history gets the J0D update but not
2. The problem persists - I bring it back a few days later...
3. You replace a whole transmission on the 4/12.
4. Somewhere between point 1 and point 4 there is a “JSD” campaign. Where is it? Because I am not seeing the service history mention any mention of it when the new transmission went in.
5. Also, where is the J0D update on the Replacement?
6. According to the official NHTSA document for the JSD campaign. It is stated “All dealership technicians performing this recall are required to successfully complete the most current version of the E-Learning course “Safety Recall and Service Campaign Essentials. To ensure that all vehicles have the repair performed correctly”
Did the mechanics who replaced this transmission go through this?
Looking forward to get answers for ALL 6 points. Thank you. Sincerely, X

TOYOTA: Yes, our technicians are certified. the JSD recall, is an update to the computer. the technician has to drive it and capture several freeze frame data from your computer and send directly to toyota during the recall, so this was done after the transmission was replaced, and is letting Toyota know the transmission is operating properly. I can see the history for the transmission replacement and both the J0D and the JSD. I am very aware of certification levels needed for the recalls. we are very on top of it-this is what we do all day. i hope i answered all of your questions.
so at this point i just need to know if you would like to continue with the diagnosis?
Thank You ,
X

ME: 1. How many miles was the car driven after the update on the first transmission to conduct your test drive
2. How many miles was the car driven after the transmission replacement?

TOYOTA: 1. I can see on the invoice for the transmission replacement -they drove the car 10 miles . 2 you have driven 51634 since the transmission was replaced.

ME: 1. The JSD recall was performed on which transmission?
2. How many test drives did you do the first time I brought the car in and how many test drives did you do the second time?

TOYOTA: I don't understand, you want us to do the diagnostic?
the JSD is a software update done to the computer, it was done after the transmission was replaced. i do not have a way to check how many times they test drive your vehicle each time you bring it in, i can see the miles on the invoice, that is recorded to Toyota. please let me know what you would like to do at this point.?

ME: X Your help is truly much appreciated but please be patient and help me with these questions. I am a customer with a problem - you are here to help me with my problem therefore please answer my questions.
If you do not know how to answer these questions. Please Get me your supervisor or anyone up the chain of command who will.
———
1. What exactly was replaced on 4/12/18? The ENTIRE transmission brand new or the CVT valve body assembly? This distinction is important to me.
2. Once again however, please talk to who can answer this for me: after whatever replacement you did — I need to know the following;
A. How many test drives were conducted with Techstream on the CVT solenoid valve voltage fluctuations.
B. What was the data on the voltage tests conducted. I need numbers.
C. What is the NORMAL voltage range and how did the test drives compare to it. Again, numbers.

TOYOTA: the whole transmission was replaced. i do not have these answers for you. the tech sends the information to toyota that is requested. . You can contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331 to see if they can give you more specific for normal voltage range. etc. that is more of a engineers area-we give the data they ask for and they determine for us what is normal on that particular recall.

Wednesday - 2/17/21

ME: Good morning X and Thank you for your patience answering everything thus far. Before I take the next step and proceed further up the chain of command here. I want some more information for my own reference.
1. I want the names of all the techs who inspected my car the FIRST time I came in with the problem as well as the SECOND time when a completely NEW transmission was installed. Every single one. Including the service manager, down to the techs who test drove the car.
2. I want the name of the tech who inspected my car THIS Monday and relayed the information to You to repeat.
3. I want to know what this tech / team did to suspect the particular problem he relayed to you. What kind / type of inspection was performed.
Thank you. Respectfully. X

TOYOTA: Good Afternoon X,
What I can tell you is the technician on Monday is X---he did preliminary inspection, we believe your vehicle needs a transmission. as I advised we need to do fluid pressure check and pull the transmission pan to inspect inside to confirm that finding. at this point we need to know if you would like to proceed with the diagnosis. My manager has offered a discounted rate to diagnose $420.00 plus tax ,which will go toward the repair if you decide to fix it once we are done the diagnosis. if you do not wish to diagnose I can have it ready for you to pick up. please let me know.
Thank You,
X

ME: Once again. I repeat.
1. I want the names of all the techs who inspected my car the FIRST time I came in with the problem as well as the SECOND time when a completely NEW transmission was installed. Every single one. Including the service manager, down to the techs who test drove the car.
2. I need the full name of Mr. X and What constitutes a “preliminary inspection”
Thank you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
One thing I may say, those mechanics that did your CVT may have under filled or over filled your transmission fluid. One of the reasons why I do my own maintenance on my car especially transmission fluid since it needs to be very specific amount and it needs to be done with temperature check. Only thing I did with the dealership was change my valve body for a noise that was done with warranty. 1 week later, I changed my CVT fluid because I wasn’t too sure if the mechanic that worked on my car filled it correctly or not. Since these transmissions are very sensitive to it. I got 62k miles on my 16 scion iM and it’s shifting smooth AF.

iggzee,
Joseph may very well be correct about the fluid level, it is a complicated pain to get the level correct, but they have special tools to make sure the level is where it needs to be based on the temperature of the fluid. My local toyota dealership WOULD NOT do a fluid change for my transmission. 2016 iM. i'm confident their techs are trained.
i'm not taking the dealership side on these comments, but perhaps your grilling discussion you posted won't bear you the fruit you desire. the tech is trying to figure out what you are wanting and to just do his or her job. they understand you are upset, i would be too, but aren't in a position to make the changes you want. Your course of action will likely be with Toyota Corp office. They should realize a transmission shouldn't be failing like your's did and with all the proper fixes in place and a new transmission, it shouldn't fail 51k miles later. They will want to rule out things like care of the vehicle you took, did you race your car or drive reckless with it, that is a natural course they will take, but if you are calm and work with them, they will likely work with you to fix the problem. i know its frustrating to be in the situation you are in, but i find being level headed with corp offices helps to get things resolved. please keep us in the loop how things go with them and i'll good vibes your way to help. that is the best i can do.

·
1,417 Posts
My local toyota dealership WOULD NOT do a fluid change for my transmission.
Please expand on this somewhat cryptic comment.
They didn't want your$$$?
They didn't know how?
They didn't think it needed it?
Something else??????

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues your having with your rolla. I don’t want to sound like a downer but the first gen of CVT and CVT in general won’t last. I would move back one generation with the standard 4 speed auto if you don’t get any good solutions. I’ve received many comments from CVT owners that the transmission is bad on pretty much all makes.. Niss, Toyo, Hon... and personally driving them, I especially have a distaste for such trans. A real trans has gears, not bands.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Please expand on this somewhat cryptic comment.
They didn't want your$$$?
They didn't know how?
They didn't think it needed it?
Something else??????
when i got my iM in 2018, it needed the firmware fix so i took it to my dealership to have them perform the update..
i asked the technician and the lead technician, what they would charge for a transmission fluid change and very strongly their response was we only change fluid when we have to work on a transmission to open it up. otherwise they refused to just change the fluid. i asked if their service folks were trained to do a fluid change and they said yes but again i was told by them that fluid was meant to be a lifetime fluid and not to be changed.

this topic has been discussed in exasperating detail on this board if you search you can read for hours and hours about lifetime fluid vs regular changes and longevity of such actions.

i found the whole conversation with them baffling and just changed the fluid myself following toyota's service manual. and great advice from Joseph Juguilion and others on the board from doing an exhaustive search prior to changing the fluid.

also the manual in the vehicle says it should be changed at 60k miles under hard service conditions. honestly where i live and the short drives to work along with all the other driving i do across the country, i consider it to be "harsh condition" and just change the fluid. others here on the board change it more often and have very high miles to show for it.

so i don't know what the dealership was thinking as to why they said what they said, i'm not typically the trusting type for any mechanic, which is why i do 99.9% of the work on my own cars for everything.

·
1,417 Posts
I know that the fluids discussions are extensive and interminable, and everyone wants us to do it their way.

What I didn't know (until you just told me) were the details of the conversation you had. I hate being dealt with in a patronizing manner. Perhaps you encountered the unicorn of dealer service departments. 🦄

1 - 20 of 85 Posts