Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,444 Posts
@TedL many shops prefer not to build in place these days. Many dealers and independent shops find it more lucrative to just R&R. Less down time and ability to take on new work. This is why it's a gamble all the time.
Yup. Honda doesn't pay for internal repairs under warranty, at least on some of their lines. I own one. If it's gotta' be opened up to repair, they supply a new one.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I was asking if there's no one who will repair in place, or completely disassemble and rebuild your tranny.
Feasible but would cost an arm and a leg in time. That's why most if not all shops will rather install a used one or a refurbished from a specialized plant.

·
1,444 Posts
It also seems that CVTs are often totally trashed inside and so need a lot of expensive parts, making them cost almost as much as new.

·
1,444 Posts
I'm not contradicting your experience with the following: I just looked up the latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings based on subscriber surveys, and the 2015 Corolla shows in the highest category, overall and for transmission issues. So, two tranny failures at ~ 50k miles seems like it would be a real outlier. Will your experience revert to the norm if you go for a third? It would seem so, unless something about your driving habits or places is causing or contributing.

Back when I was young and foolish (at least one of those has changed) I went though a few clutches on my '71 Corolla 1200. Power shifting was one of the ways I flogged those 72 ponies. Ok, please stop laughing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm not contradicting your experience with the following: I just looked up the latest Consumer Reports reliability ratings based on subscriber surveys, and the 2015 Corolla shows in the highest category, overall and for transmission issues. So, two tranny failures at ~ 50k miles seems like it would be a real outlier. Will your experience revert to the norm if you go for a third? It would seem so, unless something about your driving habits or places is causing or contributing.

Back when I was young and foolish (at least one of those has changed) I went though a few clutches on my '71 Corolla 1200. Power shifting was one of the ways I flogged those 72 ponies. Ok, please stop laughing.
TedL - if one of the negative driving habits constitutes having driven rideshare between 2018 - early 2020. Guilty. If it's racing the car and pushing it to the limit day in and day out - No.

You see the first transmission issue is a known problem. The second transmission, a brand new one to go bad only after 50K seems suspect? No?

·
1,444 Posts
TedL - if one of the negative driving habits constitutes having driven rideshare between 2018 - early 2020. Guilty. If it's racing the car and pushing it to the limit day in and day out - No.
I'm just trying to contribute to your decision making process, not judge. Not even a question, just a point for you to consider in your decision making. To me, the "factor" is "It's failed twice despite my moderate driving habits". A strong negative on the tranny, nothing you can change to increase likelihood of a good outcome. As opposed to "Well, maybe I can use a different vehicle to tow that 30 foot trailer."

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
One thing I may say, those mechanics that did your CVT may have under filled or over filled your transmission fluid. One of the reasons why I do my own maintenance on my car especially transmission fluid since it needs to be very specific amount and it needs to be done with temperature check. Only thing I did with the dealership was change my valve body for a noise that was done with warranty. 1 week later, I changed my CVT fluid because I wasn’t too sure if the mechanic that worked on my car filled it correctly or not. Since these transmissions are very sensitive to it. I got 62k miles on my 16 scion iM and it’s shifting smooth AF.
I do my own maintenance too as I don't trust others to do thing correctly. It would be hard to know if they installed the replacement transmission properly or not at this point but I would expect it to have some type of warranty. This sure does make me happy that I have a 6MT in my 17 Corolla iM. I have one CVT that my wife drives, it's a 2010 Prius but the hybrid CVT is a much more robust, bulletproof planetary gear design.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
Thank you for the advice rich. I wasn't even aware of "lemon laws" that looks to be one of the options if there's no help whatsoever.

They still haven't answered my questions from Wednesday. Went silent all day yesterday. Does it make sense to keep pressing them for answers or just start calling Corporate even if I don't get what I want out of them in terms of information? Maybe even explain that to Corporate as well?

Here was my next step: "Good morning, X. You have until end of today to provide me with the answers to my questions from Wednesday that went unanswered yesterday (Thursday, 2/18). Further action will be taken with Toyota Corporate against your dealership and repairs done to the transmission on my car in 2018 after that. Thank you"

Obviously at this point they don't care, as they were pushing for that expensive diagnostic multiple times throughout the exchange.
Most lemon laws are only if a repair has been made 3 times. Your repair has happened only once and failed. It would have to happen and fail 3 times. I think that you have a good case with the points you've made and a good conversation with Toyota Corporate should get the ball rolling.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
I looked at VA's lemon law and sadly I'm not going to be qualified for it. Convenient for Toyota however and their CVTs + the nuances that go with those "repairs" - So at this point Corporate is the next thing. Should my contacting the offices be approached in terms of "filing a claim" ? or a "friendly call" ?
Always start with a friendly request. I've helped customers many times and the friendly customer would always get farther more quickly. When people called that were angry, mean, or nasty they got very little help or sympathy.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts

I had a 69 Corolla 1.1L 4MT and I only had 48hp. I don't remember the 1200 being anywhere close to 72hp. My memory was between 55-60hp. I had a 82 Tercel with a 1.5L 4MT that had a whopping 60hp. It did 0-60 in 14.5 seconds. That's why I laugh when people today say how slow their Corolla is, they have no clue. That being said I loved both of those cars.

Reactions: jolly

·
1,444 Posts
The GM Powerglide!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I put together a Timeline of Repair Events document that I am going to use tomorrow once I call Corporate. Maybe some of you can glance at it and suggest anything else to add as far as what information I should be sharing with a CSR.

1. Bring in my car for an oil change on April 7, 2018 and make the techs aware of a transmission problem I’m experiencing.
  2. A J0D Service Campaign is performed.
  3. Problem still persists, so I take the car for a second opinion at R&G Auto on Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria, Virginia. They perform a diagnostics and drive the car for a bit - do not know what is wrong with it. Waive the fee and recommend I take it back to Toyota.
  4. I drive the car back to Toyota on 4/11/2018 while experiencing the transmission problem and record evidence of the speedometer. Show it to them.
  5. The JSD Recall (update to the computer) gets implemented on 4/11/2018.
  6. A whole new transmission gets replaced on 4/12/2018 at around 49,843 miles. (Points 5-6 are answers I received from a clerk with whom I am conversing currently while my car is in the shop as of February 2021)
  7. Flash forward to October 22, 2020 at around 101,477 miles my car just dies while I’m driving. Can’t Drive, Can’t Reverse. Can only Park and put it to Neutral. I tow my car to my property and let it sit there while I figure out what to do.
  8. Flash forward to February 13, 2021 - I get my car finally towed back to the dealership at which the repairs were performed in 2018.
  9. They notify me that the diagnostic fee is $140.95 on 2/15/21 - then shortly that day notify again that the tech believes the issue is internally in the transmission and want to do a “transmission oil pressure test” and “pull the transmission oil pan to see what is going on inside - looking for any metal shavings. Etc” - at this point the cost skyrockets to $489.35 of which they are willing to go for a discount down to “$420.00 plus tax"
  10. Let it be noted that the clerk with whom I was having a conversation about the history of the repairs between February 14 through February 17 at which point she stopped answering questions - sounded patronizing, dodged certain important questions I was asking concerning repairs and tests conducted and hurried me to give her an answer on the costly diagnostic.
  11. According to Page 1 of the T-CP-JSD-A110-D - dealer letter.pdf "Damage to the vehicle’s transmission could occur if the vehicle is driven with the updated software prior to replacing the valve body assembly” not sure how this stacks up to Point 5 and Point 6 but it seems if her answers are correct the Update was conducted to a computer on 4/11 and test driven then the day after a whole new transmission gets put in? I do not understand this part. It seems to contradict the directives from the official dealer letter.
  12. The clerk also stressed that my warranty is finished. Yet Page 4 of the MC-10149185-9999.pdf it is stated that "Where a CVT replacement is required due to the vehicle exhibiting the JSD condition (DTC P2820 is present), the majority of these replacements will be covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Powertrain Warranty. However, in limited cases where the vehicle is no longer covered by regular warranty and CVT assembly replacement is required, DSPM authorization to replace the CVT assembly is required. Follow the steps below to obtain DSPM authorization.” Again, not sure how this works out in my situation but it seems like it warrants attention.
  13. At this point, I am seeking official help from Toyota as I do not believe the dealership at which my transmission repairs were made is going to help me as they want me to pay for a costly diagnostic just to figure out what is wrong and then possibly replace a transmission once again.
  14. The research that I have done by myself and through a Toyota Nation Forum where I got some advice also points at a possibility of: 1. “The mechanics under-filling or overfilling the transmission fluid” and that it needs to be done precisely. and 2. It’s a Valve Body problem. 3. One of the questions I asked the clerk which was unanswered was “How many times was the test drive conducted” and according to Page 19 of MC-10149199-9999.pdf that 3 test drives are mentioned. And only about 1 was in the history of my car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
iggzee, reading your timeline, looks good. actually you brought up something i have a question on. something about a warranty of the new transmission that was put in. original warranty of the car was 60k miles, once the transmission was replaced with a new one, does that give the new transmission a similar warranty?

one thing you should outline in your document is what specifically you feel Toyota should do. you have the supporting information that illudes to it, but outlining what you want them to do (without emotion).

i hope things go well with corporate. please keep us updated on how things go.

side note, depending on where you live, there are people here on the board who may live near you and can or are willing to help you get things replaced.
just a quick look at car-part.com i was able to find several CVT $600 with 3k-6k miles on them.
if you have a friend who is handy or someone on this board, maybe you will be able to fix your situation if Toyota won't help you out. i hope they do.
just let us know, hopefully we all were able to help you out. i picked up some good info from Ted and others as well..

·
1,444 Posts
I don't remember the 1200 being anywhere close to 72hp. My memory was between 55-60hp.
I searched the web and managed to find a sales brochure that included my '71 Corolla 1200, and you are correct that I had the HP wrong. I was LOW by 1HP...actual claimed HP was 73. I did remember the correct CID of 71. Also, bear in mind that at that time all manufacturers used to advertise gross HP, obviously higher numbers than after the change.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
I searched the web and managed to find a sales brochure that included my '71 Corolla 1200, and you are correct that I had the HP wrong. I was LOW by 1HP...actual claimed HP was 73. I did remember the correct CID of 71. Also, bear in mind that at that time all manufacturers used to advertise gross HP, obviously higher numbers than after the change.
Good point! I wish that I still had my 69 Corolla. I loved that car. A drunk driver hit me and totaled back in 1981. It had over 400k miles and still had the original alternator and starter. The engine and transmission had never been opened up or worked on. Even the clutch was still original! It was my grandads and he gave it to me for my high school graduation. It was my first car and will always be missed.

Reactions: rich_d

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
Hey everyone. I put together a Timeline of Repair Events document that I am going to use tomorrow once I call Corporate. Maybe some of you can glance at it and suggest anything else to add as far as what information I should be sharing with a CSR.
I think that this sounds well worded and to the point. I'm still not certain about the warranty that is on the new transmission that was installed and has now failed. Is it covered for 60k miles? What you have outlined is good though and I'm looking forward to hearing what they say. Toyota needs to step up and take care of this for you. And if they do, maybe think about getting a new car. Maybe look at a new Corolla hybrid since they have the planetary gear CVT which is much different but has been bulletproof in the hybrids. Another option is a new 12th gen Corolla with the CVT that has the actual launch gear or IMO get a Corolla with a 6-speed manual. They are a lot more fun to drive and the manuals don't have any issues.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts